Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I have to admit

I have to admit, I learned about Jaco around 2002 when I was 33 years old although I was in the music for almost my whole life! I mean I was playing the guitar a lot, I was a DJ for several years - I still do it sometimes – playing mostly groovy music, I had an everyday show on Jazz fm in the Greek radio for two years etc. and I never heard about him! I don’t know how this can happen! I’m really ashamed about it till these days. Of course those days I wasn’t reading a lot about the music. I was just playing the music and learned the history by the back of a record or some inner notes or a friend.

When I decided to buy a bass after a three-year break for my fingers (I sold my electric guitar for going for holidays with my girlfriend at that time) I instantly loved it. It changed a lot in me. I found my groove if you know what I mean.

After that came Jaco! I met Jaco, through the pages of the possibly the first or the second Bassplayer magazine I bought and I have to say I was astounded by him for a strange reason, before even hear his music! (Well I knew some Weather Report tunes but not much). I remember I took the magazine with me for the weekend with my wife and friends and I was showing them the article for him, as it was something they have to know, as it was something they were missing about this guy!

And then his music came! That was a reinvention of the music! I had the same feeling you have when you hear sounds for the first time when you were kid. I heard a lot of things in my life by his music really meant something sacred for me in a mysterious reason and imagine I was always a guy not believing in idols. Actually Jaco is not an idol for me; Jaco is like a missing friend, a father or a mentor.

I have to admit. Now I know about Jaco and I’m very happy that he existed and he is around since then. I hope I will meet him in time, maybe in another form. Who knows?

Peace and love.
Please let’s try to save this planet and to preserve the Real music.
Ingrid you look marvellous and so beautiful to the pictures with Jaco.

Yiannis Konstas Economou
(aka jkpd)
from Athens Greece
www.funk.gr

PS. I was writing these lines listening mostly to Brazilian music, and mostly to a song called
PRECE AO VENTO (Gilvan Chaves-Fernando Luiz-Alcir Pires Vermelho) by Wilson Simonal.

I dedicate it to Jaco and Ingrid:

Vento que embalança as faia do coqueiro,
vento que encrespa as águas do mar,
vento que assanha os cabelos da morena
me traz notícias de lá.
Vento que assobia no "teiado",
chamando para a lua "espiá"...
Vento que, na "berá" lá da praia,
escutava meu amor a "cantá"...
Hojé "to" sozinho e tu também,
triste me "alembrando"do meu bem.
Vento diga, por favor,
"adonde" se escondeu o meu amor?

Listening To: Everything nice.

Re: I have to admit

Hello Yiannis,

Thank you for your kind post, for sharing your feelings so openly, I smiled reading about your Jaco discovery, you know, timing is everything, and that was your time, uniquely, as well as then finding the instrument to express your groove. Nice!!

I love that you describe him as a friend, family, mentor.. it fits, and Jaco deserves it.

I'm with you on saving this planet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Zk4-JPCdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XClNHfmFDog

PS Thank you Yiannis..
"Where my love is hidden..."

Listening To: jaco solo

Re: I have to admit

Thank you Ingrid for your words.
They meant a lot to me.
Yiannis

Listening To: Everything nice.