Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LIVE in NEW YORK

Listening To: Live in NY

Re: LIVE in NEW YORK

Hi Ingrid,
I've heard these before but its just magnificent to hear them again.
I love them all but History is phenomenal. To hear Jaco sing is a huge bonus. I can't help thinking what Jaco would have done had he not been killed.......
How good are his solos, and the band is right in the jazz pocket. In another post you speak of debunking the myth that Jaco's playing deteriorated in his later years, well it is a myth and a false one at that. Here is the proof.
Think about it, despite his mental illness he managed to get amongst it and do what jazz musicians should do, play, play and play some more.

Anyway, where is my bass?

Listening To: Jaco History Live in NY

By the way, love the Jaco pic, I printed it off and put it up on the wall in my rehearsal room. Just so I can look up and say g'day (in an Australian accent of course).

As Jaco used to say: You Dig?

Listening To: Jaco History Live in NY

I totally dig, Harry, both your posts. Hope you found your bass! :))

Listening To: Herbie and Jaco: 4 AM

I have a comment about Jaco's playing in Dania. I always thought that there were some similarities between Jaco's playing and the playing of Ron Carter. In Dania you can hear Jaco swing when he walks and those little rhythm drops that he does. This is what Ron Carter does. So I think that Jaco managed to bring to the electric bass what Ron Carter had been doing for years. That amazing double bass swing sound with exquisite rhythmic variations. I think this is not so easy to do on electric bass. Jaco never misses a beat or lets the swing intensity fall, except when he stops of course. I know Jaco acknowledged Ron Carter as an influence on his playing.
By the the way Ron Carter is playing in Sydney this Sunday night and I really looking forward to it.

Listening To: Dania

How awesome, Harry!!

Listening To: The Hope