Danceclassics.net Soul/Funk Forum

The discussion center for 80`s Soul & Funk lovers. Post freely about the Music, Record Trading, MP3, Background Information etc. etc. Get in touch with other musiclovers and share your thoughts. Enjoy the forum and keep it funky!

Danceclassics.net Soul/Funk Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Last, Great Boogie Year

Thank you for your input about my 1987 releases (You must go on & Let's Ride). In all honesty, my two songs were stolen from me and released illegally on "Pharoahs records" without my permission or knowledge. However, the positive side was that it sold extremely well! Since 1987, I re-recorded "You Must Go On and included it on my first self titled CD "JUNEI" which I am currently promoting and selling here in the U.S.
My website is...... junei.net

garagebeat, you're absolutely right about the melancholy feel of "i can't forget you"...and now that you mention it, "let's ride" has a drum machine pattern not atypical of a 1987 Chicago house record but yet sounding older. I heard a sample the flip called "you must go on" and it too doesn't sound like 1987-styled R&B.

Kelvy...dayumn is that 2 years since that trade already!?..lol...the older we get the faster time flies man..Do u have that Gigolo 12"? Mail you tomorrow...another late night of diggin' for Funk.

Hey Shadow, it was almost two years since that first trade! actually, i do not have the Eddie Fisher "Gigolo" but i am familiar with it thanks to an online mix i downloaded over a year ago...if you need the mix, let me know so i can send it over.

all the best! look forward to your words.

Yeah that would be great if u could send me the mix...all I have of Gigolo is the soundclip from here...no 45 and definetly no TWELWE INCH..lol

Check your email Shadow....it's smaller than a mini-disc though

82 is when the great boogie exploded but don't forget the good late 80's NEW-JACK SWING FUNK SOUNDS and sounds like PAUSE-IT'S JUST AMAZING, DONALD ALBERT-THE HARDEST PART, PURPLE GANG-SAY IT, BY ALL, MEANS, LILLO THOMAS, MILLIE SCOTT, SCOTT WHITE, ETC.... It's hard to pick the last great year because there was some good funk sounds all the way to the early 90's. 77-88 Fonk for life!!

Don't forget the good sounds of TONY TERRY. Great late 80's funky artist.

the last great boogie year for me is 1984. it was the last year you find the funky boogie style as a mainstream style in music business. there were lots of 12" (perhaps most in the danceclassics record gallery are from 84). in this year sound went to more poppy and less funky style.

for me the best years are 82 and 83 because the there were a fantastic mix of classic rhythm section with horns, synths and effects. great highlight in musical evolution to this time!!! you find in this years many really great jazz musicans who made or produced funk or funky music. this stand for great musical quality. after this time most of them went back to classic jazz.

and this was the time of the great funky music, dance and club labels. most of them went down after 83.

sure you can also find good tunes after 84. but this was not mainstream and you have to look a long time to find a pearl. also in the last years you can find good boogie tunes. really great is Eddie Craig - funktime on Spazzoid 12" in 2006. but til 84 you can find LPs that are strong records from begin to end. later there were only LPs with 1 or 2 strong boogie tunes.