Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new site

Hi,

This is a neew jaco web site here !
http://jacopastorius.fr

Bye

Re: new site

Pleasant looking site, I especially like the thumbnail video.

Though the label went defunct in 2004, this must be its 4th release from the list announcing upcoming CDs found referenced here:

http://www.jacopastorius.com/interact/discussions/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1582&whichpage=1

The Players Club was a lucky bonus that had come along in the interim.

On the site selling the CDs it also shows upcoming releases of Jaco with Ira Sullivan and Peter Graves.

Such amazing gems, all of them! Too bad they are being released through the backdoor and curiously not hailed as official releases. Somebody struck a good $ deal!

I dont understand these discs. I found the upcoming discs list below on a Japanese site that is the same as Bob Bobbing was talking about on the JPI board. And yet there is no mention of him, Holiday Park, or JPI on the ones that have already been released. Are these officially sanctioned or bootlegs?

2.Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2009 Fall

3.Wayne Cochran & CCRiders featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2009 Winter

4.Ira Sullivan Quintet featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2010年

5.Peter Graves Orchestra featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2011年

6.Jaco 's First Florida Demo's
⇒ 2012年

Exactly, I want to tell about them from the rooftops, but it's so hush-hush...not officially promoted, yet also not screamed about as bootlegs... but there are a couple of common denominators in all of them.

Players Club alludes to being official, but then again, not really, it's very unclear and incomplete.

Info taken from each CD:

DEMO TAPE:
Victor Entertainment - JVC
LICENSED from STEM MUSIC INC (which doesn't exist on the web)
no other names or info except the musicians
Released June 25, 2008
Abstract Logix states:
Compiled by Yoshio Matsu****a (Adlib).

WOODCHUCK
produced by BB
compiled recordings by BB
released supervised by Yoshio Matsu****a
Label KING INTERNATIONAL, INC next to logo of Holiday Park PRODUCTIONS
(note the change from Holiday Park Records to Productions, no record of a corp in that name)
Released December 20, 2008
http://www.jacopastorius.com/interact/discussions/topic.asp?whichpage=0.533333333333333&TOPIC_ID=4784Ꝇ

PLAYERS CLUB
Produced by BB
original recording by Pete Trias
supervised(?) by Yoshio Matsu****a
edited by Rich Franks
art direction and cover Yoshio Matsu****a
Special thanks to John Pastorius and Mary Pastorius ({half of} Jaco Pastorius, Inc)
special thanks Fumimaru Kawashina
label KING INTERNATIONAL, Inc next to Holiday Park RECORDS logo
copyright Holiday Park Records
released Dec 2007

Holiday Park Records became an inactive corporation in 2004

==================================================
http://www.kinginternational.co.jp/
lists Woodchuck

https://kinginternational.jp/index.shtml
Jaco doll sold together with Early Years
Jaco Pastorius Big Band 82 DVD with Tshirt

There is NOTHING to find on STEM MUSIC, INC who licensed the music...weird

More on bootlegs: http://www.jacopastorius.com/interact/discussions/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4875&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=bootleg

And you're right, John, JPI is glaringly missing from all the releases, except a special thanks to two of the four kids on the Players Club. Wonder who's making the dough, only those mentioned on the releases?

Ingrid
And you're right, John, JPI is glaringly missing from all the releases, except a special thanks to two of the four kids on the Players Club. Wonder who's making the dough, only those mentioned on the releases?

Neil Weiss?

haha...funny guy...but doubt it, T, I am sure that so called "legal" letter is still circulating which put Neil Weis was out of commission (as stated in below linked post and quoted), which was actually ILLEGAL for two reasons:

1. The person quoted below has no legal position or rights to do anything on behalf of Jaco or JPI

2. The CDs referenced below as bootlegs weren't bootlegs. Giving the 4 kids equally divided more than a quarter of a million dollars is no peanuts, nor considered bootlegs, as a matter of fact, removing those CDs from the bins and not replacing it with ANYTHING new, who knows how much funds the kids didn't receive because of that illegal move. Aside from the fact that those CDs have been instrumental for so many fans as an introduction to Jaco, and how many now were lost.

http://www.jacopastorius.com/interact/discussions/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4875&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=bootleg

"So with that said, in my quest to repair and lift up Jaco’s legacy one of the things I needed to accomplish was to circulate an official lawyer’s letter to distributors worldwide to remove certain bootlegs from their inventory. But my concerns were that if I was successful at removing the bootlegs, as I was, that Jaco’s record bins could dry up as a result. At that time it wasn’t uncommon to go to a store and not find Jaco’s essential solo debut album or the Word Of Mouth albums because there were a dozen or so sub standard bootlegs displacing the essentials. The stores don’t know any better, they just stock and sell based upon pricing and whatever the distributors send them. Quality and content is never a consideration. So, I needed to procure a Major Label release with major distribution to hit the stores at approximately the same time I puled the bootlegs in order to keep Jaco’s record bins alive. Without a major release on the horizon at that time, Jaco’s records could have ended up in the "P" section."

BTW Jaco would never have ended up in the P bin, and still isn't given that nothing much else has been put in place of the LINY cds, only someone who has no faith in Jaco's legacy nor respect for his achievements says that.

Neil Weiss could have sued, but out of respect for Jaco's kids, and not wanting to cause them any legal fees he decided not to, a true gentleman. Quite the opposite of what someone else is doing, frivolously starting up lawsuits that only costs the kids $, yet not out of his own pocket.

Makes one wonder about these new releases...

To clarify: I was just kidding of course. Couldn't resist because it seems to me as if there's some irony in that story.

http://www.jacopastorius.com/music/

"Visit the Early Years Site"

OK...

Rich Franks has also no idea as to what's the deal with the "Live At The Players Club" disc?

John
I dont understand these discs. I found the upcoming discs list below on a Japanese site that is the same as Bob Bobbing was talking about on the JPI board. And yet there is no mention of him, Holiday Park, or JPI on the ones that have already been released. Are these officially sanctioned or bootlegs?

2.Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2009 Fall

⇒ 2009 Winter

4.Ira Sullivan Quintet featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2010年

5.Peter Graves Orchestra featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2011年

6.Jaco 's First Florida Demo's
⇒ 2012年

Hi. What's the address of the site that sell these
recordings? Just curious.

Got the irony, took the opportunity, T.

To answer your question; though I don't know whether Rich knew it would be released the way the credits read and without the official JPI stamp, I believe he did know it would be via a Japanese connection. My understanding is, Rich wanted to do the right thing, so he contacted JPI, which would have included all four kids as a corporation, not just two individually thanked. Instead Rich had to deal with the "unofficial business manager", who botched up and fabricated the liner notes, then punished Rich by not releasing it in the USA..(ugh). Rich agreed not to receive any compensation for it assuming it would benefit all four of his friend Jaco's kids. With the way the CD is credited, Rich's wish actually taking place could now sadly be questionable.

Of course I could be incorrect, I prefer to be wrong about ALL of it.

Here are some links, Matt:

"site in Japanese"

"translated"

"translated"

Thanks Ingrid :)

It's more than a little curious that these incredible releases from Jaco's early years are only being released in Japan. No doubt many Americans would love to have a copy as well.

I stand corrected: on the back cover of The Players Club CD it does state

"Jaco Pastorius Inc Official Album"
www.jacopastorius.com

copyright 2007 HOLIDAY PARK RECORDS
December 15, 2007
Distributed by KING INTERNATIONAL KK.

Which is even more puzzling, because there is absolutely no mention in any official capacity of this beautiful release featuring Jaco with his musical friends, Rich and Alex, he so admired and learned from.

On another note, but so relevant.

Tommy Strand and the Upper Hand can be pre-ordered now at the Japanese website, apparently unbeknownst to its "producer", who also claims ownership of all releases (but how? and why? the four heirs own them), see http://www.jacopastorius.com/interact/discussions/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1706&whichpage=2

"August 17, 2009

#1.《I Just Wanna Make Love To You》は『 Early Years Recordings 』に収録されていたバージョンであることが改めて判明しました。 The producer, Bob bobbing.....
Photo by Bob Bobbing"

As with the Players Club, no royalty for any of the musicians performing on the CDs?

http://www.mail-archive.com/joni@jmdl.com/msg12968.html

"I am planning to put Jaco's face and name back in the minds of many who have forgotten him as well as the many who would have never even heard of him otherwise."

Many people have forgotten Jaco? Many who meet and know Jaco forget him? Just not possible.

"I could have easily released a series of cheesy, low quality single CD's to immediately cash in, but instead I chose to produce something meaningful and worthwhile to hopefully make a difference."

Wonder which cheesy ones, the recent CDs coming from Japan? And who can cash in? So confusing.

"Also the fact that I have persuaded numerous music notables and Jaco alumni to come onboard.....and each and every one of their decisions to get involved should also speak volumes to my sincere intentions"

HAH, funny, those "notables" have been "onboard" with Jaco from the first time they heard him, lol..don't think they had to be "persuaded", clearly they decided to "get involved" for their friend Jaco, the master that he is, and his four kids, not for any other reason, so they thought?

GBJ !

two months later...and nothing...

Posted - 09/08/2009 : 9:56:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This a legitimate release. This is the Japanese version of my early years recordings of Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand when Jaco was in the band. I will be releasing the US version within the next month as well.

Stay tuned for a detailed press release on the Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand CD release.

Thank you for your interest.
Bob

Posted - 09/18/2009 : 07:14:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm telling you..........there is a treasure trove of Jaco music, NEVER BEFORE HEARD BY THE PUBLIC, still waiting to be released. I am excited about this next one and its' release here in the good old US of A.

Jaco: You know you've got that tape recorder on Duke Ellington's book!
Interviewer: Which book is that?
Jaco: The only one!

three months later... anything?

Re: three months later... anything?

a "release":

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Jaco-Pastorius-A-Rec/375176

I can't figure out exactly what it is, only that it is from or via Bobby Colomby, yet, as with the Punk Jazz Anthology, the misspelling of names on it is unprofessional and not caring, a shame in general, but in these cases products about Jaco.

It's now four months on the Tommy Strand US release.

The Colomby project looks to be the packaging for a release. It's on the website for a design company. The misspellings would probably be fixed before production.

R, the TS CD and the others that are intended for release, Jaco's music, is/are entitled to be heard, I'd love to pay (rightful royalties) to download!

I'm not sure if typos "would probably be fixed before", who's to say and not a guarantee I believe, otherwise why would they already be offered for viewing on a website. Either way, it's about a release with on the "packaging": "Previously Unreleased Jaco Pastorius Rare & Private Recordings. (Special Edition) · 2009". I like the packaging, also the loose frets, just so unclear as to what it is?

Re: two months later...and nothing...

It's now more than six months since it was announced this would be released 'within the next month'. Does anyone know if it has been released in the US yet?

---------------

stay tuned

This a legitimate release. This is the Japanese version of my early years recordings of Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand when Jaco was in the band. I will be releasing the US version within the next month as well.

Stay tuned for a detailed press release on the Tommy Strand & The Upper Hand CD release.

Bob

Seven (7) months on...

Listening To: birdsong

It's been eight months of waiting on this. Any news?

Listening To: starlings

Ten ½ months and still waiting. Haven't seen any updates on this project or its US release. Same story with 'Live from the Players Club' and 'Woodchuck'. It appears to have reached the point where Jaco's music is no longer released in the US, but rather known bootleg-friendly countries like Japan.

A year later...and nothing...

It's been a year since the statement below. Still awaiting the detailed press release, and the actual music release in the US.

---------------

stay tuned

Bob

Re: A year later...and nothing...

As long as this mis-representation is supported by some within the corp, and ignored by the others, and the above untruth-sayer is also heralded for whatever, I guess it will all remain as stagnant as everything else. Too bad and very sad.

Yes, the situation within the corp. is very sad at the moment :(

14 months and counting...

Re: A year plus...and nothing...

15 months on. Any news?

I guess that we will have to wait a long time before we will hear any of these recordings.
The forum at the official website is down and there are no one from that side that are responding to anything.

Listening To: Good music

Not surprising though, Arne, because the person who UNdeservingly collected those recordings, under the auspices of being "caring", "honest" and a "friend" (the complete opposite is true), saying he was doing it for the family, hence folks who thought they were doing the right thing, such as Ira, Wayne, Rich, etc., were easily manipulated to turn over their tapes, only for him to carry on as if those recordings were his to do with as he pleased, is the same person who brought down the very first forum as well, creating havoc on it in order to bring attention to his first product that had been dragging on for about 10 years and which was about to be released, pretending to be several people arguing on that forum, yet somehow produced, and publicly posted, a "document" that supposedly proved (which it did not) that it was I sabotaging my sons' web site. LOL! Clearly it was a method of self-aggrandizing in order to secure his position of control, it worked, partly, only because he was believed by the majority at JP inc, but sadly to the detriment of now losing those precious recordings, the forums, and now two sites.... who knows who have benefited from Japan having those recordings, certainly not all the heirs. It is all just so crazily unbelievable, wishing it wasn't true, primarily for Jaco's, his legacy's, and his fans' sake.

Now 16 months since the post stating it would be out in a month. Any update on the US release? The Japanese bootleg appears to be readily available online.

17 months. Don't see the US release available anywhere. Chris Jisi wrote a year ago that it's available at jacotheearlyyears.com and cdbaby, but I don't see it at either site.
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/lesson--new/February-2010/107277

The hardest tumble a man can make is to fall over his own bluff. ~Ambrose Bierce
===============================================

In actuality, it's been more like 7 years, R. Perhaps those promised releases were sold to Japan for them to use as they please? I wonder who pocketed the $ ?

"Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 8:13 AM
Subject: Letter from Bob Bobbing

I think it's important to announce at this time that later I will be releasing single CD's featuring "Woodchuck," "Tommy Strand & Upper Hand, "Wayne Cochran & CC Riders," and "The Florida Demo's." All of this stuff will be made available in totality on single releases shortly after the Portrait comes out. So for the Jaco fans who want to hear all the music from those periods, it will be made available."

Listening To: Modern Jazz Quartet

18 months.

Today I wrote Chris Jisi via the article where he stated more than a year ago the following:

"The first two releases, Woodchuck and Tommy Strand & the Upper Hand, have officially arrived [available on jacotheearlyyears.com and cdbaby.com)"

Neither releases were ever available on either site, and at this point doubt they will, hoping otherwise.

Perhaps Jisi can get an answer from that guy who bamboozled him and everyone else.

And what is Yoshio Matsush-i-ta going to do with the releases he had planned on putting out? His projection at http://kairaku-jazz.seesaa.net/archives/20090807-1.html:

⇒ 2009年冬 Winter 2009 ⇒

4.Ira Sullivan Quintet featuring Jaco Pastorius 4.Ira Sullivan Quintet featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2010年 In 2010 ⇒

5.Peter Graves Orchestra featuring Jaco Pastorius 5.Peter Graves Orchestra featuring Jaco Pastorius
⇒ 2011年 In 2011 ⇒

6.Jaco's First Florida Demo's 6.Jaco 's First Florida Demo's
⇒ 2012年 In 2012 ⇒

I don't understand why the four heirs cannot simply make these recordings available via jacopastorius.com, just put them out, it will be good for them, their father's legacy, and for the fans, simple as that, why involve others? None of the others own the materials, Bobbing only recorded a few of them, which he already released in the Early Years CD, most of the other recordings were donated to the heirs in good faith.

What has crippled things to become this tragic a situation is the motto the Big Boy rules with, "divide et impera", which means:

"* breaking up power alliances into smaller chunks that are easier to subdue/manage (insisting there is a feud, then causing it)
* preventing small power groups from linking up and becoming more powerful (pitting everyone against the family of some of the heirs)

Effective use of this technique allows those with limited power (him) to control those (4 heirs) who collectively would have had a lot more influence."

GBJ, his family, and his fans.

Listening To: Live in NY

20 months now. Any updates on these recordings being officially released in the US?

Still possible? Anything is possible? Who owns these now, is the question? Jaco's demos legally and technically belong in the ownership of the four kids, it was Jaco's property they inherited. Granted, the two older ones might have given it to Mr. Big to do with as he pleased, sell perhaps, but it still belonged to the twins as well, and their ownership and opinions were ignored in all of this. Does Yoshio Matsush-i-ta own these now? Who will and can release them in the US? Were they sold for one lump sum, and the money pocketed? All questions with no answers. So, my assumption is that since it has been 20 and more months, and since it was promised by someone who absolutely never gave a hoot unless it benefited him, and perhaps these releases already have, I doubt they will come here anytime soon. But, I would love to be proven wrong!!

Listening To: Herbie and Jaco: 4 AM

The truth always stands the test of time :)

Listening To: WEMU Ann Arbor Michigan stream - heavy bass radio station

21 mos.

Listening To: something

wow, almost 2 years since that statement was made... a mismanaged legacy..so, so, so very sad.

Twenty-two months.

Listening To: mockingbird

Turns out that my suspicions about all these "early years" recordings were correct, they were indeed "given" to Japan for a supposedly "small" fee affecting a few pockets, including one who isn't entitled, yet not all who are rightfully entitled... Clearly that is what it looked like, via logical deduction, but now it is a fact. With that information it became clear that any USA releases are a far-fetched concept at this point and time. No doubt these are the REAL bootlegs.

Deeming the Live in NY CDs bootlegs with "ugly" covers, but which were legally released here in the US with all the heirs having received equally divided more than a quarter of a million dollars, was only done so because the one Bullying Bozo wasn't profiting from it, and some didn't like that all rightful heirs were receiving royalties, equally, which isn't the case with the above Japanese releases, and by the way, most have totally ridiculous and unrelated covers... hahaha.

So R, get ready to post the length of time you, me and anyone else who have been waiting, for many, many more months to come... :P

It's apparent this too is a Japanese bootleg and will probably never see a legal US release.

23 MONTHS

Listening To: the train

Two years later, and nothing...

Listening To: the train

Unbelievable...2 years ago Bobbing stated he was going to give a press release for this one CD that was also going to come out in the USA. NOTHING. He has also stated that single CDs would be coming out using the recordings people like Ira, Wayne Cochran, Peter Graves, Tommy Strand, and others have given him in good faith.

The latest CD out as an import has been deemed "piracy" by Ira Sullivan, it was a recording he had given Bobbing, who had promised him it would be coming out here in the USA with the proper royalties and credits etc.

Instead Bobbing has "sold" them to Japan for his own benefit, and now they are being released as bootlegs. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME.