Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Michel Colombier and Jaco

Hi friends,

Wow, it's been quite some time...hope you all are alright.

Lately I have been re-enjoying the Michel Colombier album with Jaco on it. I ploughed through the French text in the accompanying booklet, and it mentions several concerts in LA and NY promoting this album, with the same line up as on the album, excluding the London Philharmonic. I don't recall any of these gigs were ever mentioned anywhere, maybe Ingrid or someone can shed some light on this?

Thanks!

All the best from Curacao,

JJ

Re: Michel Colombier and Jaco

Hallo JJ! Nice to see you here on the old stomping grounds where we kind of met! :)

I was in the studio when some of the tunes were recorded, but I do not remember any gigs with Michel Colombier, not in LA, nor in NY, but this doesn't mean it didn't happen, sorry, not very helpful. Does it mention the year?

Hi Ingrid!

Did you hear me on the radio yesterday? I'm replacing the host of a Jazz radio show two times, this week and next week. It's a two hour show, the main theme yesterday was Jazz from the Seventies, so lots of Jaco :-)

Colombier: the booklet says 'the same year', so 1979. I was wondering: how did these recording come about? Several recording studios are mentioned in the booklet, including Criteria. Did Jaco play the bass part over there or was the entire group in the same studio?

Hope you're doing great Ingrid!

JJ

That's so great, Jeroen, I don't want to miss the shows this week, what days and what times? I wish I had paid attention that you were doing this, I would have passed it on as well. It's your thing, Jeroen, I love it! Really sorry I missed the Jaco segments, would have been fun to have heard your comments as well. :)

I wish I had more info for you, my only one specific memory about that record was when he recorded Dreamland, which was Jaco by himself laying down a track over existing ones, ran through it one time, then said "ready", and recorded, one take, beautiful.

All the best!

Here's a link to that tune of Dreamland. ........ It's been years. ..... Thanks for the reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXz7FUi4-I

Listening To: A change of seasons

Re: Flora Purim and Jaco

This is also in the same vein as Dreamland.
The Hope with Flora Purim. Both fantastic tunes but The Hope just kills me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBly1K1ifk

Listening To: The Hope

THANK YOU!!! I had not heard this video, absolutely loving it, Jaco's "voice" matches so well with a female vocalist..very nice, Harry.

Well I'm really glad that you have heard this Ingrid. It's just magnificent. Whenever I listen to it I have to play several times because I can't get enough.

Hoi Jeroen en Ingrid,

Alles ok met jullie?

Talking about Michel Colombier, one of my favourite Colombier tracks is Sunday, a funky fusion song with a brilliant Jaco. A foretaste of the 1980 Hancock track '4 AM', one year later!

Groeten,
Philippe

Listening To: 'Sunday' Michel Colombier

Hello Philippe!! Good to hear from you, all's well here, Jeroen and I stay in touch via FB, a cyber addiction..haha

As you might already have seen before, Julius did his first try using flash in 2000 using "Sunday" for this site:

http://www.jacop.net/momsintro2.swf

LOVE this tune too!!!

Hi Ingrid,

Re the above, you mentioned something about fb to me in the past and I couldn't find anything except your personal page. Would I have to send a friend request there?? If so, please let me know whether that's okay (and it's fine if it's not, really, I imagine you get a billion requests every day!).

Listening To: In a Sentimental Mood - Coltrane and Ellingotn

Feel free to send request, Heleen, I tried to find you, but no success. http://www.facebook.com/ingrid.pastorius

Listening To: John and Mary