Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 Lives

My life now: Married, 3 young children. Two girls, 7 & 4 and one boy 2 months old. I am 40, and I own a private sanitation company in NJ.
Life then: I played bass since I was 14. I dedicated my life to music, appreciating everything from Ray Charles, to Count Basie, Jaco to Black Sabbath. My use of heroin during this time period was a way of numbing my frustrations, as well as blocking out the reality that I was a leading a losers lifestyle. I hid behind a facade of musicianship, using that talent as a way to excuse or justify using junk. For 15 years I did only three things, played bass, did dope and played gigs. Using heavy drugs against my will for so many years required me to have some type of mental escape. Jaco's music was part of that escape for me. His life, albeit different, and mine shared the pain and misery of dependency. I only wish he had made it through. As a teen, and through my twenties, I worshipped his playing. My style was heavily influenced by him. I havent picked up my bass since I got clean over 10 years ago. I am still a music lover, just can't bring myself to play. I like it better this way. I know I'm still the kind of guy who has to devote ALL his time to one thing.
I recently found this website just by googling Jaco's name. What a pleasure it has been to revisit this man's life (and a part of my own that I easily forget sometimes) and to read about the life of his family and friends. Thank you Ingrid and Family, so much for presenting this material.

Listening To: Sirius Satellite and all its great music