General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Glenn in Memoriam at Oscars

Hi Peg,

At 11:45pm eastern time, they finally did In Memoriam. They gave Glenn a total of 8 seconds, but no one else got more than that. He was part of the montage, but he was the first to be shown which is a sign of respect. They showed three different moving photos of him, which is what they did with about everyone. The second was him turning around, and I know it was from "Pocketful of Miracles". The first and third, I don't know, but other friends are trying to figure them out, too. The first was Glenn walking turning his head inside somewhere, and the third was Glenn sitting at a table, in a booth, maybe at a restaurant. The first and third were black and white and from sometime in the 1950's. He looked about late 30's, around age 40.

Yes, he deserved more, but was not singled out. I never expected anything different than the montage. At least he was first to be shown. There is no alphabetical order, because they put up Director Robert Altman last. June Allyson was fairly early on. They did include James Doohan, who was Scotty on Star Trek, which was nice. I taped the 3 minute and 45 second montage. There were other names like Jack Warden, Jane Wyatt, Red Buttons, etc, all mixed in with other people I don't know who were involved in set design and other professions.

Regards,

Desiree

Re: Glenn in Memoriam at Oscars

Thanks, Desiree. I'm surprised that they did it at the end of the show. What was the reaction from the crowd? I hope that they gave him a big cheer when his face came up on the screen. He certainly deserves that too!

Take care,

Peg

Re: Re: Glenn in Memoriam at Oscars

Hi Peg,

I was surprised to see it so late as well. The program ended about 12:20am. It was in between the major awards late at night. I always remember In Memoriam to occur in the middle of all the proceedings, thus about 2 hours into the program.

The audience clapped for each person as they were shown. You could hear the smattering of applause as each face was shown, sort of a gradual increase and then decrease during the seconds allowed for each, then increase and decrease again. In that way, you could hear the applause for each. No one person got any cheers. At the end, after the last person was shown, there was a big round of applause with cheers and whistles. I assume that's in appreciation for all of them.

Glenn was on first and they started clapping, but because he was on first, the applause wasn't as loud as it was for others that followed here and there. I guess the audience had to "warm up" so to speak. You know how it can be in the beginning of anything. Then, the audience seemed to get in the swing with the increase/decrease applause format for each. They did clap for Glenn, and there were others during this series who got the same relative level of applause, but there were others who got more.

I wouldn't say Glenn was slighted by the audience. They did clap. He was up first, and I think they had to warm up some. However, you could notice some greater applause for some other names, and maybe that's because Glenn has been off the scene for over 15 years, who knows. Others were still on TV or in movies longer and were more recent in people's minds. That's my guess why some others may have gotten stronger applause.

When it comes to that bunch out there, I can't read their minds. I just know Glenn never had the praise he was due, and they had plenty of time through the years for awards. At least the Academy put him up first, which I was informed by someone in the business, is a sign of respect.

I played back my clip series to analyze it further, and some of the other names I didn't mention earlier who are recognizable who got some stronger applause were....

Don Knotts
Darren McGavin
Joe Barbera
Maureen Stapleton
Carlo Ponti
Peter Boyle
Sidney Sheldon
Jack Palance

Regards,

Desiree