Return to Website

Count Dante Virtual Library Forum

The library where chatting is encouraged.

Enjoy yourself!

Forum: Dante Virtual Museum & Library Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
My Lawyers took on Harry Potter's Momma and here is the result.

My attorney, Tony Falzone, and Lawrence Lessig are no joke folks. They just drove their case with Rowling to a standstill. She is the author of the books but clearly needed a lesson in fair use law. It is not about stealing, it is about transformation and enhancement of an existing intellectual property. It bears no harm or threat, is not in competition.

Harry Potter lawsuit
NY judge urges settlement in lawsuit over Harry Potter guide
j.k. rowling

Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 1:47 p.m.

(AP) -- NEW YORK - A judge says J.K. Rowling and a Michigan publisher who wants to release an unauthorized lexicon to her Harry Potter novels should try to settle the copyright dispute out of court.

U.S. District Judge Robert Patterson Junior says today the copyright infringement case was a legal close call -- involving unresolved areas of American law and was almost certain to end in years of appeals. Patterson's remarks came on the third day of the trial in Manhattan federal court.

The judge made a similar suggestion at the close of yesterday's court session. The lawyers for both sides have settled some sections of the suit, but appear to be resolved to continue the litigation.

Lawyers for Rowling and Warner Brothers rested their case this morning. The defendant is Muskegon based RDR Books.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
http://www.nbc25online.com/news/news...aspx?id=122182

- A federal court in New York on Monday heard arguments from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, who along with Warner Bros. (NYSE: TWX) has filed suit to prevent the publication of a reference guide to the series, claiming its creator has stolen her work. The defendant, RDR Books, argued that its print version of "The Harry Potter Lexicon," based on school librarian and Harry Potter fan Steven Vander Ark's Web resource of the same name, is a legal "fair use" or Rowling's works.

RDR is represented by the Fair Use Project of Stanford Law School's Center for Internet and Society.
http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/04...reference-book
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/...utting_the.php

Re: My Lawyers took on Harry Potter's Momma and here is the result.

Floyd,

This is exactly why William should have retained an attorney. You do not go into federal court "pro se". Could it be that no attorney's would take his case??? I have read the latest information on Justia and in my opinion he is traveling down a dangerous path.

Mike S

Re: My Lawyers took on Harry Potter's Momma and here is the result.

I wonder if he is even reading the court paperwork and understands what relief we are asking the judge for.

Floyd

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com