Return to Website

Don Hayward's Detroit Diesel 2 Stroke Engine Forum

Welcome to this forum, Feel free to ask for information or leave articles of help for other people interested in DD 2 Stroke's & GM 8.2L/GM 6.2L.. I Have Service Manuals for Inline71 - V71 - 53 Series - GM6.2l.. Also Parts Books 53-71-92-110.. Please use REFRESH after posts.. You don't have to remain ANON, if i post from an email etc.,I will use this to start with for your identity protection, then you can change if you wish.. Click on first post of subject to view all not last one, or switch Styles..

Free Java Chat from Bravenet Free Java Chat from Bravenet     

Forum: Don Hayward's Detroit Diesel 2 Stroke Engine Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
453T

Don,

I tried to enter your message board, was not successful. I don't know much about message boards and forums.

I have a couple quick questions. I am looking at purchasing a 1979 GMC 7000, it has a 4 53T Detroit in it.
The truck has set up for ten years. Start right up, sounds good and not smoking.

I do not have any knowledge of the 4 53T motor.

Questions;
Are these (in general) good motors ?
Would the blower or turbo have damage from sitting up for ten years ?
The motor data plate displays 4L-53T, what does the L stand for.

I am considering making this vehicle a medium duty tow truck, would a 4 53T have enough power ?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: 453T

HI,
just click at the bottom where it says post it will bring up a new page fill it in make sure you use the digital number/letter at the bottom then click post ..
it will depend on what injectors it has in it as to the HP but will be in the vicinity of 160HP @ 2800 rpm..
good work horse motor but you will have to watch for your emission criteria in your area!!!
just keep a watch on the turbo and blowers to see they don't leak any oil after a period of use ..
don't know the L but for the build it should have a 8 digit number that will tell its specs..
have a look when engine running from front and see which direction the front pulley is rotating..
go to ebay and you should be able to pick up a service manual on a CD fairly cheap..
don

Email  

Hey Don,
Thank you for the information.
The Data Plate we pulled off the motor today does say 170 HP @ 2500 RPM.
I believe the "L" may be the engine family, as I said I don't know much about the 4 53T.
I am looking for a WORK HORSE.
I have ran 350 C.I. & 366 C.I. Gas Engines in many a C50 C60 & GMC 6000.
If it pulls as good as they have, I will be happy.
I believe this truck was well maintained, just sat-up for so long (10 years).
Have not seen any leaks on turbo or blower yet and hope not to, we will keep an eye on this.
I have not found the eight digit number, will look tomorrow.
Will check crank rotation and look on ebay for a service manual.
From front, looking at it I believe it was turning clock wise. Not 100 % sure.
Thanks again for the info on the motor and how to post.

Does this mean anything about the injectors; (on data plate)
Fuel rate at advertised HP 59.9 MM3/stroke
Injection Timing 10 Deg. BTC Valve lash .026 (I do understand the timing and valve lash)

Are all 4 53T Australian Design ? (again on data plate)
Thanks

Re: Re: 453T

Hi,
well those engines will run very well up to 2800 RPM!!!
again L no further info..
it is a work horse motor believe me!!!.
was the engine run during the layup???
you will need to remove tappet cover and check the number tag on the injectors to see what it is running!!!
do you live across the ditch????
aussie did not design any of these engines they were made in USA but a modification could have been done there.. we modified and upgraded many units of Detroit Diesels!!!!
don

Email  
Re: Re: 453T

I believe the L just means it is an inline motor as opposed to a V motor design. I have a 4-53T with N50 injectors. It is a real work horse. I was told not to go above 2500 rpm. I had governer set for 2950 rpm max and it broke the crankshaft. In the mid sixties, Chevrolet had a truck, D60 series that had the 4-53 in it without the turbo. They also had some with 6V-53 in another model. Sounds like you have a nice motor there. Greg

Email  
Re: Re: Re: 453T

I am looking at a 79 Tucker Snowcat that has the Detroit 4-53T also in it. It has 2800 hours on it and all seems to be in good shape. Any problems with these engines? Are they reliable? Thanks for any help.

Mike

Email  
Re: Re: Re: 453T

I'd like to go with a 4-53T for street/rat rod. How much does a 4-53T go for? What trans will I need?

Email  

HI. it will depend on your location you should indidcate a basic location and you will get more info..
don

Email  

I'm in southern Ohio and I'm also studying to be a diesel mechanic

Email  

Hi,
you could try these people..
sales@dslspec.com
don

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com