Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trio Of Doom

Finally the Trio Of Doom recordings are being released. John McLaughlin is currently mixing the tapes. No date has been set but the article below can be found on Abstact Logix.

2006-05-08 Sony to release Trio of Doom: John McLaughlin, Tony Williams, Jaco Pastorius
by Ablx Staff

Listening To: Jaco

Re: Trio Of Doom

Thanks, Ed, GREAT news!!

This made my year!!!

I read in the Bill Milkowski biography of Jaco that John really wasn't happy with these recordings? Change of heart? Whats the deal?

I think what is being released is the studio recordings of theirs. John McLaughlin was very unhappy with Jaco's performance in Cuba, but was happy with the way the rehearsals went.

I was present at the rehearsals, John, Tony, and Jaco ripped! It was beautiful and memorable. I didn't go to Cuba with them, but heard that too many "mojitos" got in the way of performing...alas...GBJ

Hi Ingrid,

Were the rehearsals and the studio sessions the same? I have read that the studio recordings took place as rehearsals, and that they rehearsed, did the show, then went into the studio.

Hello John!

I remember being at the studio while they were rehearsing, the first time they got together. Do not know whether it was recorded at that time, sure would have been the smart thing to have done.

What happened in Cuba, and in the studio thereafter I know nothing about first hand. Jaco didn't come home telling me about what had happened.

From what John is quoted as saying, only his tune was recorded in one take at a studio session after the show, so perhaps we are about to hear the rehearsals?

Hi Ingrid and friends,

The plot thickens, last month I spoke to a well known Cuban musician who also played during Havana Jam. Of course I asked him about what happened on stage during the performance of Trio of Doom. I expected to get stories about Jaco's behavior in stead he told me that the Tony Williams actually was the spark that ignited the fire! He continued rambling about Tony's reputation, which I shall not repeat here because of the abundance of dirty words. Bottom line: according to him Tony trashed the concert, not Jaco.

Of course I don't have the facts, but it IS an interesting perspective....

Jeroen

Any news re release about the "Trio Of Doom" non-studio recordings?

Listen....if it was Jaco who was the disruption then so be it....as far as I know, Jaco was always big enough to wear the blame if it fit when he was alive and I am sure he would have no problem wearing it in death. However, the more I hear about the Trio of Doom in Havana from others who were there, it sure seems like the problems they had may have been more caused by more than just one person acting out. If Jaco was/is an easy schill because he can no longer speak for himself, then I am glad these other perspectives are finally seeing the light of day!

Listening To: Everything