Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jaco Pastorius Park !

Just in case some of you reading this forum didn't receive my letter regarding the park naming, here it is:

When in the mid to late 50's, at age 6 or 7, Jaco came to Florida from Pennsylvania, he moved into the City of Oakland Park, located within the vicinity of For Lauderdale. Oakland Park was his stomping grounds till the mid to late 70's.

In Oakland Park Jaco lived, and experienced life that included:

*a paper route and his regular customers,
*neighbor paying him not to play his drums,
*climbing the big trees,
*often winning in the beloved game of baseball,
*North East High School (Oakland Park), where they now honor him through their music program, led by Steve Salo,
*.the warehouses boom-ing with the sounds of Jaco and friends jamming
*Modern Music Store where compositions were born
*falling in love with the sounds of trains and Dixie Highway
*writing his works for his first solo album "Jaco Pastorius"
*recording/mastering in Peter Yianilos' Aritisan studio much of his solo record "Word Of Mouth" and many other projects.

I am sure I am missing quite a few more Oakland Park landmarks that were a part of Jaco's upbringing and life, but I am writing all this in the hopes it will inspire you and your voice to be an integral part in naming a park after him that is about to be build in Oakland Park, located next to Dixie Highway, blocks from his home he grew up in.

To read more about it, and what you can do to help, please go to www.jacopastoriuspark.org or www.jacopark.org. Write a letter or email the City of Oakland Park telling them why you believe Jaco deserves this mention and honor so that there is a place people from all over the world can get together in Jaco's name, and discover Oakland Park, but most importantly download the petition, fill it out, sign and send it in, for those signed requests are going to be a big part of the whole that will be Jaco Pastorius Park.

In addition a musical event is taking place on May 13th at Alligator Alley, Oakland Park, Florida, to collectively move the project into reality via music played by his sons, and friends, and a petition drive.

Someday a yearly music fest in his name will sound at the park for future generations to learn about his musical roots, and what impact he has made on all of us.

Your voice is so important, and shall be heard, imagine being a catalyst in the naming of the Jaco Pastorius Park. As Jaco use to say:"got to get those molecules moving".

Wholeheartedly,

Ingrid Pastorius
Thank you on behalf of many who started, and are part of this grassroots movement. GBJ

Re: Jaco Pastorius Park !

Regardless of what happens, and however hard some "controlling" powers are attempting to squash this uplifting to Jaco movement, Jaco's legacy and his works/performances from when his career started till the last day of his life, will shine through, and continue to soar.

Here is a beautiful example of what one person wrote to the City of Oakland Park, along with sending in a signed petition. There are many others with same reverence.

To Whom it may concern,

Whether or not you are a fan of music, whether you like jazz, classical or rap music, you must understand that very rarely does a talent come along that changes the landscape of an art form. Rarely does a light burn so brightly that it illuminates the entire globe, in every country, in every village where people who appreciate music reside.

Throughout the history of recorded civilization, these talents come along maybe once in a generation. There names are synonymous with music itself, names like Bach, Beethoven, Andreas Segovia, Charlie Parker, Jimi Hendrix, to name a few.

We have reverence for these people because not only do they enrich our lives musically but they show us that more is possible than we know and believe. They show us the hand of God through musical talent.

The City of Oakland Park has a native son by the name of John Francis Pastorius, known to the entire world as Jaco. He burst onto the music scene in 1976 with such an explosion that fall out continues to this
day, some 30 years later. His life ended tragically and violently. His voice and contributions were so fresh and original that they will live on for generations to come. The very best musicians in the world acknowledge what the name Jaco, means to face of modern music and certainly every electric bass player will reveal the name Jaco, when asked about influences.

The City of Oakland Park owns uniquely, the title of "The home of Jaco Pastorius". It would be terrible mistake not to take all the positive things associated with the life of Jaco Pastorius and tie them forever to the CIty of Oakland Park in a real way. I urge you strongly to consider naming the new downtown park at 38th Street & Dixie Highway after this American Master. This should be a point of pride for this community. It would certainly be a beacon calling visitors from around the globe. Japan, Brazil, Europe, Australia and of course, the USA, to
make pilgrimages to this place.

My warmest regards to the citizens of your fair city. Rest in peace Jaco.

Sincerely,

Jeff Gellis

How strange! I thought I left this post off here in the morning. It's wasn't here on the board..but when I went to repost it, the title and my name were already on a message form and ready to go.

Anyway...we're going to try and make it to the Jaco Park gig this Saturday. I left a message by phone, but already got an answer to my question I was asking you.

Hope all goes well, my husband poked himself in the eye and injured his cornea...he's suffering from Popeye syndrom for now..we'll see how it heals.
Hope to see you and the twins soon.
EJ

Listening To: parrots in the trees, gators in the canal, garbage truck grinding

I'll be there.. and I'm taking my fiance! :)

Listening To: Christian McBride

Thank you, and see you both!

Wow! And just think Ingrid..As I entered to reply...The Bravenet message board adverts here just told me I may have won a free laptop! Am I lucky or whut?

Best,
EJ

Listening To: washing machines on this planet

"Jaco fest a success!

OAKLAND PARK - On Saturday, May 13th, something beautiful happened in the city of Oakland Park. Fans of Jaco Pastorius came from far and wide to lend both an ear and their voices to show support for a Jaco Pastorius Park. Over 200 people attended what will become an annual event to honor Jaco in the city where he grew up.

More than a hundred petitions were signed by a diverse array of passionate people, from friends of Jaco's in the 1960s to young musicians of today. All who came were treated to an evening of infectious jazz. Compositions by Jaco and those who influenced him were performed by Way of the Groove with Julius and Felix Pastorius, and bandmates Colin James (keys, sax), Adam Lucas (guitar), Ben Hovey (trumpet). They were joined throughout the night by special guests playing conga, blues harmonica, alto saxophone, cabaca, and a special set with Alligator Alley owner Kilmo on bass.

Many thanks to everyone who did their part simply by showing up and joining in the groundswell of support for a permanent memorial for the World's Greatest Bass Player!"

Thank you for being a perfect hostess Ingrid. It was a kick to see Felix at about 6'6 'stead of 23 inches, as I'd remember seeing him so long ago. We had a lot of fun at the event, I'm glad it was a success for you.

And I wish the boys much success in their careers they've both got a lot of talent.
Talk to ya soon.
eeeeej!

Listening To: cars...outside on the road and inside "new" ones

I really hope this park gets name after
Jaco, no one would be more deserving of
such an honor that's for sure.
I cross my fingers for you
and pray that it will happen.

I've just finished watching the
DVD featuring Jaco in Japan
for the fith time, it arrived
in my mailbox 6 days ago.
"Donna Lee" and "Sophisticated Lady"
are my favorites. That man could
thrill audiences like few others,
and his charisma was really something!

Bass Player magazine is bringing national attention to Jaco's park with a nice piece in the July 2006 issue: http://www.jacopastoriuspark.org/images/jaco_park_bpm1.jpg

Philadelphia- Pastorius Park

http://www.chestnuthillpa.com/pastorius.asp

Listening To: Loud neighbors' music

Jaco Pastorius Park

The fire only died down, it didn't die away

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=61&storycode=14873

I can imagine that the "controlling" powers are doing. Bad luck, being in that state. I think they have some twisted notions of what is 'uplifting'. Well a lot of that got pushed right back at them, didn't it? I sure hope you get the park, and I'll sign all the petitions. I won't go into details, but I have a lot of family in FL and some in your county. It's on the county level I'm guessing. There's that old cliche that applies to that state legislature, I think - "there are two things you don't want to ever see being made: sausage and legislation!". I won't even go into what I've heard some of what I hear some developer was planning on for some community on the southwest coast I believe. It was a bit disturbing to hear that, and I hope it never happened.

Some still seem able to fool what's generally called the 'christian evangelical' demographic when they need to, aren't they? It's sad irony, I think your governer has some brains, why doesn't he find some courage to go along with it. I know when did they ever take the 'class blinders' off. Did you know that's race music, man, not in my state, huh?

My aunt is on the east coast and she really does this - she says to them "just how many unwanted children have you adopted?" and their eyes just glaze over. Someday, you'll get it done, but I can't imagine those people being able to recognize real art. Is there anyone down there with 'political will', I wonder?

He really deserves that park, he was so great and it would something to have what's considered 'jazz' recognized in the nation where it began, wouldn't it?

Not that he would, but if Ken Burns ever comes out with a 'modern' history of 'jazz', I'm just not watching it. It would be far too aggravating. They had a show on that on NPR up here with Gary Burton and Pat Metheny called in.

I have to find this amusing, I guess. This one guy calls up and says "the list of people that were 'confused' by that so called 'documentary' is as long and prestigous as Nixon's enemy list, please put me on it, right away!" I think you can do much better than that! Good luck - I'll be there when it opens, for sure. I know a county planner but he's in the county that has Redmond and Seattle, WA, unfortunately.

Listening To: Cannonball

it'll be a destination!

Listening To: eric burden and war