Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Letter To Jaco

To Ingrid Pastorius, the pastorius family Julius, Felix, John and Mary, and to every jaco fan out there, hello.
my name is Eliyahu Cohen im 22 years old and i live in israel, ive been wanting to write this for many years, i just wanst able to find the words i guess.
ever since i heard and got to know Jaco (sadly not personally, but in the music sense) my life has changed upside down, words will not be able to describe what this wonderful human being has done for me, his music, his passion, his approach to life and of course he was, and still is, my greatest inspiration.
for the 6 years i am familliar with Jaco he has become for me more than my favorite musician, for me he has become someone i can drive inspiration from, someone who i can relate to in tough time (there was no way that i would go through my service in the army without him) someone i can even talk to (hoping his listening sometimes) and in all of this i see him as sort of a father figure in my life, a mentor and a guide in my musical life and life in general, and i didnt even meet him, so what im trying to say is that for me he did something the goes beyond just playing music, he changed my life, and for that i would just like to say: Thank You, to you the dear Pastorius family i owe a debt which i can never repay, for me, jaco will always be alive through my fingers on the bass, through the words from my mouth, and through my heart and soul and i promise you this he will never be forgotten as long as im stepping and breathing on this earth.
so to sum it up i would like to just Thank You again, and have a great day.

Sincerely Yours,
Eliyahu.

Re: A Letter To Jaco

Greetings Eliyahu,

What a wonderfully written letter, I can only assume Jaco would be happy knowing someone like you continues to be inspired by him. Thank you very much for writing a letter with feelings many can relate to. One such person/bassist/fan living in Israel as well is Edmond Gilmore.

Again, many thanks for your kind words, Eliyahu.

All the Best to You,
Ingrid

Re: A Letter To Jaco

Eli Cohen
To Ingrid Pastorius, the pastorius family Julius, Felix, John and Mary, and to every jaco fan out there, hello.
my name is Eliyahu Cohen im 22 years old and i live in israel, ive been wanting to write this for many years, i just wanst able to find the words i guess.
ever since i heard and got to know Jaco (sadly not personally, but in the music sense) my life has changed upside down, words will not be able to describe what this wonderful human being has done for me, his music, his passion, his approach to life and of course he was, and still is, my greatest inspiration.
for the 6 years i am familliar with Jaco he has become for me more than my favorite musician, for me he has become someone i can drive inspiration from, someone who i can relate to in tough time (there was no way that i would go through my service in the army without him) someone i can even talk to (hoping his listening sometimes) and in all of this i see him as sort of a father figure in my life, a mentor and a guide in my musical life and life in general, and i didnt even meet him, so what im trying to say is that for me he did something the goes beyond just playing music, he changed my life, and for that i would just like to say: Thank You, to you the dear Pastorius family i owe a debt which i can never repay, for me, jaco will always be alive through my fingers on the bass, through the words from my mouth, and through my heart and soul and i promise you this he will never be forgotten as long as im stepping and breathing on this earth.
so to sum it up i would like to just Thank You again, and have a great day.

Sincerely Yours,
Eliyahu.

Thanks for writing this heartfelt and wonderful text, Eli. It's almost uncanny how similar my own experiences with Jaco's music are to the ones you describe. You absolutely nail it when you say that Jaco's music is the perfect emotional therapy, he was so diverse as a musician that he has something for every occasion. In times when I've felt no hope and my mood shifts constantly between melancholy, confusion and frustration, nothing calms me like "Portrait Of Tracy", "Continuum", "Las Olas", "John And Mary", "Three Views Of A Secret", "Hejira", "Bright Size Life" "History" etc.
Sometimes I feel that Jaco's soul is talking to me through his music. And though I listen to countless other artists, no one does it quite the same way.

What can I say, reading your post really touched me. It is good to be reminded that there are people out there who treasure Jaco's music just as much as I do, because given the bombardment of what I like to call plastic music in society it is easy to forget that there are still fans of genuine music in this world.

Thanks again, Eli. Have a great weekend :)