Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jacos bass

hey i found jacos bass that was put onto ebay a while back.
wishes to ingrid and the twins to get it back if possible
http://www.timeelect.com/stuff60bass.htm
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Listening To: jaco,stanley,victa,miroslav,rufus reid

Re: jacos bass

THANKS Zwelakhe! Yes, that is THE bass, I hear that Rich is a super nice person, that he held that bass, as seen in the photo, when it was still in the hands of the individual who sold it via eBay.

I have heard this bass is in good hands now, and if that is true, then I hope he/she holds on to it, and remains anonymous, in case unscrupulous characters are after it.

It would be difficult for the family to have it, since there are four children who all have a right to it.

Jaco said that someday his basses will be in the Smithsonian, he had foresight, so I hope that it comes true, though it sure would be nice if the Twins could simply hold it in their hands one day, something they never had a chance to do, since they were 5 when he passed, especially because they are musicians too. What a thrill that would be for them.

Thanks for posting the pics, I didn't know one could do that in this forum, very cool.

Jaco's basses are sacred. I agree, to simply hold it would be.....I have no words to describe what that would be like.

I have been called a weirdo cause I have stated to certain people that my basses have their own individual personality. When I see pics of Jaco's basses, especially his fretless 62, they speak to me, as inanimate as they may be.

Hold the phone... unless o've misread this, and i did a little research, Jaco's "bass of doom" was sold on ebay?
I found the auction i believe but it had expired and is not in ebay's data bank (or whatever it is)

From what i've gathered alot of other "alleged" basses that belonged the Jaco were sold as well. If anybody could really list all these basses and their legitmacy/story that'd great. It bugs me that these people wouldn't return these basses to the Pastorius' if they are genuinely the basses they claim to be!

ps. sorry, bit of a rant i suppose

here u go L.Bailey this is wat i found. but can you post the link of were the "bass of doom" was auctioned.and even though im so young and dont know everything about his basses, i have read that this bass of doom was actually painted purple after being fixed. and im not so sure on how accurate this information enclosed in the bottom are.
sincerely
Zwelakhe

1967 Fender Jazz
Fifteen-year-old Jaco got his first electric bass, a new sunburst Fender Jazz with binding and pearl blocks, in 1967. He strung it with La Bella flatwounds and played it through a Sunn amp in Las Olas Brass, and with the organ trio Woodchuck. It was his main electric until 1971.

1960 Fender Jazz, SN 026100
Jaco's '67 Jazz was louder, but he preferred the smoother, sweeter sound of Bobbing's black '60 stack-knob with clay dots on a rosewood neck. Jaco eventually sold this instrument-refretted-to bassist/guitarist John Paulus for $425 around 1971.

1974 acoustic bass guitar
Jaco and luthier Larry Breslin co-designed a fretless, 5-string acoustic bass guitar with a high C string; upon completion, Jaco paid Breslin $500. It featured a 34"-scale neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with maple veneer fretmarkers, Brazilian rosewood back and sides and a spruce top. Jaco strung it with Rotosound roundwounds. In later years, the headstock broke off and Jaco brought the bass to Kaufman. He still has it.

1962 Fender Jazz, a.k.a. the "Bass of Doom," SN 64437
Like the fate of a mythic hero's mighty weapon, the original condition and final resting place of the world's most famous fretless are shrouded in mystery. Its legendary tone was well documented through every era of Jaco's career, and he himself told several versions of the tale.According to Bill Milkowski's August '84 Guitar Player cover story, the '62 Jazz was already fretless when Jaco bought it in Florida for $90. Upon meeting Kaufman in 1978, Jaco told him he removed the frets himself with a butter knife and filled in the slots and missing fingerboard chunks with Plastic Wood, followed by several brushed-on coats of Petite's Poly-Poxy. Kaufman's first job for Jaco was to replace the peeling epoxy, which he did by using his own method of pouring on the epoxy in one treatment and shaping it with a rasp. According to Kaufman, Jaco left it in New York's Central Park shortly before his death. It hasn't been seen since.

1960 Fender Jazz, SN 57308
Jaco's main fretted Jazz Bass, a two-tone sunburst, of average weight and "very resonant" according to Kaufman. This was Jaco's main bass on tour with Joni Mitchell; it can be seen and heard on her Shadows and Light album and DVD. Its whereabouts are unknown.

Early '60s Fender Jazz, SN 82429
During his 1982 Word of Mouth tour of Japan, Jaco threw this bass into Hiroshima Bay; Ibanez Guitars then refinished it natural. Shigeru Uchiyama's photographs of Jaco and this bass appear in promotional material for the live Twins and Invitation albums, on the back cover of Invitation , and on BP 's Jan/Feb '91 cover. According to Kaufman, Jaco didn't like this bass as much as the others. Its whereabouts are unknown.

1963 Fender Jazz, SN L14769
The opening shot of Jaco's DCI instructional video, Modern Electric Bass , shows Jaco slotting the nut on this bass. The original neck was being repaired at the time, so Jaco installed a '70s Fender Precision neck on the Jazz body. This bass wound up at Albert Molinaro's Guitars R Us shop in Los Angeles and was sold to a collector with the original and the P-Bass necks.

1960 Fender Jazz
Longtime Buddy Guy bassist Greg Rzab bought one of Jaco's final Jazz Basses from the Pastorius family in 1994. Rzab played the bass, apparently used by Jaco during a six-month stretch of intense practicing in 1986, on Guy's 1994 album Slippin' In . "I used it on 'Lover with a Feeling,' and it was really alive in the studio-the notes and harmonics jumped out of that bass." Greg eventually sold it to a good friend-a famous bassist who chooses to remain anonymous. "It's in good hands and being kept safe."

Listening To: "coyote" joni mitchell

no no, the BOD (Bass of Doom) didn't sell on eBay. No one knows where it is.

Jaco's main basses were the:

FRETLESS '62 JAZZ AKA "BASS OF DOOM"
and
FRETTED '60 TWO-TONE SUNBURST

The desired FRETTED two-tone pictured above was placed on eBay a few years back, and was bought by someone who chooses to remain anonymous.

THE FAMOUS FRETLESS bass of doom is missing.

The one that recently sold to someone in Japan is a
BLACK 1960 Fender Jazz, SN 026100 Jaco had for a short while before selling it to John Paulus. The auction can be viewed at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JACO-PASTORIUS-VERY-FIRST-PRE-CBS-JAZZ-BASS_W0QQitemZ7337103325QQcategoryZ64400QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another 1960 Fender Jazz Jaco didn't play much was sold several years back to Buddy Guy's bassist Greg Rzab by one part of Jaco's family. Jaco's twins and I had nothing to do with this sale.

Jaco's acoustic 5 string is with Kevin Kaufman.

The twins and I have an upright Jaco bought in 80, as well as Joni's mandocello she had given him, and he has recorded with.

In about 1998 a bass was sold for 40,000 bucks from a shop on 48th Street in NY that doesn't exist any longer, which had advertised it as the one used in the DCI video. The new owner of that bass, Randall, also sent the four kids 500 dollars each, as a kind gesture.

Listening To: Julius practicing the drums

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ingrid Zwelakhe, Appreciate it

What? Did Jaco play a fretted bass on the Shadows And Light-tour? It sounds like he is playing a fretless,
with that warm singing tone! It can't be!

He used both the fretless 'Bass of Doom'(mainly for the melodic and ballady stuff) and the fretted which is featured in this thread.So it probably is the fretless you are hearing.
But Jaco's Fretted sunburst DID have a very warm and rich sound - if only they still made 'em like that

Yeah, on The Joni DVD, the first shot of Jaco you see is his fingers and the distinctive wear mark on the upper part of the fretted on " in France they Kiss On Main Street" Though hearing it, you can barely tell which bass it is.

Listening To: dogs barking

Re: Re: jacos bass

Hi. Only just found this web site, Loads of information. I have been a bass player for more years than I care to remember and a devoted fan of Jaco. Got just about everything he ever laid down and he has been the greatest inspiration to me. Thanks for putting the record straight re the fretless and the fretted bass/s of doom. I have long wondered where they were now. I have trawled web sites and skulked around music shops during my trips to the US to try and find something of Jaco's, to no avail. I guess I have his music and that is good enough. So sad we dont know were all the basses are though just to see them would be good enough. I bet some collector has them secreted away never to sing again. BUGGER!!!!
Have a great life.
Best Regards. Pete. Penn Bucks UK.

Listening To: Funk To Fusion

interesting.... The fella in the photo above has a shop in northern NJ. The seller on ebay said the item was located in northern NJ.

Listening To: SPONGEBOB

Is there any history on Jaco's first bass, the fretted jazz with the pearl inlays?

Listening To: Rock, blues, jazz

No Rich, don't know a thing about it... but it is a great inquiry.

Thanks for answering, Ingrid I had the same bass (late 60's jazz, three tone burst) that I bought from Rob Whitlock, hence my curiosity.

I know you have heard it a million times but I can't explain what an influence your husband was on the music scene (especially South Florida) in the 70's. It was very cool to be involved where the bar was raised so high, even at the high school and college level. I wonder if that same environment can exist today... I hope so.

Hats off to you, not only for this site and the memories but the job as a musicians wife, not the easiest in the world!

Thanks again.

Listening To: Rock, blues, jazz

Re: jacos bass of doom

no mystery at all, the bass was stolen by CHARD HAINES and sold to an x friend of mine who was in the right place at the right time and had a rich dad.

wat bass are you talking about? fretless or fretted?

That would be the fretted one, Zwelakhe.

And Friend, you just confirmed my suspicions. I knew this guy Chard sold it to JM, and JM had told the twins and I that Chard got the bass from Jaco in lieu of some equipment of his that Jaco had broken. I checked with Hiram, Kenwood, and some others if they remembered any such incident, and no one had.

Coincidentally I also received an email from someone who shared a small bit of info about the missing fretless beauty.

What a buzz!

yes jaco did break some equipment by throwing it down the stairs at 7th ave south. But the equipment was owned by me and not chard. After the equipment was repaired chard stole that too! And just to go the extra mile he stole another strat from me that had a floyd rose and several hundred dollars worth of duncan pickups.
He was to do some maintenance to the bass not steal it. In a sick twist chard had the bass on one occasion in pieces in a sack and jaco appeared and could feel its presence and asked chard if he had it and chard lied. LETS GET HIM greed beyond reason.

CAN YOU IMAGINE STEALING SUPERMANS CAPE????

there is a weird twist to the story that is the guy that got the bass in a twisted series of coincidents got it because he wore a jaco t shirt to the laundry near the berkley dorms 3 years earlier and i commented how much i liked, no loved jacos music. He was a fan too, just not one that cared about jaco, only his music. Chard is a compulsive thief and lier.
I spoke with ingrid or her daughter several years ago by phone as well as neal weiss and gave all the truthfull details, not rumers, i was there i knew both parties who met through me. I was a noninvolved enabler for good or bad.
yeah lets get him jaco deserved better he never got another proper bass before his untimely demise.
I saw no one around who was concerned about jocko except for othello. I also did a lot of setup work for jaco and was never paid and did a lot of babysiiting of him and his equipment and even after all my stuff was thrown down a flight of stairs i never complained.
Chard is prabably in connecticut sucking the life out of somthing like a leach. I know a lot more but the family knows what they need to know.

Hope to hear the twins one day or get their cds. Hope the twins get to meet jeff andrews one day. rip
francis you will live forever through

round up a posse

lets get him, yeah

would u tug at the lonerangers mask, you dont mess with slim.

does the family get money from fender for the jp reissue bass. ?? i hope so whats the deal. he made that instrument and invented the fretless.
Chard must be held accountable

you dont get to keep richard pettys charger just cause you put air in the tires.

Re: jacos bass of doom

the more i think about this the more i become infuriated that someone would take advantage of jaco when he was homeless and in a deteriated mental condition. this is when you help someone , not take his last worldly possessions, especially somthing he needed to MAKE A LIVING. What has become of us as a people. How would things be different if this happened today?

Friend, I never heard these details before, and am now wondering who you are, though there isn't a need for you to divulge that info, just puzzling. Like you, I too feel Chard was not to be trusted at the time, and is certainly a very nasty person for twisting the bass out of Jaco's hands. I am also sorry you lost your equipment then.

Jaco fan, yes, there is a deal between Jaco Pastorius Inc., and Fender regarding the reissue basses.

I agree with you, Fan from Bulgaria, people did take advantage of Jaco, even during the time he was not in any kind of mental episode, it happened on different levels, and it hurt Jaco a lot.

PS A cute bit of "coincidence", I read that when Jaco was born in December of 1951, during that same time Leo Fender introduced the Fender
Precision bass guitar.

i believe i spoke with mary and gave her all the details in the past, also neil from big world records. i will contact you if you wish the sorted details, that bass should be with the kids. jm claims he tried to sell it to you and you couldnt get together on a price but i doubt thats true. jm also screwed me on a lot of other deals using my friends and connections to make money and me lose money. in business you must be a scumbag from what i know now. why dont they teach this on the college level? mike stern was around and can collaberate my story. sue chard i will testify and give deposition no problem.
its a karma thing had i had $ i would have gotten for jaco but it wasnever offered to me only my scumbag rich buddy. i told ch to give jaco the and do the repair for free but than he had other plans and sold it to cheap prabably.
he also contacted my family trying to get it back saying jm had stolen it or i had stolen it. thats when i knew chard was possibly the biggest scumbag in the world and i hope his life is a living hell for simply stealing and lieing.

talk to mary and she will tell you or neal. i can be reached, i dont have email right now but i hope to be back up soon and if needed i can call you if you need ANYTHING.

i was around when you visited ny with the twins and things were not good. i did a lot of stuff to help jaco and never got paid, but thats life.

jm tried to contact me 4 years ago in an e mail and i told him he was a greedy ******* and told him how i felt.]

he was in the right place at the right time.

lets write a screen play i have an interesting twist to blend 3 interlopeing true stories together or a book that is accurate. i know people at dreamworks and disney.

I hear your frustration, it sounds like you've been taken advantage of, thank you for looking out for Jaco, and his basses. I also appreciate you sharing your experiences, possibly bringing some clarity to this situation. Of course, feel free to contact me via email once you have the means to do so.

hey friend. i think you and chad were more than just friends. maybe you guys should get back togather and go see broke back mountain.you are totaly full of ****t.it was offerd to you and you tried to buy it but you did not have enough cash or any thing your asswipe friend wanted in trade.the guy that was in the right place at the right time as you put it just beat you to the punch. and you set up the deal if i rememder it corectly.

and just to add, there was no talk by you of any thing being stolen when you set the deal up and advertised it as a legit deal. and your ex friend who bought it paid top dollar for what it was worth. and what he traded would be worth many tens of thousands now. maybe he had more money than you because his money did not go up in smoke. i cant believe you would put this spin on this thing. that bass was offerd to alot of people and the first guy to come up with the bread got it. how could a stolen bass as you claim it was be put on the open market. something is not right about what you claim to know. and what was your cut for finding a buyer?

the guy who called you four years ago and owned it then is a guy who works a nasty job, 10 hours a day to pay his house note and keep health insurance for his wief and kid.how in the world do you think he should just give away a large investment like that.just what is was worth as a fender bass was more than the family was able to pay. and if he thought he bought a stolen bass than why would he advertise it for sale publicly on ebay. i think you just want to be a hero now and talk ****t. if you were so concearned about being a hero than you should have organized a charity fund to cash the owner out of his investment. and the guy that started this thread makes me laugh also. i think he was trying to buy it himself and could not aford it so he thought he would act like a hero himself. and if it were stolen than why would your ex friend let him play it and take pictures of the event. you need to get your story straight or stop posting bull****t about this bass and your ex friend.

and this whole thing is a good plug for time electronics dont you think?

tera must be jm s wife obviously who did not know either of us at the time. tera is defending the guy that bought the bass. i didnt arrange the sale or try to buy a bass that was jacos, nor did i profit in any way from the sale, in fact i lost money due to theft from both parties . tera could also be chards wife. what is time electronics? your obviously barking up the wrong tree. you were not there at the time and are obviously using a public board to mislead, lie, spread blame, and protect the interests of liers and thieves.

you are obviously are very very sick and self centered person that believes that its ok to buy stolen property of one of our jazz legends and than try to lie your way out of it. you could also be jims sister. remember lets stick to the truth,what did you gain from this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$????????????????????????????????????????

do you need the money of others to live????????????

tera is jm wife.

yes tera i agree, you should make a fair profit on your investment in jacos stolen bass, and yes the money should go to pay the insurance on your kids and yes i should go see brokeback mountain and yes i am gay and yes i got a million dollar commision check from your greedy husband and yes i begged chard to steal jacos bass and yes you cant spell wife and yes i told jaco to be bi polar and yes the world is better off with people like you and yes i am trying to be a hero. you are truly a great human bean. thank you for setting us all straight. what would we do without you. thank you for setting the record clear.buy stolen for cheap sell hi take the money and raise monkeys spawned from the seed of satan. thank you so much

"friend" and "tera", these posts are becoming uncomfortable to read, and in my opinion do not resolve a thing, nor are they conducive to honoring Jaco. Only those who were involved with any transactions that took place know in their hearts what is truth, which is now moot. It has all been said and done, and since you both possibly knew Jaco, let's focus on the fact that it is now in good hands with someone who must have paid a pretty penny for it, and who most likely wants to honor the instrument as well as Jaco. Again, my hope is that it will someday go to a museum, as would it be tremendously special if the twins could see it, and Felix even play it.

Yes, I agree. With all due importance to the subject at hand, the words " drama" & "soap opera" come to mind. Knowing what happened to the bass IS important, but all the infighting & nastiness go against the positive tone onf the site
-A

Listening To: myself playnig " Blackbird"

yea this is pretty petty. all i wanted was to show the jaco's bass. no bickering. just wanted to show that im a huge jaco fan and that i had found his bass one day in my schools library. peace to all

Listening To: dania

ya friend, you got it all figured out your a real einstein. just like the einstein on the gearpage.

You're really smart Tera. I wish more people
were like you. You're the greatest. Ingrid
probably jumped up in excitement and cried
tears of joy when she saw your first post on
the forum dedicated to her deceased husband.
I'd go as far as saying she considers you as
the most important contributor ever on this site.
Your wisdom enlightens us all, and you're
superior to all of us. God bless you for
your participation. Jaco is sitting in heaven
applauding your considerable effort in making
this site a better place. Thank you.

hi ingrid how can i contact you about recent and slanderous comments. its amazing how the truth compells people to lie, slander and place blame on others for their actions. its even sadder that the one in question cant defend himself.

ask pat metheny where it is.

http://flickr.com/photos/sfitzstephens/177217603

http://flickr.com/photos/sfitzstephens/177217605

http://flickr.com/photos/sfitzstephens/177217606

Listening To: Loud neighbors' music

have you guys seen this?

http://www.ublog.com/jazzbassfender/2006/02/22

I have seen those pics. They were the ones used in the ebay listing some years back.

jaco's main fretless bass has been found a few weeks ago and is due to be written about tin one of the major bass magazine's next issue..stay tuned

Dude! Don't be joking. If this is true, that is absolutely GREAT news!!! What an amazing thing it would be to actually return the "Bass of Doom" back to the family. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this news! I just pray that this is not a hoax. Where did you get this information?

That's great, Lefty !! I had recently heard same rumour, was asked to keep to myself, and never inquired again about it, so this is news to me. Guess now since you have this information, without knowing who you or how you are associated, it's apparently being put out there, and maybe for real! If so then..WOW WOW WOW !!!

Listening To: best weather ever...

Ingrid and Al,

Its for real..very real.
Ingrid you actually know me and have we met me and spoken via email over the years.
We'll when the story breaks I'll email ya to say hi!!
Just so it doesnt drive you nuts who I am.
Like you I got the info from the one of the sources at the center of the story.
I have heard about the bass and have seen photos of it taken at a gathering of know players who examined and played it.
Its in its exact condition as when JP has it last.
The bass never left NYC.

Hold tight because the story will officially break soon.

My personal feeling I that is should go to Felix. period. No explanation needed.

On a unrelated not, I saw the bass from several feet away in 1985 at the Guild-Hartke demo. Yes, I was there in the third row.

It was in its original state except for some purple spray paint that was sprayed on in different spots.
Jaco did not play this bass at the demo. It stayed in the stand all night.

This is great news. I hope the powers that be do the right thing.

Ingrid: "Jaco said that someday his basses will be in the Smithsonian, he had foresight,"

That would be a nice place for. Under lock and key.

Listening To: John and Mary- Cause I love the sound of children laughing.

No, not to Felix... also not to be bought by some excited bass players with money ... nor used as a bargaining tool to satisfy an egomaniacal's agenda ... it's Jaco's, and belongs to his four children.. it needs to be in a museum.

Listening To: best weather ever...

This story going to break anytime soon? Terribly exciting ain't it?

When will its fate be revealed?

What ever happened to Jaco's 1967 Fender Jazz? a question asked on another forum? After reading this thread I only hope that if one particular bass; a 1966 Fender Precision with a 66, or pos. a 67 Jazz Neck does surface, it will not cause the recipient problems. That Precision with Jazz neck was given by Jaco to a player who like Jaco had an accident with his hand, far far worse than Jaco's. As I understand it it was of great comfort and inspiration to him, and a very sound and solid act of kindness by Jaco. I am in the midst of getting a way to get some pictures to share. If I do and the owner of the bass is revealed I hope it will not bring any problems to the owner. This was not a stolen bass, it was a gift. And a very kind act and a very well thought out one, on the part of Jaco. As far as the kid who received the bass, there is no doubt that it was given to him and that he is credible, and that it was also a published fact, and even then the foresight that it may bring problems may have been a concern.

I see it as a positive thing. "Take all the trees and put them in a tree museum." A bass has got to be played.

Hi Ingrid. Is there anymore news regarding Jaco's Bass of Doom since the Bass Player mag story? Peace and Love, Al

Hi Al, haven't heard a thing, nor have Julius and Felix. I too wonder about it at times, but the whole thing had become so uncomfortable, we have been in denial, not daring to ask. BUT, your post inspired me to make a call, which I did, hopefully I will know more soon. So, thanks for the nudge.

I know Chard Haines too. He is the biggest liar and thief. He had a child with my sister and has NEVER done one thing to support his daughter. Does anyone know where he is? Who is the older man in the photo holding the guitar? That looks like Chard to me. Any info is helpful. Thanks

hi everybody.
i ve read many thing by the web about jaco and jaco's bass and i thnik you or we make a very good job.i m with you.i think we ll get these basses even if it's very difficult.i m french so i haven't understand all when you was talking about mary.you think she lie and she got bod and she just want to earn money??
i believe i can help you.i know one of the best french luthiers who had work on jaco's bass between 78 and 82.he told me he knows somethings about jaco and bod, i don't know really what he s thinking.i ll try to be usefull.i m able to do evrything for help you.
bye have a nice day.

This thread just kinda petered out.
So, was the BP mag article correct? Was that actually the Bass of Doom? Where is it now?

There are so many things I would like to ask Ingrid...mostly about Jaco as husband and father.
I've not read Milkowski's book but I probably will.

You're right Rico, thanks for rejuvenating a petered out thread! I never came back and followed up on it. Yes, that is The Fretless, refurbished and looking completely different than originally. It's in NY with the owners of a shop, it's fate still unclear.

Feel free to ask me anything, in the meantime, Jaco loved being a father, and a providing husband, the concept of a family nucleus was very important to him. Believe it or not, he could be quite the home-body and family man.

I didn't think that was Chard Haines, Cindy, but I could be wrong, you would know better, sorry your sister's child is being short-changed. I met Chard once outside the Lonestar when Jaco did his first show after coming out of Bellevue, something didn't feel right about him.

Thank you so much for replying, Ingrid.
I am so glad that Jaco was a "family" man. Often that is difficult to be for a traveling musician.
Was he a romantic type as well?
What was a typical quiet evening at home like for you and he and the kids?
How did you and Jaco meet?
What were your first impressions of him?
Do you plan to write your own memoir or biography one day?
When did you first realize that your husband would be an inspiration to musicians all over the world?

There are several periods and incidents in Jaco's life that I would dearly love to know more about from your perspective. Some of them I'm afraid that you might be uncomfortable discussing in a public forum.
Is there a way we could correspond privately?

Warmest regards,
Rico

Welcome, Rico. Don't mind answering, I understand the interest, Jaco continues to affect many of all ages and gender at deep levels. I get how it matters to know more about the source of such a catalyst. No question is off limits, but I reserve the right to not answer without prejudice. :-D

Jaco seemed almost driven by wanting a family life, welcomed having children, there was a longing there. Could have stemmed from being the oldest of 3 when his parents separated, taking on responsibilities at an early age. Because his Dad was a musician he was subjected to that life, you are right, perhaps was challenging for Jaco to be both a musician and a father, let alone a provider for two families at such an early age.

I am not exaggerating when I say that he loved coming home to Florida, I've seen him kiss the ground at the airport, looking forward to see John and Mary, tend to the yard, making the kids weed against their will..haha..go to the beach, juggle, ride bike or motorcycle, play basketball, make salads, fast to clear out his system from being on the road, lie around watching Jeopardy, Love Boat, Barney Miller...play his Yamaha baby grand...compose... "typical quiet evening" at home.

He relished being in Kauai, where we had no TV, radio, alarm clock, telephone...going to bed at 9, getting up at 6, hiking, swimming, eating off the land, exploring. It was same when we went to Cumberland Island, and in Tikal, nature was his inspiration.

Those who never saw that side of him often asked if Jaco ever relaxed, no one I know could chill better than he did, always thoroughly enjoying his surroundings.

That sadly changed when the bipolar kicked in, possibly triggered by stress of carrying such a big load on his shoulders, on a personal as well as career level, along with chemicals produced by alcohol and cocaine. {"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"} He hated smoking pot, said it made him paranoid.

Jaco's romantic nature is revealed in how he plays and surrenders his music, he feels love for those who listen and hear him, as he wants to be loved by them. He had a way of doing special things when least expected, and doing absolutely nothing when thought it was expected. Because of his spontaneous nature he was always ready to go on an adventure. For me that was romantic, but to each their own! :)

We met at shows, parties, or events which is where we were introduced. My first impression of him was that he seemed restless, as if he felt out of place, often getting a lot of attention he wasn't always that comfortable with, yet drew it to him by being so vastly different, his presence usually owned the room. He was quite complex in a simplistic kind of way, and very simple in a complex way. He has called himself "King of Dichotomy".

It wasn't until after his death that I realized the magnitude of his affect, including on myself. until then I had been caught up in a whirlwind of constant evolution of music, passions, highs, lows, babies.."crazy"ness, though I should have known when I saw people freak upon meeting him, men's voices elevate from excitement, cab driver running home to get his records so Jaco could sign them, musicians getting flustered, women hanging outside his hotel room...then there was his desperate need for me to help him get out of dressing rooms after a show because he couldn't handle the tugging at him.

For me to write has been a topic over the years, there is material fitting for coffee table reading, or about life before, during, and after, it's been some ride. I'm an open book. Timing {as in the art of Tai Ming} is everything.

Feel free to email me at jacofamilysite@aol.com