Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bass Harmonics Chart

Don't know how correct it is, but pretty cool for those who might get value from it:

http://www.advancebass.com/node/2

"A bass harmonics Chart for the Electric Bass. This chart is a great reference for learning possible chords with the Natural Harmonics of the electric bass. Some of the Chords include ones played by the legendary Jaco Pastorius."

Re: Bass Harmonics Chart

Though the Harmonic chart is correct the cord chart below it didn't seem to be too clear on helping one build a cord vocabulary using harmonics on bass.
Plus understanding that the 1st Harmonic, on the G-string is the open G, 2nd. G-12 fret.(one octave above) 3rd. D-7-fret,(octave and a fifth above) 4th. G 5-fret,(two octaves above), 5th. B-forth fret. which is two octaves and a third above. and so on.
There's a book called HARMONICS FOR ELECTRIC BASS written by Adam Novick that is amazing and a must if you're serious about understanding their potential.
Plus the books back pages are filled with cord charts for every cord in every key.
I saw this book once in 1978, bought it and have never seen it again. My copy is quite dog-eared but still useable.
WOW! I just looked on Amazon and there's a used one for sale for $100. So I guess it is out of print.
Try to keep your eye out for it in the used bins.
BM

Listening To: Talk To Me

Most of the online used book dealers have a feature where you can list the book that you are looking for and the price you are willing to pay. When they get the book, they notify you. You are under no obligation to buy. I recently picked up Harmonics for Electric Bass for $10 using this method. It took about 3 months of waiting, however.

Thanks for the link to my site. I've updated the site, lots of new stuff. Also the link to the Bass Harmonics chart is now at: http://advancebass.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42:bass-harmonics-chart&catid=16:charts&directory=100

Now that's a long URL hey! Next step is trimming those, but for now I'm focusing on content.

Thanks again, Jim

Listening To: Hadrien Feraud

BTW about the chart. The Harmonics Chart is by no means an all inclusive learning tool, it's more of an experiment and kind of a fun toy. I've updated some of the chords to be more accurate naming conventions and I will try to incorporate your suggestions in the future.

If you are looking for some more robust learning tools check out thebassvault.com in their bass labs, some pretty cool stuff.

Listening To: Hadrien Feraud