Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A cupboard full of Regency knick-knacks...

A cupboard full of Regency knick-knacks

In this section of Mrs Darcy's Story Site you'll soon find all sorts of little pieces of information on the Georgian and Regency era... facts, figures, anecdotes... anything. Through the years Mrs Darcy has collected quite a few books that contain such interesting information that she feels it should be shared for your entertainment... And, as you know, that's exactly what Mrs Darcy likes to do best: entertain you.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Just post a message in the special thread in the message forum, and Mrs Darcy will take care of the rest.

Re: A cupboard full of Regency knick-knacks...

This is just great. Mrs Darcy, I offer my own collection of Regency words and expressions taken from various novels by Jane Austen, my own research work, and the explanation of terminology in modern English. It's yours at your will.SmileyCentral.com

Thanks Eli, ME and of course I'd be much obliged! I want it to be fun and entertaining...

So short explanations of suprising, interesting and fun things is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for this Renée! You rock! :D

Thay sounds like a piece of creation. You will have to wait for it...but I will glady prepare it.

What a great idea Renee!

TY, my dears. I'm looking forward to post. Did you already check out Sue's encyclopedia? It's amazing.

Today I purchased Wives and daughters: women and children in the Georgian country house, in which the lives of individual women are traced and subjects such as courtship, marriage and childbirth are raised, as well as education, houses, reading, hobbies, travels etc. etc. So interesting!

Will be in Zurich by the middle of next week, but hope to have some thingies prepared before my departure.

Inspired by Eli's new chapter, I've posted some information on 19th century hair jewellery.

You'll find it here

Thanks Eli!

Lovely ! Great idea! Will have to find more of these little somthings!

Oh yes, please, this is so cool. I'm such a sucker for details, little daily life thingies... Forget the the great lines sometines, due to that...

I was just looking at all the photos of the hair jewelery. Wouldn't it be great if DNA could be extracted to see whose ancestors the hair belonged. One of the ancestors could be yours or mine.

Just a thought.

Thank you for this site and this forum.

Mo

Wouldn't it be great if DNA could be extracted to see whose ancestors the hair belonged. One of the ancestors could be yours or mine.

What an interesting thought, Mo! Imagine just that... to find out about ancestors in that way?

Puffing Billy

Just added some information on the first steam locomotive. Enjoy!

Interesting. The Rocket, and subsequent locomotives, though, used to transport mery workers to the pits and mines,not ordinary passengers. The train as we are used to see them now was introduced much later. It is unlikely that our beloved characters ever used them. I said this, because I intended to make Darcy's offspring travel by train by 1840 , but in my research that would have been impossible, unless he/she worked in a mine!

No, Eli that's not true. The first passenger line was opened in England in 1830, but bewteen 1830 and 1850 the infrastructure was very limited of course. Still, if they were to do this one Liverpool-Manchester, I bet Darcy's offspring would have a fantastic experience! Initially people in those days were scared to death, but that changed rapidly. That's always the case with things one has never seen before...

Had some fun today with a book I've bought in my 'own' shop: Samuel johnson's insults. A hoot! Find out more in the cupboard full of knick-knacks

R~