Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jacopastorius.com

The discussion forum has been removed from www.jacopastorius.com.
This was the only thing that kept the site alive.

Listening To: Good music

Re: jacopastorius.com

Yes, it was, Arne, and it is too bad, the potential for a place to discuss Jaco was/is phenomenal, there are quite a few who feel same as Eli's post described. But its closing is not completely surprising, for me it wasn't a warm and welcoming place, others might not have minded the building stagnation that was created due to negativity and falsehoods. It had become similar to the prior official forum which also closed, perhaps they need to vote out the same old moderator/administrator. :) I'm curious, was there a warning posted before it closed, or perhaps an email/newsletter sent?

I have a seen that there have been some negative activity on the jacopastorius.com.
I don't know what the reason is and I don't want to know.
The only reason I was on the forum, was to meet people and talk about music, bass, life in general and Jaco Pastorius.
I have contact by email with some of the people I met there, and that is people I would not have come in contact with without the forum.
A lot of good stories and many nice people.

Who has been the administrator of that site?
Anyway, we still have this site to communicate with.

Yes, that is a sad shame, all those stories and wonderful, kind comments by fans etc. are what truly matters, in my own experience meeting Jaco fans, they have all been and continue to be kind, cool, and respectful people, some are also very talented. Though there are exceptions, witnessed on the now closed official forum, but basically they weren't fans anyway, nor friends of Jaco's.

Thank you for considering this a place to come to, Arne, especially since I have been painted as such a horrible individual by the other forum's moderator/administrator (same person) and family members, I believe the title that was given me was "dangerous, well-oiled propaganda machine and grifter with an agenda, a virus, who takes advantage of the last name, and having Jaco's sons"... OY!!! Yes, I must laugh about this...it was never worthy of defending, though I appreciate very much those who came to my defense by subjecting themselves to that forum's nastiness. Personally I continue to prescribe to "the truth doesn't need a defender". :)

Though I have read your appreciation of the person who I believe and know is the source of all the negativity and falseness that caused the "soap opera" and decline of the site and both forums, you have always maintained that you were on that forum "for Jaco, his music and meeting other fans"... which is similar to my motto for this site, for Jaco, his music, friends, fans, and family, yet it's been under scrutiny and an attempt to be closed down by same person you have thanked. :) What a twisted web we live..ha ha

Yes, it is a twisted web we live.
I have given credit to B.B for the Jaco Early Years recordings, but I live in Norway, have never met him and dont know anything about how he is as a person.
I think the early years recordings are a goldmine and gives a fantastic musical picture of one of the greatest musican born in the 20th century.

I just think it is sad that the original Jaco website has gone down.
As it is right now, the site is totaly dead.

Yes, like the book with its inaccuracies, the recordings you referenced, with all that it is lacking from a genuine perspective, have an important bearing on Jaco's legacy. Also, the credit for those recordings most definitely goes to those who recorded them, too bad not all got mentioned in the release, or 80 page booklet that has one chapter of wasted space...I might be incorrect, but were all the musicians in the CC Riders mentioned in the booklet? If not, that is a shame, and heartless, if they are listed, I apologize for my lacking observation.

I believe there is hope for the site, so don't give up and despair, Arne, it simply needs a potent injection of warmth, love, honesty, justice and vision, but that won't happen if same elements, attitudes, manipulations and agendas of the previously attempted official sites continue to be involved. BTW It isn't the original Jaco website, but it is the official one, and it could/should beam of openness and hospitality.

Since you are from Norway, and a diehard Jaco fan, you must know "Olso", who shares your sentiments. :)

And to get off topic, I read somewhere that you own an acoustic bass made from a section of the trunk of a tree which was hollowed out, almost looking like a giant banjo, is that correct? It must be awesome!

I agree with you.
The thing that happens now does no good for Jaco's legacy, and isn't that the reason the website was made?

I have never met "Oslo" in person, but have communicated on the internett and he is a really nice person.

Yes, I have a very special bass that is called Taos Drumbass.
Ned Steinberger made the neck and did set up the bass, so the bass is a Ned Steinberger special projekt.
The body is made in New Mexico by some Idians that are making drums that the medicine men use in different sermonies.

I did send him an email about the bass, he said that this was something that he had made just one time for Tony Levin.
When I told him about myself, he changed his mind and and made one for me too.
He did send me a long letter were he said that the musicians he met most of the time was involved in the music industry and did not burn for or care so much for music.
He said that he was glad there still was someone out there that really did care for and lived for music
I guess there are made just a couple of this rare basses.
I call it the "Flinstone bass".
It has a very warm and fat sound

The last six months I have been playing a lot in a band called "Myrra" that is lead by a 25 year old girl that compose all the music, sings and play piano and guitar
I am going to use the "Flintstone bass" with this band on a gig in a few weeks on a club that has special evning called "Naked Wedensday"
Of course we are going to have clothes on... ha ha, but the music is totally acoustic.
No microphones, PA.system or amps. Just totally naked music.

By the way, It is good to see your sons are musicians and I aslo think they are fantastic musicians.
They are really taking care of their father's legacy

One would think that is the reason to have created the website, sadly too much energy has been spent from the onset, and is being spent on proving to be "right" (others "wrong"), rather than spending it on being creative, inspiring, and productive.

Jaco's site will be a beautiful vibrant place once it embraces others' love for, and honoring of, Jaco. It takes all and everyone to make forward movement, but of course Jaco himself deserves all recognition for creating his legacy himself, that's where the beauty is. No one "single-handedly".

I would love to hear what the Flintstone sounds like, Arne, and Naked Wednesday sounds like a hoot! I WISH there were more acoustic bands, it would make certain events so much more enjoyable for me, if you go for the music mainly and simple chillin'...know what I mean..

Yes, though Julius and Felix are not doing it for their father's legacy, they do handle it with care (thank you) :), they have it in their hearts to play music, and do it well indeed, I believe their father smiles down at them, yet sole kudos to Felix and Julius for being completely self-taught. There are no comparisons to be made between father and sons. <3