Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
aftershave

hello ingrid , i was just looking at the relics page and saw the aftershave from saville rowe england . in 1985 i used to work in saville rowe as a trainee tailor at a place called anderson and sheperd and we made suits for prince charles , michael caine , norman granz , i remember there being suits hanging up for the MJQ but i never met them .. i used to take norman granz`s suits out to his roles royce . every lunchtime i would get out of there and go round the record shops of soho and vinyl lp`s were 1 pound 50 pence second hand in good nick !!! i remember getting ron carters pick em and i used to hunt for anything with eric gale on ... STUFF were a great great band and i payed 15 pounds at the time for a jap import of stuff live in new york .every friday i would go to ronnie scotts and saw mcoy tyner , lou donaldson , freddie hubbard , chico freeman , george coleman ... all those and more in 85 . i now must look for that aftershave , i dont know if that shops there anymore but i will look up crabtree online . did you shop there with jaco ? tommy nutters shop was across the street and he made the suit herbie hancock wears on the sunlight lp which has that outstanding track with jaco and tony williams called GOOD QUESTION . cheers , mike .

Listening To: double fantasy remastered

Re: aftershave

talking of the MJQ , i remember meeting PERCY HEATH at ronnie scotts and he said he loved jaco`s work with weather report and jaco told percy that he used to get his mum to wake him up to listen to mjq broadcasts . i didnt get how old jaco would have been but maybe it was in the late 50`s ? my mum is also an mjq fan and me and mum saw them in concert in the 80`s !! percy signed my mums double album of mjq . looks like that company still make aftershave but not sure about the jamaica brand ....

Hello Mike! Been listening to Modern Jazz Quartet all morning, thanks to you, it's been a while.

Sounds like you've had some fun experiences as a trainee tailor, are you still in that field as well? What an art!

We never shopped at Crabtree, should have, because Jaco had a difficult time finding this aftershave, he said it reminded him of his father's armpits from when he was young. haha

But we use to go to Ronnie Scott's every time we were in town, a mecca of great musicians it housed.

Listening To: Modern Jazz Quartet

no,i didnt last in the tailor shop but its a great thing i left because alexander maqueen took my job and became a world wide force in fashion while i became a skint jazz bass player... i wouldnt change a thing and i was happy having enough money to see jazz at ronnie scotts every week and bought my first upright in 85 while i also had a squire sunburst jazz bass[62 reisue]and what else would i need? i love ron carter , jaco and stanley clarke and ive been a broke professional bassist since 1992 and love it.the tailor shop time was funny though , i remember norman granz talking about his dogs ... dobermans ? norman wisdom walking down the street and walking into ronnie scotts one lunchtime and hearing lou donaldson rehearse his band , hearing COMFIRMATION and realizing that this was the most important music on gods earth .. for me. i also remember taking suits in bundles to be sewn together to an old italian dude who had a workshop in soho and having to go up a floor past some seriously glamourous hookers ... what happened to them ? hope they did well in life. it was in 84 that i read the interveiw with jaco by bill milkowski in guitar player and i was totally captivated and realised that i would like to be a bassist and sold a nice jap les paul copy to get the jazz bass . glad i did .... i love bass !! that was a great cover story and i still have the magazine. the 80`s was a great time for jazz in retrospect,horace silvers band was another yearly regular at ronnie scotts and then later in 89 chico freemans group with DELMAR BROWN ... i wanted to ask him about jaco but felt i better had not ... another time i went backstage with my friend peter washington , bassist supremo and met the brecker bros , don alias and peter erskine but i didnt ask about jaco ... sometimes even i keep quite about some things and respect peoples space . i should take heed of that quote . cheers , mike . ps , glad you have been digging the MJQ today ingrid , pure class is the only way i can describe their sound .