Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sightseeing

hello ingrid , where is that version of sightseeing from ? the one from your september post .its exellent and makes me wonder what has happened to the jazz scene ? are electric instruments that bad ? nobody seems to play them in jazz anymore and i remember in the 80`s when bands like weather report [even after jaco left] and the miles davis band were brining out new sounding music every year .... then the whole scene went into acoustic revision which was great but ... im sounding like an old man moaning . the weather report albums with victor bailey were fantastic . domino theory , sporting life and this is this and the first one procession were all different with fresh sounds .... maybe that era passed and this is this . anyway , thanks again for posting the sightseeing track .... does anyone know the chords or is it time no changes ? mike .

Listening To: hendrix

Re: sightseeing

Hi Mike!
I don't have information on the recording, sorry, but I too miss that type of musical expression, seems to me there is still so much more left to explore in that jazz arena...just need the musicians.. :o) An era is made by those who are in it. Given that popularity of genres is not in balance, the lack of something is therefore an opportunity for those who have the chutzpah to create it themselves. :) And btw electric instruments are not "that bad", it's what one does with them..! ^_^

For me music is all about feeling and emotion, not about instruments.

Listening To: Good music

1000%, Arne!

yes , i agree with that . emotion and saying something ... creating a mood . i saw victor bailey live yesterday at bass day uk in manchester and i asked him `has the era of the classic album past ??` he seemed to think so a bit ... or quite a lot ... he was going on about how weather report had a big budget where him and omar hakim would be staying in a hotel in california and rehearsing everyday with joe zawinul and then wayne shorter would get into it and then they would go to the sound castle or another top of the range studio and record for 3 weeks . plus all the live gigs they did developing the music . you sadly dont have jazz groups doing it like that anymore ... are there any jazz groups as big as weather report were now ? with rock star budgets ? im moaning again ... so was victor ... we are getting older and i think victor like me is stuck in the 1970`s ... i liked it then[in the 7o`s] and still like the 70`s. but yes your right , its all about an emotion in the music . thanks , mike .

Listening To: hendrix

The only one I can think of is Pat Metheny Group.

There are not any artist in jazz or instrumental music that have the position that Weather Report was in in the 70's and the 80's

Listening To: Good music