Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weather Report Live DVD

http://www.antimusic.com/news/07/march/1204.shtml

03/12/07

(PR) As part of its acclaimed “Live At Montreux” series, Eagle Rock Entertainment, through its wholly-owned Eagle Eye Media, will release Weather Report Live At Montreux 1976 on April 17. This 10-track 80-minute DVD retails for $14.98.

Existing heretofore only as a bootleg of a television broadcast, this historic set is the only known full-length concert DVD of this legendary Weather Report lineup: keyboardist Joseph Zawinul, saxophonist Wayne Shorter, the tragic late bassist Jaco Pastorius, drummer Alex Acuna and multi-percussionist Manolo Badrena.

Touring in support of that year’s Black Market CD, they were mere months away from recording the fusion landmark Heavy Weather. This is a vital visual and aural document of a band in its prime, six years in and destined for greatness. Having met in and around the orbit of Miles Davis, the music is infused with a Miles-like quest. Acuna and Badrena shine on a two-man percussion discussion. Similarly, Zawinul and Shorter read each other’s minds on a duet. But it is Jaco, particularly, who is heartbreakingly poetic [dig that extended unaccompanied bass solo!], especially when one knows what his future held for him.

Tracks include “Elegant People,” “Scarlet Woman,” “Barbary Coast,” “Portrait Of Tracy,” “Cannon Ball,” “Black Market,” “Drum and Percussion Duet,” “Piano and Saxophone Duet,” “Dr Honoris Causa/Directions” and “Badla/Gibralter.”

Re: Weather Report Live DVD

Hi.
I live in Norway and I got this DVD from audiophileimports 6 months ago.
I guess I have the bootleg DVD.

I hope that it is remixed, because the drums are way up in the mix and the bass is to low.
I have the "young and fine" and the "Forecast" DVD's and the Forecast DVD has much better sound and picture quality.

Anyway I think this is a documentation of a historic band and at least one of my favorite bands ever.
I was at a WR consert in Oslo in 1978 just a couple of days after the consert that is filmed on Forecast, and that consert changed my life.
I have been on every consert that Joe Zawinul have had in Norway since that day, and I am going to continue doing that.

I also saw Jaco in my hometown Molde at Molde International Jazzfestival in 1983.
The show was recorded by Norwegian Broadcasting, and sendt on Norwegian radio.
I have a tape of the show.

Listening To: Everything that sounds good

NICE!

Weather Report-“Live At Montreux 1976 Posted by: editoron Friday, April 27, 2007 - 01:30 PM

Glenn Astarita

DVD-2007 Eagle Rock Entertainment

Seminal jazz-fusion band Weather Report is presented in living color during its initial appearance at the famed jazz festival. Complete with Joe Zawinul’s velvety synth patterns and Jaco Pastorius’ phenomenal bass lines, the music captured here comprises a snapshot of the band prior to its classic “Heavy Weather” album. Otherwise, drummer Alex Acuna and multitasking percussionist Manolo Badrena lay down the thrusting rock/jazz and world-beat grooves in support of the frontline.

With Zawinul’s darting single note flurries amid his arsenal of analog keyboards, the band renders works from its existing songbook. Pastorius’ solo on his composition “Portrait of Tracy,” features lush harmonics and extremely complex patterns, caught nicely by the cameraman’s zoom shots. Zawinul and saxophonist Wayne Shorter go head-to-head during their “Piano and Saxophone Duet.” And then on “Badia,” the soloists’ Middle Eastern motif segues into power-packed exchanges to include Acuna and Badrena’s ferocious, polyrhythmic spectacle. The ensemble finalizes the set via Zawinul and Shorter’s dancing and interweaving phraseology during the piece, “Gibraltar.” Needless to state, the audience displayed its appreciation with an energized, standing ovation. – Glenn Astarita

Running time: 84 minutes approx.

www.eaglerockent.com

I hear the soundmix is still as dreadful as on the VHS tapes, can anyone confirm this?

Jeroen
http://ookheelleuk.blogspot.com

The 5.1 mix is outstanding.

Thanks John, this proves it's still useful to have two messageboards...

Jeroen
http://ookheelleuk.blogspot.com

The Weather Report show in Montreux was filmed two with never heard titles !!!

Hi Francky, ca va?

What do you mean with your remark? I can only find the inclusion of Dr Honoris Causa as a 'new' addition to the footage (as it was only available seperatly). Or do you mean something else?

The sound mix is good by the way, no worries.

JJ