Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fashion

I'm pretty sure if Jaco was around and he knew and liked me (which I bet he would), that if we were hangin' one day and I said...."hey man, that is the coolest shirt ever", he'd probably be like..."what this? you like it? here (taking it off) let's trade." or something like that.

anyone disagree?

can't help but respond like this when I see a pic of him in a cool ass black shirt with cool stripes. mojo.

i'm wondering the possibility of attaining something like that. Of course its an extremely sentimental family heirloom so the whole gesture would need to be pretty extraordinary all around. that said, how bout jp park donation, candy and free lawn mowing for life?

Re: fashion

hello jay , to be honest its a bit much to ask for the dudes shirt but i agree he proberbly would have given it to you if he was here . its a nice shirt though , a bit bobby di nero mean streets ......... i used to have a phillies cap and gave it away to someone . oh yeah , i gave it to a kid in jamaica when i took my kid there back in 93 . check out my latest youtube film jamming the blues at smalls 2 its me jamming with a fantastic pianist called sacha perry who is a bebop virtuoso . im a total fan of his after hearing him at smalls ny . i read about him in downbeat and then the next thing i knew i was jamming with him a day after arriving in ny , awesome ! fashion , turn to the left ... fashion , turn to the right ... we are the goon squad and were coming to town beep beep ... beep beep . thats a bit of bowie for you all ! mike .

Funny, Jay, though I agree with you that Jaco would give his shirt of his back, nor would he hesitate to trade, he most likely would not have done it with this particular shirt. It was his MOST favorite stage shirt, made of stretchy, ribbed non-organic material, which I accidentally and regrettably ruined by using too hot of an iron. {what a do-do head, so sorry, Jaco}

I gave all of Jaco's clothes he had left here to his brother Greg hoping it could be of some use.

Speaking of Bowie, Mike, the movie Absolute Beginners, one of my favorites when it came out in 86, musical score by Gil Evans, who passed away few months after Jaco, here's a clip:

I hope you all realize I would never seriously ask for the clothing of a deceased loved one unless I knew them personally. The lead singer in my first band 'Speedmuffin' passed away 2 years ago and his wife sent me one of Joe's favorite t shirts. I will cherish it forever. Sometimes my various internet posts become more of a fantasy outlet.

So THAT was the infamous iron shirt. good to know. ha ha. well.....guess it wasn't too funny at the time.

exellent bowie clip , im always around the soho area in london w1 hanging out at ronnie scotts or wherever . london swings on a good day , like the 60s . hendrix played his last at ronnies and i saw art blakey , mcoy tyner , freddie hubbard , horace silver , lou donaldson at ronnies . im sure jaco passed through in the 80s but i never daw you guys . thats ingrid and jaco , didnt you buy something that was used on word of mouth in an oriental/african musical instrument place in neal st ?? i bought a chinese bamboo flute from that shop , and still have it. bought t in 1990

Listening To: bowie

just watched this bowie clip again , thanks for that too .

Re: Jaco's Hats

Does anyone know the significance of Jaco's weariing hats when he performs. Did this originate from Joe Zawinul? Was it symbolic of something? I dig the cool multi colored beanies. Appreciate any insight about this...thanks.
--Tom

Listening To: Live at the Berliner Jazztage

Hi Tom, when I first met Jaco he only wore his indian beaded headband with the image of a bird in front. It seemed he went to wearing the colorful beanies after leaving WR, so perhaps it was Joe who inspired him, though it could have been my brother Peter who had been wearing them for years prior as well.

Thank you Ingrid. It is always a pleasure to hear any of your recollections. I am always anticpating your posts.
Peace and good health,
--Tom

Listening To: Live at the Berliner Jazztage