Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
...and two years later..

It's funny how one thing sometimes leads to another....well actually everything leads to another but maybe not so clear all the time.

But what I wanted to write is:
2 years ago me and my wife had the pleasure to visit New York City for the first time in our lifes and -after a tip from Ingrid- also visit Zink Bar in Greenwich Village. We found it the second time we went there, a little place below ground level -which explaines why we didn't find it the first time..we never looked down loll. As all newies in NY we just looked uuuuuuup loll!

Anyhow, after a sushi around the corner and a beer at the Z-bar it was time for the band to start, so we moved closer to the door to "make space" for the guys if in case someone in the band wanted to improvise in moves as well as in their playing. And here is why I posted this:
I'm sitting here, making a list of all the music we have on cd ( I'm coming down to movies and vinyl later, lucky I have one week left of my holiday)

From Albert Ayler through Beatles, Coltrane, Chick, Miles and Betty Davis, Roy Hargrove passing Alison Krause, sliding off to Murcof and Moondog I suddenly find myself looking at the cd I bought at Zink Bar, signed "Thanks so much! Marcus Strickland". I haven't been listening to that cd for a while now since my mind have been accupied with other music lately, so here it is now again in the cd-player and of course since one thing leads you know....I'm on Marcus Myspace and the first song I see there is "Portrait Of Tracy!.. ..and that leads me to Jaco and back here again, the circle is closed.

What I also remember is that I spoke to Marcus and mentioned that my intention was to write something about that evening. Now, I don't believe that Marcus Strickland is depended on my post -his music speaks for it self- but I just wanted to say what a great time we had and here I am at last as I promised, though two years too late.

I don't remember the names of the three other members in the band, but they were all very good musicians. I know that the the guitarist was Lage Lund -sounds scandinavian, even swedish to me..?..and that the drummer was NOT Marcus brother, but that he was all over the drums. Fenomenal! Brad Jones el. bass? What a memory! Maybe someone knows?

In any case, it was an evening with the most to wish, great music in a great club in a great city and thank you Marcus for being the very nice person you were to a total stranger just passing by! That I DO remember!

So, if someone haven't heard what we heard that evening and also wants to hear a different version of "Portrait Of Tracy", here you are:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42553163

Thanks again Marcus, and Ingrid for a space "where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder... ..means a lot!

New York, the plans are made for next summer,and maybe Ft Lauderdale as well, who knows!

My Best to everyone!
Peace,
Örjan

Listening To: Marcus Strickland Quartets: Twi-Life

Re: ...and two years later..

Hej Ö!

You're right, 'cause and effect' is one of those things that makes the world go around...powerful.

Marcus and his twin brother E.J. are deep, versatile musicians who grew up in Florida, thanks for bringing him to our attention, the CD is available at CDBaby.

Jazz with an ethnic twist lives!!

Marcus' POT is an example of what great compositions can inspire.

My pleasure to meet with your heart here, Ö!

Got back from NY around 1am this morning, that city moves the spirit no other city can, hope you make it next year.

HUGS