Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée O. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: INVITATION: post your DRABBLE here...!

Bambu, I just read your Darcy drabble, and I too must say it is excellent and evocative of the bleak morning after a tortured night he must have spent, penning his letter to Elizabeth. Thank you!

Julie

I do have three-pages of a rough outline for a Darcy/Elizabeth Regency story. However, it doesn't quite have an ending yet. I think I might write drabbles for most of the P&P characters, so I can get a better feel for them.

I like this appraoch, like it very much indeed!

R~

Thanks ...

Julie L. I'm so pleased you liked the Darcy drabble. I had a very clear image of that one, the other was more of a 'feeling.' Isn't it interesting how different ideas evoke different clarity?

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. It's so very encouraging.

You're welcome Bambu, I hadn't seen the Lizzy one before when I posted last night, now, I've just read it. It too is very good, you are very talented in your use of nature and detail in conjuring up images, yet keeping it brief at the same time! Not easy!! Keep it up!

Julie

Outlines and Drabbles

Renee, you're so very encouraging. It's marvelous, and I thank you.

I do have three little drabble bunnies nibbling away at my brain. I may have to indulge one of them tomorrow morning, as we're away to a wedding and reception later today. Still, I have a thought about Mrs. Bennet I may play with -- of course, she flutters about so nervously I can't get her to be quiet for ten minutes altogether!

Drabbles of Thanks

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the Lizzy piece as well, Julie L. It wasn't quite as distinct an image as the Darcy drabble, but I was inspired more by her feelings than the setting.

You're most kind to offer continued encouragement.

Thank you so much.

Enjoy yourself, Bambu! Looking forward to the new ones.

Here's my small offering:

William was still half asleep when he started to cry, quietly at first but the noise quickly got more demanding. She squinted at the clock, very tired, but it was too dark to see. She rose with a sigh, picked the baby up from his crib and offered him her breast but the baby would not stop crying long enough to start nursing and she had to pace across the room, attempting to soothe him.

“Hush, Wills, it is all right, mama is here.”

She tried everything she could think of to pacify him but all in vain. The crying got louder and soon he howled as if in terrible pain. She felt a headache coming on as well. Broken nights were taking their toll. She knew from experience that this would take an hour at least.

Finally she made him a nest out of a blanket next to herself and fell on her bed in exhaustion. His sobs came only in occasional cramps now.

Her husband opened the door and looked in. He was shocked. “My dear, do you not remember what Lady Catherine says about sleeping next to the baby?”

Thank you, Katja, this is very recognizable for all mothers. :)

“My dear, do you not remember what Lady Catherine says about sleeping next to the baby?”

I bet she disapproves of it, but I often did and it helped! Took them in our bed... hee hee

I will post it on the appropriate page tomorrow, Katja. Welcome aboard.

Renée

I've been very remiss in leaving my comments for these drabbles, and I'm sorry. They're beautiful!

I'm very intrigued by some of them, though, and that's the bad thing for me about reading drabbles: I usually want to know more!! Mel, will you tell us who's Lizzy other admirer? Colonel Fitzwilliam, perhaps (but would he walk with her at midnigth?!!)? I would love to read a continuation of your drabble And Katja, you won't leave us there, will you? I have to know what Lady Catherine has to say on the subject! Her advise is always so useful!

Thanks, ladies, for sharing you writing, and Renée, of course,for keeping this site! It's great!

and Renée, of course,for keeping this site! It's great!

Thanks, Maria Teresa, I'm doing the best I can!

Katya, that was a lovely drabble! Loved that last line, it was very amusing :)

Thank you Maria Teresa, I have to say I am thinking of 'completing' that drabble... so is it fair to keep you in suspense about those two men I mentioned? ;)

It occurred to me that you might be wanting a title, Renee, so I thought this could be "An Olive Branch"

Good thinking, Katja. In the meantime Bravenet is ok again, so I can post it on the special drabble page.

R~

Yikes! The problems with Bravenet haven't been solved... I've uploaded Katja's drabble but the page looks awful... Well, 'let's not complain immediately and see what happens in the next few hours.

R~

My second attempt at a drabble. This is actually more an excerpt (a bit of alteration required for the 200 word-requirement) from a story I'm writing...

----
In the Dark

He refilled his glass with brandy and sat down in his favorite chair.

He thought of her; of her eyes that had twinkled repeatedly that night over dinner, eyes that had danced with pleasure when she’d smiled at him… the sound of her gentle laugh as it mingled with his own low one. He remembered how she unconsciously, repeatedly, licked her lips before speaking – and how that gesture had almost driven him to distraction… how, when she’d noticed him staring at her, she’d ducked her head in adorable shyness, the color rising in her cheeks. And he felt her breath on his face once more, seeing her upturned face before him, eyes closed as she waited… all of it seeming like a dream…

And then he saw her in the stranger’s arms – a lover’s arms, for it had not been a friendly, fleeting embrace. It had been one of want, of refuge, or of a long-awaited reunion.

William shook his head violently. Her bright, laughing eyes and her warm, open smile teased his thoughts til the early hours, steadily fading into emptiness as the bottle’s contents diminished.

She would never be his.

So lovely, but so sad too, Mel.

And I'm already sad enough as it is! Bravenet just told me that I have to re-create the lay-out of the drabbles page and other pages I updated. They're experiencing severe problems with their new system, and unfortunately I'm one of the (presumably many) victims.

So, don't expect new updates withing 24/48 hours. I'll patiently await further information.

R~ <-- most seriously displeased...

Mel, your second drabble was sad, but beautiful. I love a William Darcy so bewitched with Elizabeth Bennet and the feeling of melancholy you conveyed to the drabble . And the optimist in me thinks William will have a happier end in this story than he has at present reason to hope

Thank you Maria Teresa, I have to say I am thinking of 'completing' that drabble... so is it fair to keep you in suspense about those two men I mentioned?

Fair or not, please continue!!! I'm eager to read the rest of your story (and to know who's that mysterious man who keeps our William so despondent of course)!

Renée, I'm sorry for the problems you're having with Bravenet and I hope things get better soon. I appreciate all you're doing to maintain this wonderful site .

TY for your support, Maria Teresa, I really had a bad day because of it. Let's hope their problems will soon be solved. I have chapters to upload, drabbles, new book recommendations...

R~

Oh no Renée :( hope things work themselves out soon, I have a feeling you're getting really stressed :(

Thanks Maria Teresa :) I am happy you like it. That last drabble does have a happy ending!

That last drabble does have a happy ending!

I'm glad, Mel, I need it!

But don't worry, my dear, I'll cope! hee hee

My dears, the page is up again, including yours dear Mel.

Renée <-- happy again!

Oops, forgot the link

Thank you very much Renée!

I'm a little late but I wanted to say that was wonderful Bambu! I'm so excited to see you here! I follow your HP work and I can't wait to see what you do in JA!

Great drabbles Mel! You've done a wonderful job! Hope to see more from you soo!

In a writing mood... hope it's ok that I've been posting a bit too often :)

---
A Decent Rousing

He stirred, burrowing deeper into the covers. His right hand reached out – splayed fingers seeking warmth – then curled into a fist when it met nothing but thick cotton. William awoke instantly, pulling the blankets to his naked body as he sat up, squinting in the dimness of his room.

His clock read 6am. Had he imagined the previous night’s events? ‘No,’ he thought, feeling a wave of pleasure wash over him as he recognized her faint scent still lingering on the sheets. He was briefly tempted to bury his nose in the rumpled layers, surrounding him with her sweet smell, when he realized he would much rather his nose be nuzzling various parts of her warm womanly body. He had made up his mind to get up when he heard movement in the hallway, and he remained perfectly still, holding his breath as the door opened.

Elizabeth’s face broke into a shy smile upon seeing him awake. She perched on the edge of the bed nearest him, and he leaned forward to nestle his nose just below her right ear.

She sighed softly as he claimed her mouth in a rough kiss, her voice a bare whisper.

“Good morning… ”

Mel, my dear, how lovely! I'm just up and what a good start of the day. I will post as soon as possible.

Lovely, lovely, Mel!! Thanks!!!

Thank you Renée, Maria Teresa!

I know I promised to write one a long time ago, but now I've finally done it. I hope you all enjoy this little tidbit.

~~~~~

The Look

Lizzy was uncertain which she wished more - that Darcy appear in the drawing room, or that he stay at the river with the gentlemen. She had just convinced herself of the former when he entered and the atmosphere became alarmingly strained. Elizabeth felt the suspicion of all upon them and wished he had not come. He, seemingly oblivious, chose a nectarine from the table, and bit into it.

The lush fruit burst as his teeth broke the flesh. Despite her unease, Lizzy's fine eyes were drawn to the droplet of juice that glistened upon his lips. He bit into it again. Over the blushing curve of the nectarine's cheek his eyes met hers. They held for a long, heartstopping moment that she had no wish to break. Darcy completed his bite and tilted the fruit towards her in a gesture that could only mean one thing.

In response, Lizzy plucked a grape from the overflowing arrangement and slipped it between her teeth, breaking it before her lips met.

The heightened intensity of his gaze, and the feelings it instilled in her, overbore all other considerations. She was more than glad he had come.

Caroline was of another mind entirely.

Gosh, Sofie, this is so sensual! Beautiful, I love it, I could almost taste it and the vibrations between the too... ahhhh *heartbeat* *faint*

Thank you for sharing this gem with us. Will post it on the appropriate page as soon as possible!

Sofie's drabble has been posted, my dears. You'll find it on the Drabbles' page

The Look by Sophie

Sophie, I loved your short. Like I told Renee, I have always loved nectarines but now, I will have a new appreciation for them. Thanks! Cindy

Sofie, I can't wait for you to write a more complete scene, as it is, after reading your drabble, my imagination is running wild (and filled with nectarines, Darcy and Lizzy in a locked room). Eek!

Renee, Cindy, and Mel - Thanks so much - I'm glad you liked it.

I've always liked nectarines too, but after this I think they'll take on a special meaning ;)

What can I say? Simply wonderful! Thanks.

Sofie!

What a sexy piece of writing "The Look" is. Brava!

Wrote a silly little drabble the other day, didn't really know where to post it, hopefully it's welcome here:) Thank you Renèe for this lovely site, I'm not big on comments but have been a faithful reader for quite some time and am absolutely addicted to everything here:) Anyways, here goes:

"Compromised"

The plan was perfect. She wondered why she’d never thought of it before. Yes, she’d go through with it, despite the storm outside and those dreary Bennets and their insipid cousin staying for the night. She’d seen how Darcy looked at Elizabeth Bennet and knew she had to act now.

So she waited until the house was quiet, got up and slipped into the hallway. It was dark. She almost turned back to get a candle but decided against it - someone might see her. Besides, she was sure she knew the way.

Soon she was behind The Door. She breathed deeply. Everything she wanted was just a few steps away. Slowly, she opened the door and stepped inside. She made her way to the bed and slipped under the covers. She could hear Him breathing. She smiled. All she needed to do now was to scream. Someone would come in and see them and the rest of her plan would work itself out effortlessly. So simple.

She screamed.

The man beside her stirred but before he could light the candle the door opened and Charles rushed in.

“Caroline?! What on Earth are you doing in bed with Mr. Collins?!”

Anniina, thank you for your entry! A perfect example of the biter bit, right?! Ick, finding one's self in Collins's bed! How will she explain she got there... ?Such a dumb woman!

Will post it on the appropriate page, asap.

Anniina, could you please send an e-mail to renee@mrsdarcy.com? Thanks

FYI: The drabble of our friend from Finland, Anniina, has been posted on the special drabbles page.

I'm thrilled to announce that my very talented LJ friend Bambu has written another little gem of a drabble.

You can find it here... "On the Cusp"

And... a little birdie whispered in my ear that this drabble might be the prelude to a short story featuring Darcy and Lizzy as a married cuople of a day!

So, dear friends, tell Bambu what you think, and encourage her to write her vignette!

Mrs Darcy cannot wait!

wonderful

Dear Bambu,
I loved your little drabbles, and this one was excellent! Are you going to develop it into a whole little nice story? That'd be awsome! Please, keep working on it, you really have a wonderful talent.

Ángeles

Hi Bambu,

I am following Mrs Darcy's instructions, it was easy to follow the first, to enjoy your wonderfull little Drable, who could have thought so much could be expressed in so few words! Which I think means I have expressed my delight, all that is to be done now is to encorage you to continue with it. Pretty please! ;)

I have jsut been reading the drabbles. Very nice! They all pack so much meaning into a short space. Nectatine juice on Darcy....sheer poetry!

Mrs Darcy has just posted a new drabble... Enjoy Lizzy's musings in "Those Eyes" by Ángeles!

Ángeles, that was lovely. I am glad she felt that "promise of love" upon seeing him and could feel hopeful.

Thank you Lucy for your kind words, and also thank you to Mrs Darcy for publishing my little drabble in this wonderful site. This is my first attempt at writing fanfic in English. I know I can't reach the level of most of the writers here, so seeing my little piece of writing "in print" is more than I ever dreamt of. Once again, THANK YOU.

Ángeles

You're welcome, my dear.

Remember, practice makes perfect!

There are quite a few authors who are non-native speakers of English: Eli, Carthia, Andie, Belén and yours truly. Tanya is Russian, but lives in the US, so I suppose she could be called a native speaker of English.

Anyway, with an interesting premise, a fair amount of imagination, writing talent and, last but not least, the invaluable help from the betas, one can come up with a lovely piece of fanfiction!

Thank you for your encouragement, Renée. Hugs,

Ángeles

Hi Renee,
Love your site! You are fantastic! I have over 900 P&P fan fiction stories downloaded since I started the addiction in 2006. Hope to contribute to the community too. This is my second attempt in fan fiction (first one was lost in the computer). My English grammar is not the best but hope you and others like it. It is continuing a wip story I read from fanfiction.net. Since I added my twist, I hope the author wouldn't mind as I haven't seen him/her posting the ending. Enid

Dancing with a Stranger

Thanks for tuning in! Last week we introduced a twist. Our remaining celebrities William and George who danced with Ann and Elizabeth respectively for seven weeks switched their partners.

“We saw your shocked reactions when we announced the switch. Was it because William have said you only had a ‘tolerable figure’?”

“Pure gossip! William felt uncomfortable dancing with a stranger. I was just preoccupied with strategies to help him”

“Dancing is like making love! Let’s see if William can make love with Elizabeth the stranger in a sensual rumba.”

The light in the studio dimmed. William trembled when Elizabeth wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed every inches of her body to him.

How wrong was the presenter, William thought! He had dreamed about making love to Elizabeth since episode two, even though that disgusting George held her body every week.

The switch was fate! William could feel her soft curves, fragrant lavender smell and spicy hot breaths during rehearsals and had endless cold showers afterwards. Tonight she was wearing a tiny red number that made his blood run riot. William was ready to make hot sensual love with Elizabeth tonight, in front millions of TV audiences and afterwards!

1 2