Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FREDDIE HUBBARD {RIP}

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/30/americas/obits.php

Freddie Hubbard, 70, energetic jazz trumpeter
By Peter Keepnews
Published: December 30, 2008

Freddie Hubbard, a jazz trumpeter who dazzled audiences and critics alike with his virtuosity, his melodicism and his infectious energy, died Monday in Sherman Oaks, California. He was 70.

The cause was complications of a heart attack he had Nov. 26, said his spokesman, Don Lucoff of DL Media.

Over a career that began in the late 1950s, Hubbard earned both critical praise and commercial success - although rarely for the same projects.

He attracted attention in the 1960s for his bravura work as a member of the Jazz Messengers, the valuable training ground for young musicians led by the veteran drummer Art Blakey, and on albums by Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and many others. He also recorded several well-regarded albums as a leader. And although he was not an avant-gardist by temperament, he participated in three of the seminal recordings of the 1960s jazz avant-garde: Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz" (1960), Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch" (1964) and John Coltrane's "Ascension" (1965).

Re: FREDDIE HUBBARD {RIP}

Rest in peace Freddie.

sad indeed. 2 weeks ago my bass teacher introduced me to Red Clay. went in for a lesson earlier today to lay it down and found out the news. RIP Freddie

im glad to say i saw him live at ronnie scotts club back in 85 and was blown away by the force of his music . he had an unknown alto player with him called kenny garrett , the next year kenny came back with art blakey ..... those guys like freddie are JAZZZZ .

Listening To: aladine sane

Friday, January 02, 2009

Herbie Hancock Statement On The Passing Of Freddie Hubbard

Freddie Hubbard was, I believe, the greatest jazz trumpet stylists of my generation. His influence is still being felt in the sound of many young trumpeters today. His warm tone and formidable technique will be considered marvels well into the future.

Personally, I was so fortunate in that Freddie played on my very first album as a leader "Takin' Off". He was exactly the person I wanted and his contribution was groundbreaking. On a tune called "One Finger Snap" on a subsequent album of mine, his beginning improvised solo line worked so seamlessly that it became a kind of generic "melody" that most musicians still believe was the composed melody, when in fact it was not.

He and I crossed paths musically in several albums. In the group VSOP he was a founding member who's artistry helped propel that project, which began as a one time tour, to a decade of memorable musical inspirational moments for me.

His legacy is secure in that he played a seminal role of the shaping of the evolution of America's foremost contribution to the musical arts, jazz.

Herbie Hancock