Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
that soulful fretless bass

Hello S. Fitz,

Though it is a sad view, thanks for showing those photos, I had never seen the bass in that condition.

I didn't know Jaco lived at #1 Lispenard, I was told that Nancy Whiskey Pub is located at that address, where Jaco sat in, and music was made. Who was his bass roadie at that time?

That does look like "the" bass to me, but the photo must have been taken prior to '87 because Jaco spent that year in Florida till he passed. Since that picture was taken the bass was sent to Kaufman to be fixed, and repainted. This is the first time I hear that the bass was broken in the manner you described.

If Pat knows where it is, I can only hope it remains safe.

I too sense some antagonism due to the short manner of the posts, please just say what's on your mind regarding the bass, or anything you would like to share about Jaco or your relationship with him.

Listening To: twins jamming

Re: that soulful fretless bass

Thanks Ingrid for your sensible and well stated post. I think if those shots were taken in early '86 instead of '87 it would be more believable. I always heard that Jaco shipped the bass from NYC to Kevin Kaufman in Florida to get it refurbished but I never thought it was in that bad shape (it breaks my heart to see ANY instrument in that condition!!). I guess only Mr. Kaufman could corroborate the legitimacy of these photos.