Return to Website

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

....where hearts, minds, souls meet and wonder...

Jaco's Fret-Less Hang!

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jaco site

Hello- as far as I know there was no warning message about the forums closing on the Jaco site. I visited the forum for around 5 years or so. IMO it started to go down hill once BB got on there. Not that it was anything against him-- it just started its decline at that time. I did a painting of Jaco that is displayed on the fan art section of that site. I haven't been over there to see if it's still there. I had the opportunity to talk to Jaco once as he was walking away from the strip/ beach area with his bass in hand. He was nice to me. I really didn't know who he was at the time. I just told him he had a nice bass. We chatted for a minute and he let me check out the bass. I couldn't play it- it was fretless. Anyway I still think about that from time to time and I still enjoy Jacos music. Have a great day and Thanks.

Re: Jaco site

I agree with you.
The Jaco site is totaly dead in my opinion and I don't know why it should be like this.
Anyway, life goes on.

Listening To: good music

I remember you posting on JP.com's forum, Fletch, also saw your artwork, I just looked, but couldn't find it, I don't fully get that site's navigation, always feels like I am missing something, somewhere. Your observation of the start of the decline is on the money, in my opinion.

Glad you experienced Jaco, Fletch, even for a brief moment, there are many who wish they had met him.

Arnepe, no one I know understands why JP.com is the way it is, personally I think it is because it feels disjointed, especially emotionally, and of course to me directly I always felt a lot of animosity, uncomfortable place, kind of like a dictatorship. The administrator/controller was obsessed with blaming and trying to close down this Jaco Cybernest tribute site rather than spending energy elsewhere, there were a lot of things "promised", yet took time to hire an expensive law firm to send me a letter to close down the site...what a waste of precious time, energy, and money, well, the kids money....let alone lack of honoring Jaco and his fans.

But, as you say, life goes on! Jaco is all over the Internet! GBJ

Listening To: Jack Pastorius

The thing is that when they closed the forum over there alot of people have lost contact with others they posted with for many years. Maybe they could have sent an email or something-- but whatever. It's nice to talk over here. All is not lost and there are things to find!!!! I've seen alot of cool video for the first time over here. I like it!!!

Of course they did it in a way they shouldn't have, but it doesn't compare to other things they've done, and that included the way the forum was run, negative and full of false and condescending comments, especially in light of Jaco's legacy...I think that the way they did it is exactly fitting to what it has always been, un-gracious and un-kind.

I understand you missing it, there were many friendships formed, and now the feeling of sharing and comraderie has been lost. Regardless of the many posts that should have never been there, I do feel it had a host of positive statements, and good will as well. Really too bad.

Yet, what a relief to not have to read the bullying, those ugly insinuations, degrading of Jaco, his friends, and some of his kids, and then also the constant promises, of which NONE have come true.

Listening To: Jack Pastorius

I sensed a superiority thing. There was kind of a divide. I'm sure that turned alot of people off. There was a new clique all of a sudden and then maybe about a year or so and then done.
Too bad. But hey- this place is cool.

I miss parts of the jp.com message boards as well. There were some bumps, but it had a bit of a community feel until the ugliness took over. Soon it became the Authority Bob show in every way, and he seemed to get off on the antagonistic long winded wars of words, whenever the "stellar producer who rubs elbows with great musicians" persona felt threatened in the slightest way. I was attacked for suggesting getting a thread topic back to Jaco! It really damaged the positivity that the site could have been, message board and other pages. Now it appears he's dropped off the map to become a bootlegger, off to Japan for easy releases of several discs without the headaches and red tape of a USA release. Kind of impossible to do that and also be the "Jaco's best interest" guy running an official Jaco site. I speculate that he had a choice to make, and he made it. I could be off the mark, but that's sure the impression left for this Jaco fan.

There should never have been any bumps, why? It's a forum for fans to visit and share. Just too bad it was used as a platform for self aggrandizing, validation, and empty promises merely for admiration. And I can't blame visitors for feeling convinced that the longwinded source was the "gateway to Jaco's universe", a self-proclaimed position cleverly invented and insinuated via a fueled and raging (non-existing) feud. Even if those false accusations were to be true, no reason to have poisoned the community forum, unless of course it was merely an agenda to keep the focus as such in order to maintain superiority, a reason to be in charge. It was never about Jaco, as your experience illustrates, it was about who was "single-handedly doing all and everything"...and nothing....as I see it, it was a single-handed attempt to control and take away the focus off of Jaco and bring to the self, basically single-handedly destroying a Jaco website, the official one that belongs to his children.

The issue of the bootlegs is a painful one, not only because they are true Jaco gems we all would enjoy hearing, but also because there once were releases out there that could have filled Jaco's bins in the US, which are now empty, because those releases were falsely deemed bootlegs by two of the heirs after more than a quarter of a million dollars was given to all four. Ironically the producer of those "bootlegs" would often receive a call asking for any available money prior to distribution. But because those CDs were not controlled by the "stellar producer", who "would have done it so much better" (haha), they too were attacked. No way was there any "best interest" on behalf of Jaco, quite the opposite.

Thank you for sharing your feelings DLH, especially given this uncomfortable issue, as well is it a sobering realization as it is for many others.

So, with that said, I would like to bring the focus back to Jaco! :)

Listening To: Jaco

I too was a contributor to the "Jaco Site" and it all ended without notice. There wasn't much happening except a few diehards would communicate with each other mainly about their love of Jaco.
Anyway it's great to come over to your site Ingrid and see some of the diehards are here!
Looking forward to some future conversations.
Regards
Harry

Great Harry, thank you, I am very sorry about how things went down on the kids' forum, they and you all were bamboozeled. I welcome your thoughts, questions, and opinions, IMO discussing Jaco, music, and anything remotely related is worthy to the cause as a whole, and that includes each individual and their lives. :)

Listening To: Jaco