Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm trying to get HTML to work. Also, I have so many questions!!!!

I'm just trying to get HTML to work, because the screen indicates that it's allowed. Actually, this is XHTML which has been the World Wide Consotium for at least a year for HTTP, which is what PHP is sending back to my client. That shouldn't matter at all, so this is is a test, I guess.

If anyone can help me with that, I'd sure appreciate it. I only mentioned the computer stuff because I'm usually able to figure things like that out. It's just not clear how to do it. Also, I've started to grow my own Linux host, if anyone has experience with that. It's been while since I've used that type of OS, and technology races ahead doesn't it. I've done all the other Open Source such as PHP which is being used here quite recently. So, any help with anything is welcome, I guess. I always ask questions like that. It's kind of a shortcut to what I need to learn I've found. And anything I can do to help with this please ask.

I'm just trying out features. That's ME below, and it's also a link that points to my tiny site, which I haven't touched in a couple of years. It's all links and content I like. If you scroll down on the frist page, you'll see it's an excercise in being legal and I'm just a token partner with Amazon. I just wanted to try their stuff out. It's not findable and I don't make any income from it, so I'm not advertising at all. I think I can avoid advertising in future sites as well. Even though I have to go through 'background checks' I'm not worried about my identity. Someone tried to pull a phishing scam on me via Amazon earlier this year and we got them.

I guess I'm having trouble catching on with anyone that is doing this stuff. It seems that everyone that is successful doesn't respond to me. That's ok, I'll catch up for sure. I'm just not used to having to do everything myself is all. I was told that things were this way lately. I didn't realize the extent I guess. I'm used to having teams of people to help me when I developed software at corporations, so I do understand that part. I think that a lot of the non-reponses I get are a "Sign O' the times", as Prince once wrote. If so, I guess I still don't understand that mentality. It doesn't make sense for software on any scale, to me. This forum is using Open Source which requires 'sharing' to create value. At least 70% of the servers run Linux and Apache, so this host probably does. If someone could help me with that confusion, that would be great, because what I'm perceiving is at odds with what Open Source which started in 1984 with Richard Stallman's GNU - Gnu is Not Unix

That's why licensing which is based on GNU and other things and is now used to prevent theft of any digital content seems the only way of handling what is really limitless value. I know a ton about this subject and I'm not seeing others that are aware of the economics of computing. It seems important to me, because those continue to change and we are at a point of HUGE changes in the insdustry now, that's for sure. I've worked at a lot of the major corporations (including the one that developed PHP which is being used here), so I'm a bit perplexed about what I'm seeing. I'm incredibly discreet - that's why I'm being sought after - that and my experience. What is happening for sure is that I'm having trouble with inexperience at a certain company. What perplexes me is that I'm seldom asked any questions. I've posed many here, I'll ask anyone anything and if one of the major corporations is seeking me out and inexperience is making the process difficult, I guess I'm confused. No Worries though (the mantra of Sun Microsystems).

It looks like I have a good template started for HTML if anyone is interested in that, I'll share it. . Maybe I should have re-used the styles of the 'preview' page too. It shouldn't be putting that space at the top, but that's my only guess. Any thoughts about that, anyone? Or any of the questions I posed here, especially about catching on somewhere. I

Well I'm kind of new here, so hi Everyone!

Listening To: Continuum

Re: I'm trying to get HTML to work. Also, I have so many questions!!!!

The link to my site in the post I'm replying to is incorrect. No worries, just add /fpatrick to it,if you're interested. My tiny site is mostly links - I use it for all the music links on it.

Perhaps this forum service is a bit new, but the 'edit post' feature would be really nice and there are a few other things that are unintuitive to me.

The XHTML worked very well though, I thought. If anyone's interested in a template, I will maintain one. By a 'template', I mean some XHTML code with comments that should make it easy for anyone to use and utilize simple features like links, images, lists, ect.. I don't know, I didn't see an XHTML editor, so I just did the post I'm replying to using Dreamweaver which is part of Adobe Studio 8, which includes Flash. It's really the only choice for an editor at that level and Flash is an industry standard. I think they have some of it running natively on the Mac. We Too much to keep up with, too many levels, too, huh?

I'm just typing plain text now, but in the post I'm replying to has three links (one with an image) and the colors and fonts all match the defaults on the page worked pretty well. So that's good, if that interests anyone, just ask.

That's the whole idea of Open Source and sharing. Bits are 'nothing', essentially. Electrons ("crazy ions") are recyclable, whatever way you want to say it.

Beyond the cost of R&D, software and other digital content continues to approach the cost of 0$. Limitless value controlled by licensing. It was a confluence of events that created this: Moore's law, the rise of Open Source, the proliferation of fast connections and more multimedia on the web, cheap disk space is causing a lot of people to go into host reselling.

I don't think some people that do reselling and other things understand the implications of it and of money. Globalization is misunderstood and was inevitable. And crime. Those funny characters you type in - developed at Carnegie Mellon. I know people there and at Harvard, etc. And I see a lot of people that don't see that things are changing at an alaming rate, including our own evolution. 1994 "Sex Kills" - Joni Mitchell Turbulent Indigo. I think that applies to all of this.

So, it's the attitude of 'non sharing' that I'm seeing in many places has me thouroughly perplexed. It makes no sense and I don't want the industry to be confused by the same kind of unlightened attidudes that did crashed it in 2000-2001.

I realize this may be confusing or boring to some people, but I try not to make assumptions about people in a forum I'm very new too. And I don't condescend. There a lot of musicians here, obviously and all this has a huge affect on that industry. I'm sure some of you can see it changing right now. I'll never predict where it's going. It's only information and sharing and help that I live off.

The long awaited and inevitble 'dot com boom bust' is generally seen as:

March 10, 2000. The NASDAQ reached it's all time high of 5048. On the first trading day after JUST ONE YEAR, it closed at 1923. (3-12-01) An enormous 61% decline and it dragged the ENTIRE U.S. ECONOMY DOWN WITH IT, so I think this affects us all. 'Open Source', licensing, limitless value is pretty important for the next round of the Internet and World Wide Web. I'm only trying to figure out why I'm seeing some of the things I am.

Yesterday 9-13-2006 The NASDAQ closed at 2227. Not much more value. Does anyone see what I saying? It's money controlling money, there. Technological innovation makes innovations obsolete quickly. Things don't last- so why do people seem to be holding on to them? THAT is what I don't understand.

There is not much inherent value in digital content. It's inarguable that the computer industry is THE most important industry in the world because everything depends on it and all global commerce is tired up in it.

No predictions. I'm just confused and I'm not afraid to admit that ever, so please, anyone comment. I'm "Still Growing Up", still learning.

No Worries. Sun was at 10% peak market capitilazation in 2002 when I experienced my first layoff. Sun, IBM are the big Open Source pioneers. Among other places I worked at: Lotus, Rational (now both IBM), Lexis Nexus, AOL. No, I don't wreck every place I work at! LOL. Or cause them to be bought by IBM, either!

I know people at Sun, Apple/Disney and all over the industry on the larger and mid scales and I don't understand what I'm seeing. It seems like more "Short Sighted Greed" and we went through that once. This simply can't sustain itself ecomically in the computer industry, how could it? And theft can ruin the music industry and others. Apple/Intel - anyone follow that? I did. Please comment. I live off information. I need to.

I don't see my Email unless I reply and it's my MSN Messenger account too, so fpatrick@rcn.com, in case anyone's interested. It's safe. I don't worry about that. - Miles

Listening To: Continuum