Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 

« | | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | »
Author
Comment
And very impolitic too... modern day adaptation

Girls, I was so bold as to reveal the contents of my new WIP, a modern day adaptation that, for a large part, will take place in my home town and that I dedicate to those great girls I met in cyberspace and who actually came to visit me: And Very Impolic Too... [working title]

check out the 'My Stories' page.

Renée

Email  
Re: And very impolitic too... modern day adaptation

Can't wait to read it Renée. It sounds really interresting

Sid

Ummm....Renee, cherie?

As one of your cyberfriends who has come to see you (and am threatening a future visit with my princess and my banshee baby), and to whom you dedicate this story, I am thrilled to see you announcing it here on your excellent site.

However, I might want to point out to you that writing[/i] your story might perhaps be the logical first step in the process.

Or is this a way for you to commit yourself to writing it ahead of time?

all my best to you and your own personal Mr. Darcy~

Roya

Email  

Ummm....Renee, cherie?

As one of your cyberfriends who has come to see you (and am threatening a future visit with my princess and my banshee baby), and to whom you dedicate this story, I am thrilled to see you announcing it here on your excellent site.

However, I might want to point out to you that writing your story might perhaps be the logical first step in the process.

Or is this a way for you to commit yourself to writing it ahead of time?

all my best to you and your own personal Mr. Darcy~

Roya

Email  

Hey, how come it posted twice?

Email  

Roya, I was so thrilled to receive a notification for three posts in a row!!!

Indeed, this announcement is my big stick to get to work, and you know what?... It works! I've been writing and making notes all day. I'm quite excited about this one, but won't forget my baby, TGT

Renée

Email  

Coming over with the princess and the banshee a threat????
I'd be thrilled, as well as my Mr. B! The entire family R is most welcome, always! So, why not bring your JR too?

Renée

Email  

Oh please hurry and write some of it, I absolutely love the premise and can't wait to read it! It promises to be very very interesting indeed!

j

So cool, Joanie, I'm revisiting in my mind and in reality (since they are so close) all the places I was with you all.

A sentimental journey in my hometown...

Renée

Email  
Re: Re: And very impolitic too... modern day adaptation

Renee, dear, you know I've longing to read the story ever since you told me about it! I still do, even more so after I read the announcement on the site. It sort of seems more real now

BTW, it's September already! You know what that means, right?

H&K
Maja

Email  

It is very real, Maja, and these last couple of days I've been making notes and writing like mad... I wouldn't be surprised if indeed the first chapter will be posted this very month. ...Still 29 days to go...

Renée

Email  

Okay Renee, from where I sit, it's down to six days. How's the writing coming?

Lisa

Email  

I'm anxiously awaiting your, and some other fine eyed ladies' approval to post chapter 1, luv.

Renée

Email  

Waiting, waiting, waiting....checking my calendar...7 more days, sweet!

Maja, off to wait some more

Email  

Oh my, I dearly hope I won't disappoint...

Renée

Email  

Renee!

Hurry, hurry, hurry! (Well, not really. I've no right to ask anyone to hurry!) But I must say, I'm eagerly anticipating this story and I'm positive you won't disappoint. I know how much of a perfectionist you are so take your time and make sure you feel comfortable before posting.

Can't wait!
Tracey

Hi Renée!

I'm also waiting very impatiently for your new story!!

Any idea when the first chapter will be ready?

Can't wait! I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Amelie

Email   ameliebjd@hotmail.com   Website

Awww I love you great girls. I hope to post soon. I'm very close...

Email  

Hm Renee, I'm awaiting the first chapter of your new story quite impatiently (is that a word ?) You know these fanfic JA, D&E sites are so wonderful, because you notice all these names from people you meet somewhere else too.. . I think this will tun out to be a lovely community!!!(hope you will post soon )

Janine

Email   janineritsema@hotmail.com  

Janine, as one of my fellow Dutchies you might like the principal location... Right, Holland.

Renée

Email  

Anxiously awaiting as well, Renee!

Julie

Email  

Me, too! Me, too!!

We're all looking forward to your new story, dear Renée!

Cheers!
Julia B

Me and my grey haired William has been put on the backburner then?

Looking foreward to this one though - I can have a 'look' around Holland before I come

Gwen

Email  

Gwennie, I first have to see you finish before I start that one!...

Renée

Email  

As long as you don't need to see William beside me at the finish as well, I'm sure I can fulfill your requirements

Gwen

Email  

girls, I've never seen so many comments before a story was even posted!...

I posted chapter 1 on the 'My Stories' page. I hope I won't disappoint you.

love,
Renée

And it's about time too, you've made your deadline with only a few days to spare!

Lisa

Email  

Well I finally got my ass into gear and have time to explore your little world here Renee. I'm glad that my first post as well, is to comment on your wonderful new story. I love the idea of this piece and can't wait to be transported back to my too short a time in The Hague. I've already told you about my request for a wild night out in Amsterdam

Clare

Email   Clare  

Hey Renee,

Just noticed that you had posted the first chapter of your new story and I must say that I love it already.. Darcy is already being haughty and a little bit annoying. It's time for Elizabeth to do something about that . I think your Darcy will need some slapping in the face in the near future. He not only has very much pride, he is very much prejudiced already too!! Hope you will post new chapters to this story regularly.

Janine

Email   janineritsema@hotmail.com  

Renée this is such a wonderful start to your story!! I love William already, the way he was lost in his thoughts, and Jennifer seems so nice too! He has some strange ideas, but I'm sure that will change as the story progresses.

Can't wait for more!

Amelie

Email   ameliebjd@hotmail.com   Website

Renee, this is GREAT!

I'm already so psyched up for this story, it flows so easily, it was like eating candy! I want more asap!

I loved the easy converational style between Darcy and Jen. And I especially love Jen's character. Her background, her memories of the late 60's in Holland, her style, everything, not your typical Mrs. Reynolds -- great idea! I'm sure writing her character must have come naturally to you, didn't it?

All the names are so authentic (thanks for the pronunciation!) Already, Darcy has noticed Elly from her picture and bio! I can't wait for the next chapter and the way the rest of your characters will be. I'm sure Caroline will be a pill and perfect as the manager of the hotel -- so she'll have access to Darcy's room anytime, I'm sure -- poor poor man, I hate to think of what's in store for him there!

Thanks again, Renee, this was brilliant, can't wait, can't wait for more! I'm so glad to be reading a modern set in your city! What kind of posting schedule do you anticipate?

Julie

Email  

Renee, as you know I love this idea for a modern interpretation of P&P. I was hooked from the minute you told me of it. I love your characters so far, especially Mrs. Reynolds' story and personality! Looking forward to the sparks, and the politics. Great beginning! j

Jennifer is such an original character Renee. I see her as someone with wisdom and maturity from experience and a good balance for her boss. She has the common touch and, smart man that Darcy is, he makes use of it with his own limitations. I suppose she cuts all those four syllable words he prefers down to only two!

As I told you, I think this is a very imaginative and new approach to a story. The setting is very interesting and for most of us, where you will take us is new. But I also especially like the political theme you have chosen. It allows you to keep the story a little more thoughtful, a little more adult and adds more than a little room for clashes between the characters with a plot that will make us exercise our brains. It is more to my personal preference and I very much look forward to the next chapter!

Lisa

Email  

Very nice Renée! I agree with what Lisa said, this is a fresh approach. This is a fun, intelligent story that will be fun to watch the story unfold. JA-FF with a twist! Love the authenticity of the names, too. I'm looking forward to more! Thank you!!

Cheers,
Julia B

P.S. You need more emoticons! Like a kiss, hug, a rose &/or a trophy!, and of course, my sun!

Oh, girls, thank you, thank you! I'm so happy you like it. Actually I'm enjoying writing this story very much. It feels rather comfortable to describe locations I know well, apart from the characters we all know so well... hee hee

Julia, there are many more emoticons. Below the window in which you type your message there's a link: 'More smilies'... kisses, hugs, the works!

Renée

Renee, I've already posted this on another forum, but I'm vain enough to think it's worth repeating on your own site. (Vanity is a weakness indeed.)

I've always thought a modern "prejudice" could be geographic/cultural, so you've captured my interest immediately. And of course, with Elizabeth in as a Dutch Labour Party member vs. the Darcy as a Conservative MP in England makes total sense. There's so much that could go wrong... and right!

I adore your first sentence as it is a truth... much more valid than J.A.'s tongue in cheek comment at the beginning of her story. LOL I already find his absentmindedness endearing... I hope it peeks through your story from time to time. And I adore Jennifer... you've so perfectly described her. She's a "real" person to me already. That streak of hippie sneaking through in a very conservative arena. The earrings are her downfall. :gig I actually know many women like that... everything is quite proper about their wardrobe and then boom! look at those fabulous earrings that just tell you that when she gets home, there's a lot more to her than you'd ever see at work! She also gives her employer a good dose of realism to help keep him aware of the real world.

So Darcy's "tolerable" line is missed by Elizabeth... I believe someone already commented, I'm sure he'll get the chance to put his foot in his mouth even though he didn't get to use this line in her presence! LOL! I wonder though if Jennifer caught him out and he's not willing to admit it... she did point out that Elizabeth was tempting enough for him to read her bio... and he sort of stumbled. Hmmmmmmm...already interested or are you just pulling our leg, Renee?

But he's prejudiced against the Dutch? Hmph. Well. I've been to Holland and I know several Dutch people online. I think they're lovely! He really needs to learn, doesn't he? His stiff upper lip needs to softened a bit, doesn't it? Lizzy will do a good job of that, in more ways than one, I'm sure!

And "dog sh*t on the sidewalks"? I thought that was a notorious French thing... not Dutch... or are all continental countries the same?

What I did like about your Darcy was that when Jennifer teased him, we got to see a twinkle in his eyes. He can already be teased, if it's the right person!

And you had to mention Caroline! Already a yucky prospect at his check in. Poor boy!

As you can tell by the length of my comment, Renee, I'm already intrigued and I look forward to more!

Thank you!
Tracey

I was searching for something new to read and having already read chapter one of this very interesting story I thought... maybe, just maybe... "Mrs. Darcy" might hold the next intriguing chapter. Well, it was a good thought just the same. This is a great start Renee and I'll patiently await chapter two! Happy writing!
Kim

Tracey wrote: "And "dog sh*t on the sidewalks"? I thought that was a notorious French thing... not Dutch... or are all continental countries the same?"

Oh, I wouldn't know, darling, but what Darcy says really happened: it is litterally taken from what a Canadian friend of my parents said after having spend some time in Amsterdam... LOL BTW, Paris has a special dog **** brigade for years, so don't worry about stepping in it anymore over there.

Kim, I'm making progress but I have to refine some aspects of chapter 2. Won't wait too long, don't worry. ;)

So funny, I have to share this: my husband read the chapter too and his reaction was: "Geez, Renée, do you have to confirm all those Dutch stereotypes?"

I reminded him of the book title it's based on...

Thank you!

Renée

Renee,

As if I didn't love the story enough, a pic of Henry to help me drool over your Darcy. Sigh.

Thank you, Darling!

Grace ~ A picture of Henry.. What picture of Henry!?!?! Where????

And dear Renée.. not that I'm impatient or anything .. but it has been TWO weeks since Chapter 1 was posted! Dare I ask.. will you soon be posting Chapter 2?

Thank you for pointing me toward the emoticons!!

Cheers,
Julia B

Julia! The picture is posted on the My Stories page.

The fifth draft of Chapter 2 is in the capable hands of my betas at the moment, so I don't think it will be very long before I post again.

How was your weekend with Mr. J?

smooches, Renée

I've only just read this but am rubbing my hands together in glee because I'll only have a very short wait for the next chapter. I love it already - Darcy as a coservative minister eh.
Tracy has covered more than adequately what I would say so all I can add is MORE MORE MORE, please. Gwen
P.S. that picture Grace! [thanks Renee]

Email  

Gah! How could I have missed that yummy picture of Henry ( )! Thanks!

We're looking forward to Chapter Two!!

Cheers,
Julia B

P.S. Thank you for asking ~ the weekend with Mr.Wonderful in SF was fabulous!

Renee,

I love Chapter 2 with all of its parallels, beginning with the pics/bios "falling" out of the protagonists' paperwork. Do you think they've heard of fate?

Very much looking forward to Chapter 3.

By the way, I want one of those sandwiches! yummy!

Just wanted to let you know I WILL get to Chapter 2 as I eagerly want to read it, but life is a bit busy right now! I wish it wasn't, I'd rather read your story!

Tracey

Tracey, you're a living doll! You go on with the birthday preparations for our little cutie pie and I'm sure I'll read your opinion asa you have found time to read.

smooches,
Renée

Another scrumptious chapter, Renee!

I want one of those sandwiches too! Please give me the recipe!

It was so nice to finally sit down and read this chapter after my busy day. I enjoyed the conversation between Jan and Elly a lot. So natural sounding, just like sisters. I like the idea of this "celebrity" Elly who is the youngest and written up. I can't wait until she and Darcy meet. I hope Darcy is nice to Jan on the ride back and doesn't act like a complete snob/jerk. I can't wait to see what Charles thinks when he finds out who drove Darcy to the hotel from the airport.

Thanks again for the wonderful diversion and I'm looking forward to chapter 3,

Julie

Email  

Oh Renee, you have us English off to a tee!"tight arsed, stiff upper lip" - until we get abroad, unfortunately for some of us that's very true. I'm no hooligan so I won't embarrass you - as for intoxicated hmmmm? that's debatable
I really need one of those sandwiches b/t/w
Oh yes, the story - I love it,I can't wait for them to meet, Elly is clearly very biased before ever that happens, her dear sweet level headed sister is trying to persuade her to be reasonable. Poor unsusspecting Darcy[I'm usually on his side]doesn't know what's waiting for him.
Moooooore,[as soon as you like]please. Gwen

Email  

There now, it didn't take too long for me to get around to reading it afterall, did it? Probably because I couldn't resist!

Another "it fell out of the pile" scenario? Hmmmmmm... the fates are already telling them something! And are the Darcy's related? Love the parallels!

And I love how Jane pointed out immediately that Elly was jumping to conclusions! That's exactly our Lizzy! LOL I liked how Jane also pointed out that Darcy couldn't be so bad if he's secretary openly talked about her wild days in the sixties. Are you getting rid of all the prejudices ahead of time? Somehow, I highly doubt it!

Elly's stereotype of the British was spot on! Those two behaviours shouldn't relate, but somehow they do... and now I know. They're wild when they travel! LOL

Those sandwiches sound positively yummy. Mmmmm... much more appealing and civilized than plain ham and cheese. Mmmm... a blond Chris... watch it Renee, I may get suspicious. You're trying to give my man away to Jane! LOL (You do know my Chris's parents are both from England, didn't you?)

And I like this description of Elizabeth... a bit in the public eye as she's so young and pretty... but, of course, wanted to be respected for her brains and abilities. Is this where the prejudice will come in with Darcy? Will he think her showy? Mmm... curiouser and curiouser. I'm making all of these guesses that are probably incorrect!

Okay, I'm ready for them to meet now! You've set it up beautifully, but I'm curious about their introduction.

Thank you, Renee!
Tracey

Thanks for this great new chapter Renée!!

I loved how Janneke was so excited when she found out what Charles was doing and that he knew Darcy!

The Darcy-Elly meeting was brilliant. So funny and explosive!

Caroline is brilliant!! She'd say *anything* to try to get some attention from Darcy!

Amelie

Renee, this story is very entertaining. I had to laugh in so many places. I especially like the way you have used national stereotypes to provide the basis for the repartee between Elly and William – it is very effective, and funny too!

This made me laugh: "I can’t think of a more boring way to spend an evening than in the company of somebody who speaks in monosyllables and hums along to outdated pop music."

Also Jane having quality time with her mirror, and the image of Darcy looking with horror at all the foam in his glass, and the pink ribbon in Caroline's dog's fringe!

But, in case we fear your Darcy is too stiff and snobbish, he comes out with this devastatingly charming rejoinder, completely lost on our irritated Elizabeth: " Here’s to the Dutch then, who are generous after all, but who aren’t so keen on fun-shopping. And I promise to do my best to behave during my stay, if you’ll be so kind as to call me William.” Darcy replied light-heartedly, raising his glass and, in an attempt to break the ice, added: “I compliment you on your command of English, Mrs. Van Benthem. I studied French for quite a few years, but I’ll never be able to reach the conversation level in that language that you have in mine."

Looking forward to the actual conference, to Elly's speech and their next go-round.

j

« | | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | »
Tweet