Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
colin campbell blows little sunflower/victor bailey

hello ingrid and everyone , now i have a computer i plan to be more active in this and other forums. victor bailey is coming to london this weekend , he`s playing a small club called charlie wrights with poogie bell on drums !!!! its another place london jazz cats go to hang and jam like the one`s in my youtube post jaco`s the best 77 . its a pretty healthy jazz scene here at the moment with some great music and little money ... perfect !! thats the way jazz has always been . do you remember in the guitar player interveiw when bill milkowski asked jaco who his favourite players were ? he said victor bailey , marcus miller and any gonzales. nice choice !!! when i read that back in 84/85 i thought `if jaco likes this dude then im off to buy domino theory` and was then floored by dflat waltz and kept it on my turntable for weeks/years , its a classic . for me dflat waltz is up there with teen town . oh yeah , i just posted another small club jam on youtube colin campbell blows lttle sunflower . colin is back in london after an extended stint in miami ... recognise him ? he`s a devout hari krishna and after driving a bus for london tansport for 6 hours came to the gig and the first tune was this !! he rocked . cheers , mike .

Listening To: santana

Re: colin campbell blows little sunflower/victor bailey

check out colin campbells little sunflower its one of the best soprano sax performances of this week on planet earth . im now onto the weather report album [not cd] SPORTIN LIFE , another 80`s classic with vic bailey on bass . pearl on the half shell is a killer groove and the extended `whats going on` yeah zawinul playing marvin is a timeless master piece . these albums were my life back in 85 , them and my jv squire 62 sunburst jazz that i sold like and idiot 8 years ago ........... nevermind . see ya , mike .

One of my favorite tunes,like. I also like "Three Flowers" and "Song for Debbie" Even though Little Sunflower is not in 3/3 or 6/8 you can give it to have that feel and take it from 5/8 and 11/16 measures here and there to break it up while developing it but keeping a phantom 4 as an accent or tonal move hidden with prominance inside the odd measures... I don't know how else to explain myself.

Joe

Listening To: Jamey Abersold Recs

speaking of idiot... I said 3/3 and meant 3/4 but that's not the worse of it. I sold my 1956 P-Bass for 900. in 1996... it even got worse. oh well I would trade it for an English Horn today or even a Paxman Triple Horn (double with a Descant on top... compensating) ahhh to be poor...:(

Joe

Listening To: Wee Small Hrs of The Morning

three flowers , mcoy tyner right ? i played that one on a gig ten years ago !!! i remember the gig and think i may have a mini disc recording of it somewhere . waltz for debby i think i played that once but was drunk and messed it up .......... i tend not to do that these days , get drunk that is . oscar peterson is a master of that tune after bill evans of course . have you guys watched the youtube clip jaco lives on ? its jaco being a bit drunk/hyper and playing his invitation album . its not fair that its on there , do any of us want to see videos of our drunken behaviour ? its bad enough remembering the night before and thinking `oh **** , what did i say ?` and then putting on your apology coat and facing your friends . let alone being a music legend and the same people who love you rub your face in the dirt when your gone .let the man rest in peace and just enjoy his music , the trouble is he`s so charismatic and like with elvis or hendrix we always want more from them even if its in bad taste .

Yea you got that right. Also I hate to listen to Waltz For Debbie sung by Johnny Hartman... actually makes me cry. But I once played that on oboe and broke into My Favorite Things ala Coltrane. Hartman also did great work with Trane. But I prefer sound and range of English Horn to oboe. I dislike the Bassoon. Still have a bassoon but no oboe or E.H. Yea McCoy Tyner. I used to go nuts on the Inner Voices LP -- sounded to me like Music inspired by the golden age of Egypt 2000 b.c. Great Bass lines on that. 'For Tomorrow' a good stand-out cut. I like to play 'Chim Chim Chreree' what'er the name of that Poppins tune on Soprano Sax. Sounds strange probably, but to me the closest thing to Soprano Sax is string bass, electric or acoustic.
Yea alcohol and playing music don't really work out for me too. All my basses used to get Zappasetic burn marks from cigarettes till I realized it was messing with my creative flow. Good food good music. Exercise is a tough one require a special motivation.

I'll look for that U-Tube in the search function. Nice chatting with you.

Joe Campagna