Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Long, Strange Trip by Ellen G

Tell Ellen what you think of her latest gem: "A Long, Strange Trip"

Re: A Long, Strange Trip by Ellen G

That was greatness Ellen! I laughed out loud. Too bad something more couldn't have come from it...you continue to surprise us, don't you?

Good grief, Ellen, where do you come up with these stories? This was brilliant. I could just see Caroline's expression when being called a "witch" and a "scarecrow"! Thanks for keeping me so well entertained.

I kid you not, tears were running down my cheeks this morning!

Brilliant indeed. Your imagination knows no boundaries, dear Ellen.

Thanks, ladies! I felt it would be entertaining if the characters who lived their lives observing all the strict rules of propriety found themselves loosened up a little by something more mind-bending than alcohol. I considered ergot poisoning, but its effects were too serious. Then when I found the note about psychedelic mushrooms at Wikipedia, it had the right time frame and locale (1799 London? Who knew?), and I thought, why not?

It was so worth reading Caroline's reaction! And Darcy & Lizzy...my my how was it that they "gravitated towards one another..even while higher than a kite". Brilliant!

Well, my good friend. This is the most delightful and sexy piece I have read in a loooong time. I really thought I would not find something better after I read your fantabulous "Lesson and Return" but here it is. It is simply a braiwave. Superb. I say...what else do you have in store? Will you be able to surpass yourself yet again? Oh! I am green with envy at your ideas!

Very good - I laughed and giggled too! And *cough* I can attest to the authenticity of the yawning...

Thanks,

Julie

Lol, Ellen I must say you continue to delight me.
I don't normally like short stories, but you just seem to give them the best elements.

I love that, long strange trip indeeds, will you ever evolve it into something more? even better, something happen at rosing this time, but off course we can't lay the blame on magic mustrooms again.

I really love that last three short stories too. Darcy, hum....

Look forward to read the next short stories from you, and hopefully something more serious and equally as good, if not better than 'His Brother Keeper' & 'The Worst that can Happen'.

Ellen, I just love all your stories! And this one is one strange tale indeed but fabulous ! Your imagination simply knows no bound

Thanks again, everyone!

what else do you have in store? Will you be able to surpass yourself yet again?

The real question, Eli, is whether I can surpass YOU!

And *cough* I can attest to the authenticity of the yawning...

LOL! Julie! I was wondering if I got any of it right. I somehow managed to live through the '60s, '70s and '80s without having smoked, snorted, ingested, injected, popped or inhaled anything, so I had to rely on that one Wikipedia article for background! I don't know -- should they have gotten "the munchies" too?

will you ever evolve it into something more? even better, something happen at rosing this time

Hmmmmm, that would be fun, wouldn't it? I'll keep that in mind These short stories are a hoot. But I'd really love to write another full-length story...if I can come up with something worthy of Mrs. Darcy's!

I definitely enjoyed this story. Poor Caroline--to be the only sober one in room full of happy stoners. :)

I'm glad to see Darcy and Elizabeth had such fun, and hope to see more stories from you about them in the future.

Ellen, Ive had a trying week, which went badly wrong yesterday with a house fire that destroyed the family kitchen and utility. Today, back at work and wishing I were home to sort out the mess I decided to read a short story that I hoped would make me laugh. Yours was perfect, I enjoyed it very much indeed.

Thanks, I think I might see what else of yours I can read.
LisaJ

LisaJ:

I'm so sorry to hear how badly things are going right now, and I'm glad to have helped cheer you up in some small way.

Enjoy the other stories. Other than the first one I wrote, "Report from Longbourn," most of my stories have some element of humor in them. I hope things start to turn your way soon!

Hee hee....I thought I started to read some of your others, the Food of Love and the Lesson being shorts....then I remembered what they were about and decided that work, probably wasnt appropriate...at least not when my monitor is in full view!

I do enjoy your stories though, and will no doubt read them time and time again.

I've just reread this for the third time since first seeing it in 2007 and thought that I really should tell you that I enjoy it and not only enjoy it. I very much like your stories in general, but this one is just so quirky and funny, as well as creative, evocative and surprisingly sweet.
And, having been a San Francisco teenager in the late seventies, it does bring back some interesting memories, some of which are very close to the waterfall.
It's very impressive how clever you are in doing something like this in a way that rings so true both to its original context and characters and to our modern understanding, all the while with such a light (and pleasing ) touch.