Danceclassics.net Soul/Funk Forum

The discussion center for 80`s Soul & Funk lovers. Post freely about the Music, Record Trading, MP3, Background Information etc. etc. Get in touch with other musiclovers and share your thoughts. Enjoy the forum and keep it funky!

Danceclassics.net Soul/Funk Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: distinguish between a fake and an original copy of the Dr. Togo record?

FunkEd
On side one you should read 'Leopardtronics' engraved in the dead wax area. The bootleg has a slightly different name. Hope that helps you.

Yo FunkEd,
i got an answer from a guy in Italy, this is what he wrote,
"unfortunately there are NO differences between the original and the repress, because Luigi Figini owns the master and repressed the record about 8 years ago.
Leonardo (dj Leopardo) Rececconi died years ago, was a good person and had no way to stop Figini. Figini and Severino Lombardoni are friends and had problems with justice.
Severino Lombardoni was arrested at the MIDEM Latin American and Caribbean Music Conference in September 1997, and stopped bootlegging. Figini is nowadays a poor person.
I live near Milan and i see Severino and Figini at record fairs; no one serious collector like to speak with them".

My Copy has Leopardtronics engraved, thanks a lot for your reply

hello FunkEd.
I saw your message about the word found on the run-out groove. some things do not.
That's what I have on the run out groove on SIDE 1 :

36 DBR- 15062-1L DD 15-1-82 LEOPARDTRONIC

and on SIDE 2 :

36 DBR- 15062-2L DD 15-1-82 LEOPARDTRONIC

You will notice that there is no "s" at the end of the word "LEOPARDTRONIC" .. then what do I think?
Let me know please, thank you
regards
J-C

Hi

I remember i did a comparision between an original Dr. Togo and a bootleg. There were definately differences, even the sound is different, like a swapped stereo sound. I will try and locate a false copy and compare again. Cheers.

The 's' you mention is crucial. Leopardtronic is a bootleg. Leopardtronics is an origina pressing.