Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Matthew Macfadyen plays Rembrandt...

My Dutch heart instnatly started beating faster when I read this news the other day:

Another Mr. Darcy to play famous Dutch painter: First Colin Firth as Vermeer in Girl with a Pearl Earring and now Matthew Macfadyen as Rembrandt... in a movie called "Nightwatching" directed by none other than Peter Greenaway. Interesting news I've found in an article about the difficulties the British movie industry has... You can find the article here

More information on the contents of the movie here

A movie to look forward to! Personally, I think that Matthew is the perfect actor to play Rembrandt. A strong, expressive face, apart from his wonderful acting skills. My husband, for once, agreed with me.

Renée

Re: Matthew Macfadyen plays Rembrandt...

I just read on the Dutch website museum.nl some more information on Greenaway's "Nightwatching". Interesting thing, it's not only a movie. The movie will be but a part of a much larger project, which will also consist of a special exhibition and an opera, performed in the famous Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, where Rembrandt's Nightwatch is.

It's Greenaway's intention to create a theatrical experience with images, sound, actors, dialogues and costumes in which all 31 characters on the painting will be brought to life. The opera will be performed as a part of the opening programme of the Holland Festival.

So, Rembrandt lovers, I'm afraid you'll have to come all over to Amsterdam this year and enjoy this interesting project and celebrate Rembrandt's 400th birthday, together with us proud Dutch.

Renée

will matthew be there?

are you dutch? (sorry , i'd just like to know , i
love dutch people, they're so friendly)

I wouldn't be surprised if the premiere of the movie were to take place in Amsterdam. And I suppose Matthew will attend then. I'll keep my eyes and ears wide open for news on the subject, promise!

Yes, as a matter of fact I'm Dutch, we're neighbours Alicia. TY for the compliment and it's exactly what I think of the Belgians: friendly and hospitable.

Renée

I love the idea of this project! I sure hope it happens. Right now I hear that imdb lists MM but Greenaway does not. Trying not to get too excited....

Renee, wouldn't it be great if you were able to see MM live at the premiere like you saw CF? ;)

joanie

Renee, wouldn't it be great if you were able to see MM live at the premiere like you saw CF?

Absolutely, and afterwards be called "Renée-the- celeb huntress-specialized-in-actors-who-play-Mr. Darcy-and-famous-Dutch-painters..."

I hope Greenaway will be wise enough to take him. The man is a rising star, apart from being a great actor. Apart from that he has not a pretty face, but a strong, handsome one. Very suitable for Rembrandt, IMHO.

Renée

Source: Entertainment News

MacFadyen Goes "Nightwatching"
Posted: Tuesday April 25th, 2006 11:53pm
Source: European Films
Author: Garth Franklin

The long gestating Peter Greenaway project "Nightwatching" is finally taking shape with the announcement of a June start date for filming and a star: Matthew MacFadyen ("Pride & Prejudice", TV's "Spooks") reports European Films.

The British actor will play the role of Dutch Baroque painter Rembrandt van Rijn in Greenaway's chronicle of the creation of his most famous painting, 'The Night Watch'. The film is a Dutch-British-French-Polish co-production which will start shooting in June in Poland, on a budget of 5.1 million euros.

Greenaway, a resident of the Netherlands, will try to look into the meaning and secrets that are part of the titular work of art as well as the life of Rembrandt in the period that he painted the commission for the musketeers company portrayed, including the devastating blow of losing his wife and three of his children.

I hope it's for certain now!

Renée

Ciao Renée,
I was in Amsterdam this weekend for the Caravaggio-Rembrandt exhibition and took a good, long look at the self portraits of Rembrant I saw. Well, I could see no resemblance at all (Luckily for MM? ;-P ) but I do agree that MM acting skills will manage to make an excellent and deeply characterized Rembrandt.
Ciao!!!
paola.

Is it only coincidence that CF played Vermeer?!

Is it only coincidence that CF played Vermeer?!

I suppose it is, Trixiara. Funny thing is both actors had their breakthrough thanks to Mr. Darcy, but CF years before he got the part of Vermeer. Another funny coincidence: Colin Firth's family originates from Delft (yes, he has Dutch ancestors ), the town where Vermeer lived all his life.

And Paola, did you get a chance to see more of Amsterdam? How long did you stay, what did you see?

It was only a short trip, due to the "long weekend" of the Italian National HOliday. and it was not our first time to the NL. we stayed in Amsterdam for a couple of days, paid the necessary visit to the wonderful Museums walked as much as we could. It is such a wanderful city, I simply love it.
It is quite simply beautiful - perhaps not hugely monumental, but enchanting in every corner. And then I am from Venice: I love canal-towns. and it gives a strange feeling: everybody there seems young and tall and beautiful, where are all those who are not?
there are only 2 things that prevent me from moving to your country: the language and the weather. Perhaps I am too Italian within.
and on the way back (by car) we went to see the flower fields - never before had I smelled the perfume of a field of Hyacinths, or seen such a show. and last but not least - went to buy a huge amount of wonderful Gouda, all the different sorts we could find. which may be awful for my figure, but so wanderful to my taste it can only do me good. I am so lucky I found a husband that loves your country even more than I do myself! ciao.paola.

Paola, how wonderful that you like Amsterdam so much! Not surprising though, since it's known as the Venice of the north... . We have a lot of friends and family over there, so we go there quite often. If you ever plan a visit to The Hague (only one hour drive from Amsterdam), let me know, and I'll reveal all the interesting and fun places to go to.

The flower fields are beautiful, aren't they, and indeed that delicious scent. This season'we've always huge bouquets of tulips in the house.

i don't thinlk he is going to play this role now, the rumour is that Martin freeman is..........he had sideburns recently, unsure whether tht is evidence enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, noooooooo, say it isn't so!! How horrid.

Indeed, I fear it may be true. This is what's currently listed at idmb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446750/fullcredits

How utterly disappointing!

I'm afraid you're right.. I found this on a German site. the actor apparently took over from Matthew. Perhaps Matthew declined himself.

Zelluloid filmnews

However, this is a message dated May 10th...

Entertainment News

I remember it was the same with Johannes Vermeer (Girl With a Pearl Earring). Colin was mentioned, but so were others and when we fans almost gave up, he got the role anyway.