Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jaco's bass :(

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06272008/news/regionalnews/dischord_over_jazz_greats_bass_guitar_117447.htm

DISCHORD OVER JAZZ GREAT'S BASS GUITAR
By C.J. SULLIVAN and JENNIFER FERMINO

Last updated: 8:13 am
June 27, 2008

A fabled bass guitar that belonged to tragic jazz great Jaco Pastorius and disappeared 20 years ago has turned up in New York - smack in the heart of a nasty legal battle.

Matthew Brewster, owner of 30th Street Guitar in Manhattan, is taking Pastorius' family to court. He claims, in a federal lawsuit filed yesterday, that he is the rightful owner of "the bass of doom" - which is now worth $75,000.

Brewster says that he didn't believe the seller's pitch that it belonged to Pastorius, especially since he paid a measly $400 for it about two years ago.

He says he later found it was, indeed, the real thing, but refuses to name the seller.

"If I wanted to, I could've sold it," he said. "I was the one who contacted the family. I wanted to do something friendly."

But Pastorius' grown children allege that the bass, which their dad used on recordings with Herbie Hancock and the group Weather Report, was stolen before his death in 1987.

And as such, they say, it belongs to them.

Pastorius was 35 when he died after being beaten by a Florida club bouncer.

Re: Jaco's bass :(

Yes, I def go with the :( So sad, So sad.

Well, if he paid $400 for the bass it wouldn't be any big loss for him to put it where it belongs....like in a certain Park or some' similar?

Of course, it's all about big bucks, but that I can't take with me when it's time for the next level.

Peace,
Örjan

Listening To: Victor Wooten \\\\"I saw God\\\\"

But, if it's not about money, I have an "Anniversary Jazz Bass" that I paid $1.967:59 for ten years ago that I can trade, and then I know what to do with the "Bass of Doom".

Listening To: Victor Wooten \\\\"I saw God\\\\"

I would not be so quick to judge. Things have a way of coming out in court records. If there is anyone in NYC the records are public information and free, you can get the hearing dates and subsequent transcripts, rulinds, motions, all of it is open book but you have to go there.

Drens

...what I m,ean is maybe he was trying to figure a way to find out if it was really stolen, or donate proceeds from the sale, or get the money back, or just talk with the family to figure out what they wanted to do?

The truth must come out. If the bass was stolen, sold, brought someplace and left, purchased or re-purchased, there is a story in it. I can see both sides but I would not even with as much respect for Jaco I have take any side. The only side it the truth, the facts, the history, and the concious of both the claimant and the possessor who bought the bass. It should not be about money. Because whoever wants the bass for the monetary value will surely lose in court, however who wants to know and give the truth will win.

So far the possessor does not want to reveal the person who sold him the bass. This cannot be because his story and how he got it must be addressed. Maybe he is saving it for the fact-finding mission of the discovery process.

If the bass was not stolen and sold by Jaco or someone close to him this will have to come out, including all the circumstances.

If the bass indeed ends up belonging to the possessor it would be up to him to offer it back, or figure out what to doe with it. Maybe he was looking for ideas.

If it turns out it was not stolen then he is entitled to do what he wants including the right thing. Then, what he does must be respected and honored.

If my opinion make me unpopular it is only because I look for the truth.

who actually has the bass now?
The reason why I ask is because I assumed that Brewster has it and mixed up in my mind that the family filed the suit. In any event I messed up claimant and possessor.

Therefore as to the above:

Posessor= Brewster
Claimant= the Pastorius Family

oh... I just learned that the bass of doom was ripped off from the person who re-built the bass... it was an actual robbery???