Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BBC assesses Jaco's recordings

Alyn Shipton and pianist Gwilym Simcock assess the recordings of bassist Jaco Pastorius.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qf7jz/Jazz_Library_Jaco_Pastorius/BBC iPlayer - Jazz Library: Jaco Pastorius

www.bbc.co.uk
Listen to Jazz Library: Jaco Pastorius

Listening To: WR

Re: BBC assesses Jaco's recordings

Thanks Ingrid :)

hello ingrid,great news and i will be giving this bbc thing a listen. i used to play with gwilym a bit at the ISH ... thats international students house which is by great portland street in london . we were in the trio for the jam session , another time we played an exam at trinity college for swedish guitarist gerry haglund . gwilym has got right up there and is doing the big gigs and now i think of him as the cult leader . thats the leader of the white middle class jazz college graduates cult that im never going to belong to thank god . gwilym is however very talented ... its ironic because jaco and electric bass in general in jazz is looked down on in a big way here in london so i will look forward to what g says . i know for a fact that 98 percent of jazzers in london would rather have an ok upright player plodding away than a great electric player . meanwhile the irony is that fans and people that dont play that come to gigs dig eveerything that is good . the bbc thing on jaco by charles shaw murray in 1998 was outstanding and i was listening to a cassette of that the other day . anyway thanks for letting us know . mike .

Listening To: jaco early years

the bbc thing with gwilym is great , i feel a bit bad because its not gwilyms fault what his background is and its not my fault what my background is ... i went to the same sort of college he did and in truth he is much more talented than me . its great to know he is a fan of jaco`s .... i do remember being at a piano with gwil asking him about the chords to steely dans aja , the track called aja and he knew it down to a t !!! and that was ten years ago . meanwhile im being diplomatic and i know for a fact that tonight if i asked to sit in with an electric bass at a jazz jam the ansewer would be no . ok , im going back to hear the other half of this programe .... by the way , my mum came in and thought i was listening to two doctors discussing something on radio 3 . mike .

He had Jaco's age at the time of his passing incorrect, other than that I thought it was quite honorable, and clearly this man is a fan. Nice to hear Jaco discussed in such a format. And the music was so delicious to hear...again.

Listening To: WR

NPR - September 2007
Interviews: Herbie, Pat, Marcus, Jaco

National Public Radio remembers Jaco in 2007,

yes , the bbc gwilym progam on jaco was cool and it was great they played at bit of the paul bley thing . the american npr ? 8 minute feature was also great , and it was really nice to hear herbert and marcus talking about their friend . sorry if i came off a bit negative but in london do you know how many electric bass players there are on the scene ??? none !!! well only laurence cottle , who is amazing . its a shame the scene isnt a bit more warm towards the instrument i love ?? but there you go .... thats life ..... thats life ??? thats sinatra !!!! cheers , mike .

Found out about this one too late. The BBC shows have a pretty short window to listen before they move to their next thing. Though, thanks for linking to the the BBC radio 3 program. I now get to listen to the Charlie Parker/ Bebop show they currently
have this week.

-Andy

Listening To: Charlie Parker

Perfect then, Andy! And you're welcome!

Just listened to that NPR interview and I can only agree with what Marcus said at the end! I doesn't matter how many times I listen to him playing...it always touched me the same way! Wow!

And, though I'm blown away it still always makes me wanna pick up my bass and play, it's amazing! Thank you forever Jaco for giving me that joy!