Return to Website

Welcome to Chris Lawford Message Board

This message board is run with the website cklawford.com

Welcome to Chris Lawford Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yes We CAN

As a person whose life has been influenced by family members suffering from the disease of addiction,I often reflect on the topic. I am sharing the thoughts I have had today with the intent that I may bring hope to others!
Today as I was walking along the Delaware River, I reflected upon the recent election of our 44th President, Barach Obama. As I thought about this proud and amazing moment in history , his constant affirmation, that marked the hope and spirit of his campaign kept ringing in my ears. It was the chant, "Yes, WE CAN ! " I mentally noted that he didn't say, "Yes, I can" or "Yes, you can" The pronoun he chose to express over and over again was we . You see, this wise and noble leader knew that whether you are the President of the United States of America or the clerk at the local grocery store, there is nothing that we can do alone. Throughout his campaign and as he begins his journey as our next President, he constantly endorsed the support of the American people. Focusing and leaning on the strength of that support, rather than the negativity of his opponents obviously paid off well in helping him to win the election. As he said, " I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to. It belongs to you. I was never the likeliest candidate for this office. We didn't start with much money or many endorsements. Our campaign was not hatched in the halls of Washington. It began in the backyards of Des Moines and the living rooms of Concord and the front porches of Charleston. It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give $5 and $10 and $20 to the cause.
It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep."
Victory came to our country by soliciting the right kind of support.
What victory are you trying to achieve in your life?Is it the victory of a lifetime of recovery from addiction? Have you felt or been told that your success is unlikely? Who is the we in your life and what effect will that we have on your life. If you are an addict and your we consists of old people, places and things associated with alcohol, drugs or your addiction, you will end up on a journey like the passengers of the Titanic. At first, it will seem like the ride will be grand and glorious, but it will not only take you nowhere, it will inevitably sink and result in your end. However, there is the choice to take another path, a simpler path that perhaps may require of you some work and like President elect Obama, soliciting support . You can chose a simple rowboat and fill that boat with people strong in their recovery , and the strength of their arms ,their spirit and their experience will be a model for your own recovery and will help bring you safely and joyfully to the shores of a life of renewed health and recovery of your own. You can endorse the support of sponsors, AA or NA programs,spiritual leaders, uplifting music, literature, nature and above all a Higher power.The recovery that one cannot achieve alone can come with the support and strength of many. Out of one , we are many and as President elect Obama said, "out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope. And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, we can. "Isn't it funny that we in English is spelled oui in French which means, yes !
So over and over again seek out the support and help you need to achieve the life of your dreams, believe you can achieve it and tell youself constantly, Yes, We CAN!!