Welcome to Chris Lawford Message Board

This message board is run with the website cklawford.com

Welcome to Chris Lawford Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HCV and the Single Woman

Hello Chris,

I was diagnosed with HepC seven months ago. I wrote to you at that time, when I read in the news that you came out and spoke about living with HepC. And so I use your forum today to share the reality, of the stigma that is attached to having Hep and being single.

I am a beautiful, happy, single lady who lives in the New York Metro area. Upon learning that I was infected, my boyfriend freaked, broke my heart and ended our relationship. I found a hepc dating.com I posted my profile, but I received some very disturbing messages from men who were quite ill and out of their minds from interferon.

I recently met and have started to date a lovely gentleman and I am dreading the moment I have to tell him... and know in my heart, that he may very well not want to see me again, for fear that I will give him the virus. This has happened several times during the past six months. Men have looked at me like I was the kiss of death. Before I learned that I was sick..I was considered quite sexy and desirable by single men.
Now it's like I live with a dirty little secret.

The most amazing thing is that I have been been told by my Dr., that I probably have been ill for decades and to this day, I am a 100% feel great, love life, kind of lady. If it were not for an elevated liver enzyme test, that was done on a routine physical..I would have no idea that I am infected with a blood to blood virus, that's killing my liver.

If there were more awareness about sex and being single with HepC.. then women like myself, could date and look forward to romance without the fear of hep rejection.

Alisa

Re: HCV and the Single Woman

Alisa,

Hang in there, not all guys are total freaky jerks & they are very hard to find. Know within yourself that you are a sexy, desirable lady & that should help you keep your confidence. When you're not looking, it seems that's when you meet someone or two.

I hope you have a good support group of friends to help you through this time. As for myself, when I was first diagnosed the farthest thing from my mind was dating, but it would be nice to have a significant other to help you share the HCV fight.

I wish you the best in your successful treatment. Just yesterday I found out 4/20/2008 is when my treatment ends. Good luck, Susie

Re: HCV and the Single Woman

Dear Alisa,

Thank you for sharing your story here.
You probably already know this, but every doctor I speak with, tells me that sexual transmission of this disease is extremely rare. Shame on these men for being so small-minded. You're better off without them and you will find someone who understands this illness and will fully except you. Good luck! Chris