Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what's goin' on?

How can one stop a war... with music perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s&search=marvin%20gaye

GBJ and all!

Listening To: Jamerson

Re: what's goin' on?

Hello, dear Ingrid!!!

Yes, music, absolutely...
Wish you guys are alright. Miss you a lot.

Love,

Phil

Way of the Groove played this song the other night. It was fresh and took me a little while to realize what was goin' on.

Listening To: Yngwie J. Malmsteen

absolutely one of my favorite tunes.

Listening To: miles

Listening to Mr. James Jamerson is like touching 'bass' with Jaco. :)

"A half century ago, James left Charleston for Detroit as a scared young man, unsure of what lay in his future, with a speech impediment, bad feet and a limp. Now, Charleston is welcoming him back as a conquering hero. To refer to him as "A prophet" may seem a bit over the top or overly dramatic, but in the world of music, that's exactly what he was. His pulpit was a 1962 sunburst Fender Precision Bass and his sermons were endless streams of soulful improvisations that shook the world of music and changed the way people listened and played."

Listening To: what's goin' on

Also, Gil-Scott Heron "Winter in America"

I won't blame you if you take this post down. I have anxiety every time I try to communicate. I've just seen too much. What nonsense I heard last night, but "Some hearts hurt they can hardly stand it Phamine fantoms at the garden gates"

It's NOT 9/11 - It's 911 Emergency. They created a spectacle and people fall for it "On an On Stupidity."

How to stop a war? Pay attention,maybe? Vote in all your elections would be a start. I'm in the USA and 1/2 the people aren't even registered to vote, fewer vote in any election, and fewer PAY ATTENTION so I blame the American public MOST.

I am angry. This broken health care system is literrally killing some of my friends, so why shouldn't I be?

It's hysteria: Like Sting sang

"There's NO such thing as a winnable war. It's a LIE we DON'T BELIEVE anymore" - It's "Hysteria"

We reelected the would be facists. How Instead of listening to 'swift boat fools for truth', try reading some history?

I am so angry and frustrated every day I could scream, because people constantly talk down to me, don't respond to me and tell me what to do. And they are really ignorant in subjects I know much more about. And they constantly make assumptions about me. This is why people like myself have to boast. We are not heard.

But, I've accomplished a lot in 3 fields music, computers most in CHARITY. It's important.

Now I am completely alone and no one will help me. I'm ok. I' will just let my mind idle because I know it's not worth my health, even though I am being desparately recruited by a computer company that does music because I was in the industry 22 years and I know how why.

I've worked toward this goal since and announcement last year. I always took care of 'the invisible ones' and now I'm alone, but I'M WALKING HERE. My ex-wife an I (actually I did 95% of it because she was math phobic)That's fine. It happens. I'm phobic of trying to communicate with anyone. I'm seldom believed. How? Know you can make a difference. Learn, try.

But we DID SOMETHING. I know someone in music and charity, a PhD in music. The other in Miami that has 2 grammies. I played with these 2 guys in a band when I was 20 years old. I spend all night trying to find the words to write to these people. I'm ignored lately, but "Don't think me unkind. Words are hard to find." I takes me days to write letters and I don't send them. I'm invisible. My anguish is unsaid.

Among many, many other charitable things -
I did the FIRST statistical study that correlated the rate of recidivism to different demographic variables of the homeless for Crossroads. That was the genesis of "Breaking the cycle of homelessness". I broke another common cycle too. I was there for 8 years. I know I can make a difference.

"Cross Roads House opened its doors in 1982 to assist homeless individuals and families. We have since become the largest emergency and transitional shelter in New Hampshire, serving eastern New Hampshire and southern Maine. We house up to 107 people on any given night, and our emergency shelter is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Cross Roads House offers food, shelter, and a proven program that helps our residents achieve their goal of independent and sustainable housing. In fact, the majority of people who have participated in our transitional program leave Cross Roads House for permanent housing, equipped with tangible goals and the skills to achieve them."

http://www.crossroadshouse.org/about/index.htm

In his first term President Clinton said something about the drug companies, which is a very irresponsible thing for a president to do,
because it has an affect on the markets. But he was right. They have been profit driven and out of control forever. Did you ever read they guy from pFizer's blog who had a high position and quit. How to make a difference? READ - Go to the sources.

Things don't always work well in our health care system that leaves 50 million Americans uninsured and ever more underinsured and is getting worse.
I'm sorry, I am so angry I could scream and I why shouldn't I be?

I watched the Senate hearings on the White House OMB budget for fiscal year 2007 on C-SPAN. It was pretty obvious - the domestic programs are taking a BIG hit. That's how to stop a war. Watch what the leaders we elect do - LIVE. My favorite station, I'm in a minority! Others give away our freedoms without even watching what they do!

The evasive tactics of the insurance companies are killing my good friends wife. They are killing some other of my friends. I CAN help some and I will and I DO. They are killing MY people. My friends. It's MONEY that decides who lives and dies in this country.

People who choose to turn a blind eye to all the suffering MAY be the problem. I don't have the luxury of ignorance. You CAN make a difference.You are, right NOW, if you're registered to vote. Sorry, "Some hearts hurt".

Listening To: Sting - Russians, They Dance Alone, Fragile Joni M. - Ethiopia

Other songs I just quoted were: Sting "Russians", "They Dance Alone". More Sting -

"Nothing comes from violence and nothing ever could".

Here is 1985 "Ethiopia" - Joni Mitchell. An obscure recording "Dog eat Dog". I read that she said she was pretty angry that year. I can relate. I was at Crossroads then. It was bleak. We helped the victims of "Reagonomics" - I call them "the invisible ones" in this nation, because they sure are. The homeless: the working poor, battered women, the mentally ill, the exploited, injured and/or traumatized vets. and On and on... I can see them coming now. And I can't look right through them, many are my friends. I've seen far too much suffering in person to look away.

Most people don't realize that with wealth comes responsibility to some. It was too much culture shock for me so I'm not there anymore, litterally. But I'll always be there in my heart.

1985 - I can remember it like it was yesterday. Contact me via Email or IM if you'd like a LEGAL copy of the song, please. It's really something and it's obscure.

Maybe we should be angry. It seems that every time things are good we get complacent and ignorant here, to paraphrase Edward R. Morrow. Things are never good for 'the invisible ones'. Perhaps we shouldn't look right through them.

Copyrighted material in this message (text) is used in accordance with 'Fair Use', for the purpose of study, review or critical analysis, and will be removed at the request of the copyright owner(s). As a non-profit, non-revenue producing message, its content as a free, educational, and informative service for its readers. Copywritten content may not be further used for profitable purposes without the expressed written permission and consent of the copyright owner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethiopia: The lyricist's comments.

Here are Joni Mitchell's comments about the song. These words are also Copyrighted material to be used in accordance with 'Fair Use' (see above)

"This was my reaction to all those "We Can Save You!" songs which raised so much money for corrupt Ethiopian leadership. I was begged to take this off the record. A friend of mine said "I hate it, All those parallel 2nds, they're wrong!" Even Wayne Shorter said,. "What are these chords? They're not piano chords. They're not guitar chords. What are they? I said, "well look, these woman are bone thin, their babies are dying in their arms. They're walking along with nothing but the rags on their back. They're coming to a crossroads, one road leads to slavery, the other leads to death by the side of the trail...it's not like they have any good place to go. You think they're gonna be walking along to an Everly Brothers triad?" -Joni Mitchell

Ethiopia

by Joni Mitchell (1985) from "Dog Eat Dog"

Hot winds and hunger cries Ethiopia
Flies in your babies' eyes Ethiopia
Walking sticks on burning plains
Betrayed by politics
Abandoned by the rains
On and on the human need
On and on the human greed profanes
Ethiopia Ethiopia Ethiopia

Your top soil flies away Ethiopia
We pump ours full of poison spray Ethiopia
Between the brown skies and sprinkling lawns
I hear the whine of chain saws
hacking rain forests down
On and on insanities
On and on Short sighted greed abounds

Little garden planet oasis in space
Some hearts hurt they can hardly stand it
Famine phantoms at the garden gates

Every Sunday on TV Ethiopia
You suffer with such dignity Ethiopia
A TV star with a PR smile
Calls your baby "it" while strolling
through your tragic trials
On and on stupidity
On and on the basic needs are defiled
Good air good water good earth

Little garden planet oasis in space
Some hearts hurt they can hardly
stand the waste

Listening To: Joni Mitchell: Ethiopia

Oh, by the way. I love "What's going On". I think that says a lot. It's perfect. He was so good. I wish people would listen more, but... A bit before my time, but I do read history. You don't even have to read. There are so many great documentaries.

And please remember, I'm letting my mind idle. I'm not one to panic - I'm seeing a lot of that, sadly. Well the people in the exec branch who pulled the power grab shouldn't have scared everyone. They'll be gone in a couple. I just wish they wouldn't have screwed up the economy is all. We've recovered before.

I know I write a lot of words, but I can type really, really, fast and copy/paste. So, I'm relaxing now because it's that's what's indicated for me, I think.

If I remember correctly, "What's going On" was one of only two songs that Weather Report played that wasn't composed by one a band member. I'm not positive but I think there was only two.

And the link below was certainly our song from the shelter. I haven't been there in over 10 years, but I love this one. It's Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car". This is what we saw every day for 8 years. And she started out in Cambridge, MA USA, I think, which is where I spent most of my life working at very pleasant jobs between Harvard and MIT.

I got to know a lot of people from some countries where people don't have it as good as we do here when I was developing software. And I also did before that when I was at Berklee, which is just across the Charles river in Boston as well. I'm only about 12 miles from there now, so this is home. I'd hate to move, but I may - we'll see. It's all just too real to me, I guess.

But again, I'm cool. I was in the computer industry. We conditioned people to think that too many words feel strange. We had this usability lab at Lotus in Cambridge (a company I really loved). We had this Videoconferencing feed and we'd watch the 'users' like lab rats. Lol. Really.

So, no worries please. I AM passionate and intense, no doubt, and I did all those things and more, but remember I can type really, really fast. And I constantly re-write and refine, as all great writers do, of course, so doing this is much easier than it may seem to you. I also have a large volume of self satire at my disposal here as well. This isn't that bad. Some of the 'bad prose' I'm sometimes prone to is down right embarassing. Lol. It feels kind of like purging at times. And you'll notice that I'm replying to myself a lot, so...draw your own conclusions about that, ok? Lol.

But really, this is song "Fast Car" - it means a lot to me.

I had a feeling that I belonged
I had a feeling that I could
Be someone
Be someone
Be someone

I think that too many people have been made to feel less about themselves and that that they can't make a difference. I really do feel stuck and frustrated and invisible now, for sure. It's awful, but it will pass. You really can make a difference, if only by not giving in to it. I did and I don't regret it. Better to be that way than not. It's seems like it's fashionable to be cynical here. I define cynicisim as a form of prejudice that causes people to give up. I'd be skeptical always, but never cynical. And I did have an opportunity to make a difference and I continued to, so that's my message I guess? No, I'll have to re-write and refine that message, I think. It doesn't sound right at all yet. Also, making up your own definitions is dubious at best, don't you think?

Well, It's never been easy here on planet earth, now has it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EkxEptuGYQ&eurl=

Fast Car - "we'll move out of the shelter."

It's too real. So, I like it here and, right now I'm like "chilling out" in my own unique way. Really! I'm still a computer person. Everyone is now, right? It kind of gets old when people think I'm so 'intelligent' because I can write software. I tell them we just wreck everyone else's business with that and I need to get back to music anyway.

Also, I kind of think everyone else in computer land should write longer messages, just like me, but, no. Hmmm, somehow I don't think that's going to happen, so I'll see what I can do about that "Less is more" concept that all great writers use as well. The one that almost always eludes me.

I'll go out with Mr. Sting again. I think I read that he said that Weather Report was his favorite band in the 70's & 80's. Weren't they EVERYONE'S favorite band then? There're still mine!

So "When my eloquence escapes you...."

just

"Don't think me unkind
Words are hard to find
There only checks I've left unsigned
From banks of chaos in my mind"

Stay cool.

Regards,

-Miles

Listening To: Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

I wish I could write. Actually, some day I'll organize this and make it all legal, but I don't have time now.

This is what I'm really trying to say, and I really believe this, too. Passive non-violent resistance. Never underestimate the power of a good idea.

I just copied and pasted in an Email I sent to a friend with my comments. You may want to skip down to Sting's comments and the lyrics.

This is the one I love most. This is the idea I believe in to stop war. Yes music can help, I'm sure - if we listen and "If we act as we think".

"They Dance Alone"

----- Original Message -----
To: A friend in B.C. Canada
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:28 AM
Subject: Sting - They dance alone. This is really something.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

They Dance Alone

Now, as I said, I don't like to push things but you seem open minded and are intelligent enough to make up your own mind. And make it a point to try to study anything anyone else thinks is important. This is quite an amazing song.

"They Dance Alone (Cueca Solo)" is real drama to me. I think of it as another example of "passive non-violent resistance" that Gandhi pioneered and Dr. King consciously adapted. And Sting did a lot of good work in South America for Chile and to protect the rain forests. He really did see some of those people during the Amnesty - I'm a member of Amnesty International, myself (a cheap one, but I think they do good work) And he saw a lot before that. Just look up the name "Miles Copeland Jr." who was Police drummer's Stuart Copeland's father and you'll see that. I'm sometimes mistaken for being a 'pacifist' and I don't think I am at all. I don't think this world is ready for that yet. His lyrics are sometimes mistaken as that, but they really aren't. To me they express the fact that things can't get better if you give up and a lot of people fail to see that although, this is a very rough world, people can and do make a difference.

Anyway, I threw in a lot of stuff at the very bottom (way too much) because I didn't want take time to organize it all. It's amazing what you can learn from music and what you can find on the web. At the bottom, there is a scanned in declassified document (THE SOURCE) that historians from Harvard and GWU got from FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) requests. It's correspondence between Kissinger and his CIA operative. That was a time of cold war paranoia, but I think we really screwed up with Chile in the 70's. And it gives me hope that people like Kissinger and so many others from the Nixon years know it and so many of them are coming out against the Bush Administration and have been for years. They will be gone in just over 2 years. People screw up and then they realize it and try to tell the following generations (That's the subject of Sting's great "Russian's" videos and a well known concept. I recently heard it called 'the retirement syndrome'. I think he is just brilliant and people called him pretentious for years, but he was right a lot of the time. He saw a lot.

This song comes from "...nothing like the sun" (If I think of it, I'll burn you a copy - but I don't have time for fancy jewel cases yet). It's funny, my Nick MilesEvans2 comes from jazz legend Miles Davis and the Great Arranger Gil Evans (from Toronto, BTW) who made some landmark jazz recordings. The Gil Evans Orchestra is credited with playing on one song on "...nothing like the sung", but I think he did much more, as is often the case. When someone that great is around the recording studio when a recordings made, they have an impact, and aren't able to be credited because of contracts, etc.. And I did read Miles Davis say of "...nothing like the sun". "Sting's new record is a mf, Gil made that record an mf" You can't say those words in some places, but he meant it as an extreme compliment, because he was one of those people that didn't care what "jazz critics" thought and said what he thought was good. He also said "I'd cut off my right arm to be able to be able to write like Gil - and I'd play trumpet with my left!". (My idiot memory) This isn't Jazz. But Sting came from jazz, so you hear it in his music. The song uses a technique he sometimes likes, which is to very cleverly match the music with the lyrics in unusual ways. If you listen closely, you'll hear multiple shifting rhythms, and they are based on South American Dances. And you'll hear the military drums and gunshots, I'm sure.

The record is generally considered to be about women, as it is dedicated to his late mother. I think he got it right with this one.

To be continued

Listening To: They Dance Alone

(They Dance Alone - page 2)

I think what the women of Chile did was like Gandhi or Dr. King in a way, and so dramatic and inspirational. They rendered Pinochet's soldiers powerless, because had they responded to this ingenious form of protest, that would have political pressure and attention that they couldn't have handled, so there they were armed with all their weapons and powerless to do anything. I know I am passionate, but this inspired a lot of other people too. Just the spectacle is high drama - and it really happened. Many of the nations the U.S. and Soviets meddled in during the cold was are still messed up, but Chile just elected a woman head of state last year and seems to be doing better than most.

They called Sting pretentious a lot, but he's well liked in that community, I hear. And he was right about a lot of things, because he was brilliant and he saw a lot. This song was written before 1987 - by 1990, Pinochet was gone and in 1991 Boris Yeltsin formerly dissolved the Soviet Union, while all eyes seemed glued to Gulf War I. The foreign money to Chile had already stopped.

See what you think. The number of comments and incidents below this song (which got banned in Chile) indicates to me how important it was (there was a release of this recording in Spanish in South America or part of it) I find it very powerful and positive as well. One of my all time favorites. I think you'll see what I mean. The comments below by Sting are all good and explains what the song is about (and it's about a very specific subject as well as an overall idea). The stuff below the lyrics you can ignore, just check out the doc. It's kind of creepy, I think

Additional Information

'They Dance Alone (Gueca Solo)' appears on the 1987 album 'Nothing Like The Sun'. Banned in Chile, the track was released as a single but had the ignominy of being the first Sting solo single not to chart in the UK. The track features both Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton on guitar and featured on the 1987 world tour, and has been played on occasion since - often in Latin countries.

Artists comments

"This was something that I saw when I went to Chile with the Police. The mothers and wives of "the disappeared" do this amazing thing; they pin photographs of their loved ones to their clothes and go out in groups and do this folk dance with invisible partners in front of the police station. It's this incredible gesture of grief and protest. But it's a feminine way of combating oppression. The masculine way is to burn cars or to throw rocks. Yet this feminine way is so much more powerful because what can the police do? These women are simply dancing. What I'm trying to say on the record is that the female ultimately is superior to the male. That's what will bring Pinochet down - the mother's sense of injustice."
Timeout, 10/87

"I know that my song last week was banned in Chile, which means that to a certain extent it has been successful. I did send an album to General Pinochet for his birthday, and I'm very upset that he sent it back."
The Los Angeles Times, 12/87

"Its power is that it's ostensibly a peaceful gesture. It's innocent in a way: Security forces can't arrest you for dancing, although I'm sure they'd like to. But this is such a powerful image, of women dancing with pictures of their loved ones pinned on their arms and clothes instead of going out there with Molotov cocktails, which only elicits another kind of violence. This is something that has to win - it's so powerful that it actually has to succeed. Whereas terrorism, no matter how justified by previous violence, will never work."
Spin, 12/87

"There is a certain victory implicit in what those women do, which is so much more powerful than throwing petrol bombs or burning cars - that negative loop. It's not terribly positive to say the end is nigh and is terrible. I don't want to write songs that just confirm that nihilism and gloom, that there is no future. If I write about issues that are sad or horrific, I want there to be light at the end of the tunnel. And there will only be light at the end of the tunnel if we want it. That song reflects that. It is a very sad song, but at the end it is victorious. One day that country I'm singing about will be free. I hope so."
Rolling Stone, 2/88

"The problem Chile suffers at the moment is the same problem Brazil and Argentina have suffered for a long time. As soon as they (the mothers of the disappeared) appeared everyone knew who they were. The stadium erupted. We were filming as well, and as the cameras moved across each face you saw the reality of it. It wasn't a pop concert anymore. It was something very real."
The Chicago Tribune, 2/88

To be continued

"I reflected on that record being banned in Chile and thought that if I didn't go there I'd be a coward and I'm certainly not a coward. Let's not over-dramatise this. I'm only a singer. I'm not that important. All of us in life have to face a few things, look at something and say this is wrong and be prepared to stand up and say so, regardless of how dangerous it is."
The Advertiser (Australia), 2/91

"I never tackled an issue, social, political or otherwise, unless there was a metaphor in which to dress it up. I was never into writing propaganda or polemic - 'Fragile' is about the rain, 'They Dance Alone' is about people dancing on their own. Okay, it does have a subtext but you don't have to know it. Now, I am of the opinion that when you write about romantic love it is an analogue for the human condition anyway. It's about connecting human beings, it's about optimism for the future, it's a stake in the future."
The Muse, 09/99

"I never tackle political issues head-on. With something like 'They Dance Alone', and the Pinochet regime, the metaphor was of the poor women dancing alone in front of government buildings; you could understand that metaphor whether or not you knew the political issues. I've never set out to write a song that is about, for example, the environment. Songwriting is much more veiled than that. The meaning reveals itself as you go into it. A song should be plastic enough for you to find different meanings there. That's what all art does, all poetry, if you can call it that."
The Times, 12/01

"As a form of protest they dance this thing called the gueca, which is a traditional dance, and they do it alone; and they have the photographs of their loved ones pinned to them. I met some of these people when I toured last year with Amnesty and this image was very strong with me. The form of protest and the blend of grief and dignity they have, can't be bettered. It just seemed a way of magnifying what these women do, in a country like Chile, where democracy is a joke. I'm not going to change the regime in Chile through a song. I don't think the general listens to my records. I don't know. It's not throwing petrol bombs at the police or burning cars. It's something much more profound, you know, I think much deeper."
Boston Globe, 10/87

"I'd been in Chile in the late Seventies with the Police. It was at the height of the Pinochet regime, and there was a bit of a furore about us going there. I asked Amnesty International what they thought and their advice was that I should go, because rock'n'roll means freedom in these countries. So we went out there and it was pretty painful. There were troops and tanks on every street. At the press conference they'd put a little British flag and Chilean flag on the table. I picked up the British flag and threw it in the bin. They said, "What did you do that for?" and I said, "In our country that flag is the symbol of the British fascist party." There was uproar. They called us animals. They weren't very nice to us, the right-wing press in Chile. The women in Chile whose husbands and sons had disappeared would dance outside government buildings with invisible partners. I thought it was such a powerful silent protest and an incredible metaphor for loss and suffering that I wrote this song. They banned the record in Chile. But I played the song over there with some of the women it was written about. It was probably one of the most intense performances of my life. I was put in that situation just because of a song. I'm just a singer."
Independent On Sunday, 11/94

"I had been to Chile before and when I did the first Amnesty International Tour, we got to meet people who had actually been freed by Amnesty. You talk to them and hear their life stories and your own life suddenly seems... well, I've never been penalised or persecuted for my political views. I can speak my mind freely. So meeting someone who had actually gone to prison for doing the same thing was quite a shock. I knew I wanted to write about this, but before I could, I needed a metaphor, something that would make the idea universal. Writing a song about specific events is only half artistic. You need a metaphor, and the idea of the Gueca dance is so wonderful. Everyone can relate to a mother or wife or sister or girlfriend dancing with invisible partners, their missing loved ones. It's very moving."
Rock Express, /88

"I've never touched political or environmental matters on my songs, unless I had a metaphor. I wrote a song about Chile due to the metaphor of the Cueca Solo. When I heard that story, I found it a really powerful story. To be honest, without that metaphor, I would never even have played that song, because it is not the kind of song that I like to write. I'm still very interested in those matters, but they do not cross over into my musical life."
(To the Chilean magazine) El Mercuri's Wiken, 1/01

One More page.

They Dance Alone - page 4 of 4. It's long, I know, but this is what really I believe in. Passive non-violent resistence and a shared sense of outrage and grief. Compassion.

It was Gandhi that said.
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

So, I try. And he did see their silent faces - They scream so loud.

And I saw a lot too.

I have it all tied together, but I'd need to edit it for here. "Amandla" - I'd recommend that DVD highly as well. South Africa. All done in music. Amazing.

From Amnesty International – Music for Human Rights

A long time Amnesty International supporter, Sting wrote "They Dance Alone" as a tribute to the thousands who had lost relatives, who were "disappeared" by the government of Augusto Pinochet in Chile. In 1990, after Pinochet left power, Sting performed "They Dance Alone" at an Amnesty-sponsored concert in Santiago's National Stadium. During Pinochet's reign, the stadium was used as a jail, torture center and place of execution for more than 12,000 people. While singing "They Dance Alone" in this place of sorrow and death, Sting was joined onstage by the Mothers of the Disappeared, women whose children had been snatched by the government, never to be seen again. The entire stadium -- and the country -- were united at that moment in grief, so long silenced during Pinochet's tyrannical rule.

THEY DANCE ALONE (CUECA SOLO)
(words and music by Sting from "...nothing like the sun" (1987)

Why are there all these women here
dancing on their own?
Why is there this sadness in their eyes?
Why are all these soldiers here
Their faces fixed like stone?
I can't see what it is that they despise

They're dancing with the missing
They're dancing with the dead
They dance with the invisible ones
Their anguish is unsaid
They're dancing with their fathers
They're dancing with their sons
They're dancing with their husbands
They dance alone They dance alone

It's the only form of protest they're allowed