Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
REST IN PEACE

Jaco had tremendous admiration/adoration/respect for Larry. This is a most beautiful arrangement of Continuum Larry did for Jaco's funeral.

Larry sat at our kitchen counter into the early morning writing out all the charts for the WOM recordings.

GBL

Re: REST IN PEACE

Yes, it's very beautiful, I haven't heard it before! As I understand it was performed at the funeral too, and that must have been very touching. Was it by the same musicians as on this recording?

During the funeral there were others who are not on this recording. It was quite powerful at that time, especially with the acoustics inside a church.

http://oregonmusicnews.com/blog/2010/05/25/larry-warrilow-longtime-jaco-pastorius-collaborator-dead-at-64/

Larry Warrilow, a prominent member of the South Florida music scene, died peacefully, at home on Tuesday, May 18. He was 64 years old. Larry’s music career began in the 1960’s while at Florida State University. He gained notoriety with The Peter Graves Orchestra as a guitarist and arranger at Joe Namath’s legendary night club, Bachelors III, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The band had a 5-year run, that included notable musicians – Pat Metheny, Mark Colby, Danny Gottlieb, Mark Egan, Dan & Neal Bonsanti, Whit Sidener, Jerry Coker and Ron Tooley. It was the addition of bassist Jaco Pastorius, pianist Alex Darqui, and drummer Bobby Economou that made a lasting impact. Larry’s collaborations with Jaco, on countless musical projects, gradually developed into a relationship not unlike that of Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn where it was often difficult to tell where one began and the other left off.

Larry was born on June 24, 1945 in Fort Lauderdale to David & Mildred Warrilow, and loved by his step-mother Louise Warrilow. Larry is survived by his brothers Steve, Dave, John, sister Sue, and ex-wife Helen Stephens.

Over the years, Larry became an accomplished arranger, orchestrator and copyist, working with numerous “pop” stars, including the Bee Gees, Barbra Streisand, and Ziggy Marley just to name a few. As a copyist his penmanship is on display at the Rock and Roll hall of fame for the Bee Gee’s “Saturday Night Fever” recordings. In 1984, Larry wrote incidental music for the first episode of Miami Vice. Also in the 80’s, he toured with Grammy award winner Bob James as his sound engineer. In 2003 and 2006 Larry paid tribute to his dear friend, Jaco, with numerous arrangements on two highly acclaimed Jaco Pastorius Big Band recordings for Heads Up, “Word Of Mouth Revisited” and “The Word Is Out”. Larry’s passing has impacted not only the South Florida music scene but nationally as well.

Randy Brecker: “Very sorry to hear that-those were some amazing charts. He’s a part of jazz history now-we all know how great those charts are, they sound like they were written yesterday.”

Mark Egan: “So sorry to get the bad news about Larry. What a great loss. Nicest of cats.”

Peter Erskine: “Terrible news! Odd timing to hear this as I am just leaving the hotel here in Budapest for a concert of Jaco’s music at the Béla Bartók Hall in the Palace of Fine Arts… will dedicate this evening’s performance to the memories of Jaco and Larry.”

Randy Bernsen: “For 35 years I would know him as a friend and musical mentor extraordinaire. If I had a nickel for every note, musical idea, arrangement consideration and encouraging words that that man gave… I’d be taking up residence at the Taj Mahal.”

Ed Calle: “Oh my God no. I am crushed. He was a great friend and one of my heroes. His knowledge of music was as inspiring as it was liberating.”

Peter Graves: “It’s a huge loss for me personally; it’s still hard to breathe. We have been close friends and colleagues for well over 50 years; having grown up on the same street in Miami. He has worked with me on virtually every music project I’ve been involved in during my career. When Jaco Pastorius joined my band in the early 70’s, Larry and Jaco formed a bond that will last forever in the jazz world with the music they left behind. I have often referred to that bond as being similar to the Duke Ellington – Billy Strayhorn collaboration. He’ll be missed on so many levels. RIP Brother Larry.”

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/145453674

By Elinor J. Brecher, The Miami Herald
May 27--Larry Warrilow, a multitalented Miami musician and arranger who was the groundbreaking electric bassist Jaco Pastorius's creative soul mate, shared in a Barbra Streisand gold record, and toured worldwide as a sound engineer, died of an apparent heart attack on May 18.

Friends found him at his South Miami condo two days later, said Steve Warrilow, one of three siblings. Warrilow, who had undergone cardiac surgery several years ago, was 64.

Born Lawrence David Warrilow on June 24, 1945 in Fort Lauderdale, the Miami Norland High School graduate always loved music, especially classical. But he planned a career in the aerospace industry.

Brother Steve said that as a youngster, Larry would "get up at 5:30 in the morning and take [televised] Sunrise Semester college physics courses."

He was accepted to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis "but ended up color-blind, so the Navy wouldn't take him," said his sister-in-law, Jane Warrilow.

He went to Florida State University and was one semester shy of a physics degree when his Vietnam draft notice arrived.

He served in the Air Force in Germany.

Warrilow "got the music bug" playing in rock bands at FSU, said Peter Graves, who led his childhood friend in local bands.

Back in Carol City after the service in the late '60s, Warrilow linked up with Graves in lounge bands called Gangplank and Nantucket Sound.

"He could pick any instrument and play it," his sister-in-law said: "bass guitar, keyboard, any string instrument. . . He had the mind of a genius."

For five years, the Peter Graves Orchestra was "the house band at [Joe Namath's] Bachelors III" in Fort Lauderdale, Graves recalled, backing big names like Brenda Lee, Mel Torme, the Supremes, Frankie Valli, the Temptations and Nancy Wilson.

As an arranger, Warrilow was "literally self-taught," said Graves, who gave him pointers, then watched him "beat me by a mile."

After Pastorius joined the Bachelors III band, "he and Larry formed a very special bond," Graves said. The two would stay up nights "sitting on the floor in the apartment in Hollywood, sheet music scattered all over the place, going at [arrangements] hour after hour."

Since 2004, Warrilow and Graves had been collaborating on Jaco Pastorius Big Band tribute albums. "The Jaco project was huge in both of our lives," Graves said.

The Grammy-nominated Pastorius died in 1987 after being beaten at a Wilton Manors club.

A multiple trumpet/trombone/saxophone combo played Warrilow's arrangement of Pastorius's signature song Continuum at Pastorius's funeral.

Among his professional credits: strings arranger on Guilty Pleasures, with Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees, which went gold in 2005. Warrilow worked with Gibb at Criteria Recording Studios in North Miami Beach, while Streisand recorded the remake of an earlier album in California.

A sought-after musical copyist in the pre-computer age, Warrilow also worked with Ziggy Marley, wrote incidental music for the first episode of Miami Vice, and engineered sound at music festivals and for jazz musician Bob James.

"As a copyist, his penmanship is on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the Bee Gees' Saturday Night Fever recordings," according to Graves.

When he wasn't working, Warrilow spent some of his spare time playing online golf against opponents all over the world.

In an interview on the Links Country Club site, he explained that he "started out playing pop music as a guitarist, but was lucky enough to have run with some talented and informed jazz players from the start. . ."

He said that as an arranger, his inspirations included Oliver Nelson, Billy Byers, Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn and Gil Evans.

He said he enjoyed listening to chamber music and reading history and had "a certain guilty pleasure gobbling up mysteries."

In addition to brother Steve, of Dresden, Tenn., Warrilow is survived by stepmother Louise Warrilow of San Antonio, Texas; brothers Dave, of Hawthorne, Fla., and John, of Houston; and sister Sue Rifenburg of Lawrenceville, Ga.

A memorial service is planned.

Remembering Larry Warrilow - A reminder that there will be a memorial service for beloved musician/composer/arranger Larry Warrilow at Jaco Pastorius park community center in Ft. Lauderdale, Thursday June 24 from 6-7 PM.
There will be a saxophone octet consisting of some of Florida's best players playing Larry's arrangement of Jaco's "Continuum."

Directions to Jaco Park:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode&q=4000+Dixie+Highway%2C+Oakland+Park%2C+FL&sll=37.0625%2C-95.677068&sspn=32.885543%2C55.722656&ie=UTF8&hq&hnear=4000+N+Dixie+Hwy%2C+Oakland+Park%2C+Broward%2C+Florida+33334&ll=26.171924%2C-80.14183&spn=0.036359%2C0.054417&z=14