Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JP, Ira Sullivan - Continuum '73
Re: JP, Ira Sullivan - Continuum '73

clickety clatzky..lol..sweet photos, T! Thank you! Absolutely great recordings, YEAH! for Ira, those tapes need to be heard, so glad he is sharing them.

Look at dem young faces, what a beautiful Florida scene.

Yep, absolutely nice photo. Take a look at Ira Sullivan's discography up until when that photo was taken and here he is, playing outside with the kids.

Is the guy with no shirt on Economouwski?

I don't think it is, T. This foto speaks a thousand words..sure warms the heart...and Ira is an "amazing grace" himself.

I caught Ira at Jaco's 20-Anniversary Tribute in Lauderdale just last month and he was amazing. A rich, glowing personality, dressed like he just stepped from a coffee shop across from the beach, real Florida, real class. Spoke praisingly of his friend Jaco. He said when he was asked "I can't remember one bad story about the man." Then he stood back 3-feet from the mic. and played. What a sound, huge, mature and every phrase relaxed. A joy to the senses is the only way to sum up his performance.
One class act.
Bassmickeyd
PS: Back in 1977 I went to a Jazz tribute show I think in Miami Beach. It was full of real heavy players. I'm sure Ira was there and played. I was in heaven and I remember winning a T-shirt that read "CURTIS FULLER USES THE RHYTHM METHOD"
I wore it proudly till I wore it out.
It always got a big smile from the ladies.
BM

Listening To: Havona- Cause the suns out

Talking about t-shirts: in the picture it seems Jaco wears the same shirt as he wore when he recorded his first album!

My trivial way to start another wonderful Jaco year

JJ

Yo JJ,

Then there's the question: did the shirt shrink or did JP eventually grew out of the shirt...

You're missing out.

"did eventually grew out"

Great, 2008 starts with a typo. Good night. Pfffffft.

Yo T, long time!

So wassup with the snow over there is Mozart country, we didn't have any up untill now but things can change (according to Al Gore).

The Shirt: guess JP had his shirt washed once or twice during the years. With these festival shirts it's highly unlikely that it was actually wearable (new word?) after more than two washes.

JJ

I meant '****ty tourist shirts' of course

Snow, in Curacao?

(..How about a dime for that rhyme!... ...)

This post turned from talking about a great musician to a conversation Jaco's fashion sense. ....... Raise your hand if you were brought up in a mall.
BM

Listening To: Remake You Made- Cause the suns doesn't always shine

You sound like these two old farts in the Muppet Show, criticizing everything they see. Lighten up, BM.

And here I thought of starting a mission to see how many photos I could find of Jaco wearing the shirt at different times!!

In '78 he didn't have the shirt, it must definitely have been one of his favorites. He kept the ones he wore on stage strictly for performances, as well the headbands and hats.

BTW Ira regularly plays at The Globe in Coral Gables, FL

http://www.theglobecafe.com/

his next performance will be Jan. 26th.

A mall is where you get mauled.

Listening To: birdies

I have always been enamored with Jaco's clothing and absolutely think its worthy of discussion. I recently received a T shirt in the mail that was sent by my friends wife. My friend Joe passed away 2 years ago and it was very special to receive a piece of his clothing.

I remember searching all over the internet for a shirt similar to Jaco's blue button down birds of paradise shirt only to find out from Ingrid that it was custom made for him.

Yes, that is a beauuuutiful shirt!

i see two different t-shirts.
the bahamas goombay summer shirt has a single smile at the bottom, the other shirt has two shapes, and doesn't look like a smiley face.
not that it matters a hill o' beans

JJ, no snow in Vienna, 13°C. How's it in Curacao? There you have it bassmickeyd: we're talking about the weather now.

But let's get back more important things. Shirts for example...

The oldest piece of cloth that I still wear is a 10 year old pullover. Tell us about your vintage clothing!

It's 35 degrees over here T. Smoking hot but with the ever present breeze it's still comfortable. Anyway: I'm not wearing too many sweaters lately.

Are you suggesting that the three sweaters Jaco wears are the same? Maybe, but then something went terribly wrong looking before the third pic was taken...

My oldest piece of clothing is..YES...a Jaco shirt I once bought on CDNOW. I'm not even sure if that store still exists! Anyway, it has holes all over but I'm a loyal fan so I still wear it from time to time.

This will be the greatest thread on Jaco ever, I just feel it!

JJ

We're fan-fashion victims! (I'm not suggesting that shirt #3 is the same...)

But let's get back on topic...

Jim Jarmusch relates the following anecdote:

"A secret organization exists called The Sons of Lee Marvin - it includes myself, Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Richard Bose... Six months ago, Tom Waits was in a bar somewhere like Sonoma County in Northern California, and the bartender said:
'You’re Tom Waits, right? A guy over there wants to talk to you.'
Tom went over to this dark corner booth and the guy sitting there said,
'Sit down, I want to talk to you.'
'What do you want to talk to me about? I don’t know you.'
'What is this bull**** about the Sons of Lee Marvin?'
'Well, it’s a secret organization and I’m not supposed to talk about it.'
'I don’t like it.'
'What’s it to you?'
'I’m Lee Marvin’s son', and he really was.
He thought it was insulting, although its intention is to be completely out of respect for Lee Marvin."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Marvin

Sons of Lee Marvin

That's an extremely exclusive organization. I remember a documentary some years back on Tom Waits. Jarmusch was interviewed in it and mentioned the SOLM. I think he even had biz cards printed up for it. It's definitely a sign of respect since Marvin had a distinct acting style that earned respect. Dig 'Emperor of the North'.

Then there's these guys: http://www.bsojc.com/

This post is a prime example of that game where people sit in a circle and one person whispers into the next persons ear. That, then gets repeated until it makes it back to the first person and what is whispered in their ear isn't even in the same language.
1) Ira and Jaco
2) T-shirts
3) To weather
4) To tourists
5) To Cutacao
6) To a sarcastic remarks by yours truly (Oops! I did it again)
7) To Muppets
8) To Fashion
9) To ever shrinking Fashion
10) Back to the Weather
11) To how its so hard to say goodbye to that old t-shirt
12) To, my favorite, Tom Waits belonging to a secret order called; "The Sons of Lee Marvin" PS: Are they accepting new members?
13) To the "piece-de-resistance" Lee Marvin's son confronting Tom Waits in a bar about being a member of that same secret order.
14) To reviews of a great old film starring Lee M. and Earnest Borgnine.

I'm just dying to see where we go next.

Listening To: John and Mary- Cause I love the sound of children laughing.

How 'bout the weather?

My oldest piece of clothing is a Michael Jordan T shirt that I bought new around 1986. I was 16 at the time. It has kind of "grown" with me over the years as its super super soft and see thru at this point, but has stretched nicely over time.

Jaco liked tight fitting, stretchy shirts for stage, easy to wash and dry while on the road without having to iron, aside from the fact that those kinds of shirts showed the ripples of his muscles :)

Speaking of ironing...I thought I was doing something nice for him when I decided to iron his most favorite shirt you can see in most of the Tom Copi photos, I burned a mark on it, Jaco was visibly disappointed, yet very forgiving.

His pants were either soft cotton or corduroy, he didn't start wearing jeans till the last couple of years, and some of the clothes he wore and are seen in photos during those years most likely came from someone's closet he happened to be visiting that day. LOL

The only sneakers he wore were either Converse high tops or Stan Smith Adidas. For stage he wore off-white Capezio's, thin soled, for easy dancing. Daily footwear were those old-man-slip-in shoes or the black Chinese martial arts shoes.

Listening To: snoring puppy

The man had style. period.

Hows that old saying go; "Never a loaner or Ironer be"

Speaking of shoes...

JP wearing bowling shoes in Finland (08:03). (though hardly visible on the yt-video)

PS: thanks for the summary, bassmickeyd.

Use notebook while ironing/iron with your notebook:

Control temperature per running applications varying in computational intensity.

T, thanks for linking up that video. I had not seen that one and it warms my heart to know there is more Jaco out there, waiting to be found.

We're on the move people.
15) Ironing
16) Thanks
17) Videos

My favorite Jaco video is posted by a very cool fellow called FRANCKY85 from a little country called France, perhaps you've heard of it? Look on his youtube site for lots and lots and lots.
It's of Jaco's solo performance at the Beliner Jazz Fest. in 1979
Jaco walks thru the crowd towards the stage playing Continuum.
Watch for the guy on the stairs as Jaco is playing right in front of him.
He's like a deer in the headlights.

Try your luck at this link.
But as my past link to links will prove I suck at links.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oFwfpahRHi8

Nice info about his shoes!
The bio book mentions that when Jaco was in Uptown Funk All-Stars he dressed up like he was playing basketball, complete with Converse all-stars.

What kind of shoes did he wear for his baby powder slide stunt? Did he do that as he got older, or did he stop?

Thanks Ron, for inspiring this discussion with your memory of winning a CURTIS FULLER T-shirt to impress the ladies.. lol

Rather than likening this thread to how gossip in the first ear turns out to be completely different in someone else’s ear and so forth, this is more an example of how I partly teach ESL (English as a Second Language); start with a topic and pay attention to how you can trigger a whole list of subjects, great for continuity of discussion, hence conversation and learning. So kudos to you for being the first to get off topic and inspire others! :)

Though I am not so sure about ironing with your laptop, T!

Francky has been a huge fan of Jaco for years, truly dedicated, and Ron, most who post here are from Europe, France is a neighbor.

Berliner Jazz Tage tidbits:

It was the first time Jaco did a solo performance as a bassist, it wasn’t a common occurrence then.
It was the first time he used wireless amplification which he borrowed from Joni.
It was the first time he met Toots, then impromptu invited him to sit in on Sophisticated Lady, which of course led to later recordings.
Played “Amerika” with a bit of a patriotic attitude while being near the Berliner wall... haha

R, I just remember Jaco wearing his Capezios while slip sliding on stage, I don’t know what he did after 1985, perhaps he stopped then? Dunno..

Listening To: best weather ever...