Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trio Of Doom

Trio Of Doom will beging shipping in June. Follow this link for more information on preorder.
http://www.abstractlogix.com/news_view.php?idno=217

Ed Shaw

Listening To: Weather Report's new boxed set

Re: Trio Of Doom

Very cool, thanks for the heads up Ed!

Jeroen
http://ookheelleuk.blogspot.com

Thanks Ed, great news item! :o)

Listening To: way of the groove

More info on the TOD disc out in June.

Amazon has a cover photo at

http://www.amazon.com/Trio-Doom-Live/dp/B000QEIM7S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5239171-7067202?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1179968922&sr=1-1

CD Universe lists the song list as

1. Drum Improvisation
2. Dark Prince
3. Continuum
4. Para Oriente
5. Are You The One, Are You The One?
6. Dark Prince
7. Conitnuum
8. Para Oriente
9. Para Oriente
10. Para Oriente

Then there is this bizarre post on http://bigozine3.com/rarities/?p=240

"The CD will include live tracks from the Havana concert, three tracks recorded the following week in New York, and two previously unissued alternate takes. The trio played two sets at the Havana concert, both were released previously in Japan. The studio tracks have been available among collectors for years."

Does anyone know what this is about? "The two sets were released in Japan"? "The studio tracks have been available among collectors"? Really? Other than the 3 cuts from Havana Jams 1 and 2 I am unaware of anything being available anywhere until now.

this just in...

http://www.audiophileimports.com/ts4.php?id=3585

John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Williams - Trio of Doom
6/1/2007 8:00:00 AM

In 1979, the concept of the power trio in rock was alive and well -- everywhere from punk’s Police and the Jam, to arena favorites Rush and ZZ Top. The concept of the hyper-amped power trio in the more rarefied field of jazz-rock fusion, however, was virtually non-existent, especially on the concert stage. For one glorious moment in 1979, a window was opened and the results -- thanks to the prescience of Columbia Records, and the combined artistry of guitarist John McLaughlin, bassist Jaco Pastorius, and drummer Tony Williams were preserved in the archives as a musical time capsule.

Nearly 30 years later, that time capsule has been opened. The 25 minutes of previously unreleased music performed live in Havana on March 3rd by the hastily named trio – an improvisational drums solo followed by four numbers -- coupled with five tracks recorded the next week at Columbia Studios in New York (including three that were later issued on the Havana Jam double-LPs, and two previously unreleased alternate takes) are now gathered together on one album for the first time. The aptly titled TRIO OF DOOM will arrive in stores June 26th on Columbia/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

The collective talent of these three musicians, and their enduring influence, goes far beyond the bounds of jazz or even the jazz-rock fusion genres. All three had deep roots in rock and roll and blues -- and jazz -- that shaded their music no matter what setting they found themselves in. TRIO OF DOOM underscores a template that was passed down to the next generation of electric guitarists, electric bassists, and drummers whose styles transcended the confining limitations of jazz and rock. Improvisational jazz never rocked this hard, and instrumental rock never cooked with such brainpower.

Nice write up!

"Improvisational jazz never rocked this hard, and instrumental rock never cooked with such brainpower."

wow, I'm looking forward!

I just received my copy of the TOD. Interesting to see that the live tracks (1-5) have never been released before. The tracks that were included on Havana Jam were from the studio recordings that were made after the fact (crowd noise added, I guess). Perhaps there is some truth the oft-stated stories of Jaco "misbehaving" and Tony W being upset with him. (I haven't had a chance to listen yet.)

I wasn't present in Havana, only in the studio, so I cannot confirm, nor relate what happened between Tony, and Jaco. I had heard that Jaco at some point had too many "mojitos" while there, so it would not be surprising to me if there was a "problem", alcohol abuse tends to do that, as seen rampantly in society daily till today.

When Jaco drank he could be melancholy, obstinate, childlike devious, but also amazingly lucid at the same time. He was also about the truth, even though he was a self-proclaimed "king of dichotomy", when he felt or saw BS, he would react to it by having a "don't give a sh*t" attitude.

Whatever happened in Havana was between Jaco and Tony, which Jaco apparently brought to the audience as well in his moment of frustration, unbalance, and pain....but now, 20 some years later after the fact, I feel it is of little importance.

I'm looking forward to hearing the CD, and your observations, Dave!

Listening To: whatch what happens

Re: Re: Trio Of Doom

Well, I just got the TOD and listened...What a band.Pretty mindblowing, and I can't find a reason why they wouldn't get released. I can also find no point in any of the live stuff where Jaco goes "Left"-he sounds completely on top of it the whole time.The only filler might be "Are You The One"-doesn't really sound like a complete "song". The live "Continuum" is one of the best I've heard,ever.The sleeve and liner notes are great, and there's a great(though tiny) shot of Jaco on the streets of Havana -sort of sticks out like a sore thumb! More to come, hopefully. Now they gotta release the studio "Havona"off the solo album!

Andy Aeros

Hi Andy, thanks for the above positive assessment, it appears to be the consensus from those who have heard and shared their observations thus far.

I am sensing that Jaco probably decided not to stick with the rehearsed "expected", naughtily wanted to give John and Tony a run for their money, throwing them a curveball, and it simply wasn't received well at that time for whatever reason, hence the distorted and close-minded reaction then. Time does heal, but a bit late for Jaco, who probably felt pretty bad, and somewhat misunderstood.

It can be challenging to be so advanced in so many different ways. GBJ

Finally listening to TOD, it is so great. The live recording from Havana that didn't make it on the record is exquisite.

Unless it is my imagination, upon first listen, I think I sometimes sense Tony's frustration in his playing, as well do I think I hear Jaco's taunting, and John trying to keep it cohesive.

What also appears to me is that Jaco sets the tone, tempo, etc.

Of course these observations are influenced by the stories that precedes them, so I must listen again, and again.

But what a fantastic release. Just when you think you've heard it all...

Thanks John McLaughlin! Good call.

Listening To: Trio Of Doom