Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Darcy and Elizabeth: nights and days at Pemberley

Ladies (and eventual gents), today I received my copy of Ms. Berdoll's sequel to her sequel. I'm sure this will be another bestseller, since through my site alone quite a few copies have been ordered (thank you very much if you are amongst them... ;)). I cannot read it for a while, since I'm totally absorbed by the Outlander saga, but, I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed the Bar Sinister (never read the revised edition Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife), despite all its mistakes. It was very entertaining, sexy, adventurous and I had great fun with it. I've heard -- not read myself -- that there are discussions here and there and that many aren't that enthusiastic about it. I bet Ms. Berdoll cries all the way to the bank... (freely rendered from Liberace )

Anyway, I'm all anticipation. I like to look at it as a great piece of fanfiction. Obviously, it's not Austen, but there's only one Austen and that's Austen, right? Linda Berdoll's style is totally different, but I like imagining Lizzy and Darcy (how I see them) in the situations she puts them in.

Will let you know what I think asap. I hope there are more amongst you who have it on your bedside table.

Renée

Re: Darcy and Elizabeth: nights and days at Pemberley

Oh, how great to find someone not slating Mr Darcy takes a Wife, I know its frivolous nonsense, but i read it one day whilst poorly ( how fortunate to be poorly, i thought...)I enjoyed it, especially ****SPOILER*** when Mrs Darcy asked Mr Darcy to wear his breeches and boots only.......especially after seeing MM in P&P..looking forward to her sequel, sequel, but it is not in print in UK yet....

Most of my JA friends liked it, Trixiara. We all had fun with it, and many read it more than once. . Glad you enjoyed reading it too.

Amazon UK has it, so, you could order it through here. I posted the amazon.uk and the amazon.com links on top of the page.

But if you can purchase from your own bookshop you'll save postage of course.

cheers
Renée

Amazon uk says its not published here yet, and so does my bookshop, interesting raising of eyebrows when i asked.... especially as i had just bought the nooker prize nominated books! varied reading is good for an all round look at life i say!

True, that's what it says. I ordered it myself in the US, it didn't even take took weeks to get here, and I paid 20 USD. 11 for the book and 9 for shipping

Dear Renee.
Do you think this book worth the while reading? I would really like to know your opinion.
Eli

Dear Eli, I'm reading it right now and plan to post a review soon.

R~

Dearest Renee
How is it going? Do you like it so far?
Eli

Hi Eli!

I haven't finished it as yet, but so far, I think I liked the first sequel better. "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife" is delightful: adventurous, humourous, sexy... here and there a bit silly too, but that didn't bother me one bit. The dynamics are great. I simply couldn't stop reading and loved the developing relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy...

The 2nd sequel is definitely as humourous -- Linda Berdoll has a fine sense of humour which I think is very appealing and her use of language is great fun -- but the story itself, so far, is not very transparent. I simply cannot really discover a plotline, actually, and the fact that the chapters jump from one point of view to another all the time doesn't make it all clearer. With every new chapter, I wonder where she's leading her readers!

However, as said, I haven't finished it, so what isn't there now, could become clear soon. So far, I sort of read it as a collection of short stories and I'm enjoying myself despite my criticism. There are so many elements that are lovely, such as the birth of a foal, the attitude of the Darcy's towards their children and the improved relationship between Jane and Bingley.

All in all, I don't regret I bought it, quite on the contrary. It definitely belongs on my shelves: I think we fanfiction fans and -authors, not forgetting, sort of owe it to Linda. Her influence on the first 'generation' of fanfiction authors who got completely hooked because of the 1995 BBC series has been enormous, and justifiably so. There's no denying that!

Renée

Hi Renee
Thank you the tip and your time. I really appreciate it.With the first sequel then I shall start.It is available through your site, is it not?
Eli

You're welcome, dear Eli, and yes the book is available through my site. Just click on a random amazon link and search for the book in amazon's search programme. Thanks! There you'll find many reviews which could be helpful for your final decision.

hi,
I just finished reading this book & while there were many moments in the book I did enjoy, I have to say I do not feel that it is as compelling as the first sequel...
I have to say also that I wasn't particuarly interested in John Christie's sister/ Mr Wickhams demise/debasing more women.
To be honest I thought I was buying "Darcy and Elizabeth: nights and days at Pemberley." The story in this novel does not live up to that title. Too many sub plots about others and for me not enough of E&D, saying that if there is a third book I will probably read it.

Thanks Tri
I think all P&P fans are mostly interested in dishy Mr Darcy more than anything, aren´t we? Not much interested in MW seduction.Your tip is most welcome. Thanks Again
Eli

saying that if there is a third book I will probably read it.

Me too, Trixiara, most definitely!

Renée

I concur with much of the sentiment here - I liked Berdoll's first book much better than the second. I thought she spent way too much time in the second one covering what went on in the first one; I also thought there was too much time devoted to the subplots and I actually skipped through much of them and read the D & E parts. About half-way through the book, I considered not finishing it, but it does get better. I agree that if there is a third written by Ms. Berdoll that I would read it. Amazon.com has a lot of reviews and there is a message board - sentiments are mixed - some readers loved it and some hated it.

In the end I made up my mind and have just purchased "Mr Darcy takes a wife". It will take the book a good week to arrive to me.In the meantime this fan will very much appreciate your uploading you very well know what.
lovingly
Eli

Well, as I've already told you somewhere in the page I have just finished reading "Mr Darcy Takes a Wife " and I just adored it. I am planning to purchase the second sequel despise the uninviting reviews. Though, I dare say, I 'll have to wait a little because the shiping from Uk cost as much as the book, in the end I paid 14 pounds, which , to my change in pesos is really dear!!! But I do not regret it, I 've spent a wonderful time so I would happily do it again(In fact I will do it again, only that I 'll have to save up a little)Meantime I'll give the 1sr sequel a second and perhaps a third reading.It really deserves it!!!

Hello all. I have read them both. I loved the first and liked the second (Nights and Days at Pemberley) alot. The books made me laugh, cry, get angry and I was very happy with most of the way the characters ended up.
I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I did.

Thank you Ivonne. I have just purchased the second book through Mrs Darcy's site, and I am really enjoying myself.It really is a bit repetitive, but the descriptions this lady makes of our dear Mr Darcy are soooo good. I just love it!

Renée I quite agree with you. While I enjoyed the first sequel, I had read so many bad reviews about this one that I only recently bought it.

I read it very quickly at first and was disappointed as expected. I can't see a plot. Once more a lot of scenes could be cut because they don't make the action go on. There is no excitement in reading it like there was in the first one. It makes me feel like LB had little time to write it and did it in an hurry.

Now I've picked up the book to read it once more, much much slowlier and it is better. It is as you said, very enjoyable as short stories.

Now I only hope she will find a proper editor for the third one (if there will be one, which I think it will)

Now I only hope she will find a proper editor for the third one (if there will be one, which I think it will)

I hope so too, Sid, 'cause I wouldn't be surprised either that one fine day a third one will see the light!

I've read both Berdoll sequels and I agree that the first one is definitely better. I've read most of the published P&P sequels that are listed at pemberley.com, having to order most of them from amazon.uk but a couple of them I found at my local library. Pamela Aidens books are the best Darcy POV sequels I've read and I highly recommend them. I hope there's a third book from Ms. Berdoll, however, I'm just as happy reading all the marvelous fan fiction here at Mrs. Darcy's!

I'm glad you like the stories over here, Frances!

I've Pamela's books, as well as a few other published JA/PP fanfiction novels on my bedside table, but couldn't really find the time to read them. Started Pamerla's, and I fully agree, she's a very talented author.

Thanks to the Republic of Pemberley, I've read a few P&P retellings/sequels. Ummm, 9 or 10? ;)

I did like the first Berdoll book, but the huge supporting cast of new characters took too much away from the Lizzy/Darcy scenes. I bought it, but don't know if I'll buy the second. I didn't like it as much, for pretty much the same reason. But I'll admit, I did get a big kick from how she dealt with Wickham. It was...creative.