Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Author
Comment
Re: The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

Thanks, everyone! Chapter 18 was in the middle of a major re-write, and then all the guests arrived...and well, I think I just need to dot some i's and cross some t's. Soon...

As much as I would love to see next chapter I know you might need to write it the way you want it to be. I always feel like a monster when I'm nagging the authors. But, you must know that I'm doing this only with the stories I really love and only with my favorite authoresses.
Patiently waiting,
SmileyCentral.com
Basia

Basia, my dear, you have no idea how much I like being bothered thus by you and the rest of the readers! As a matter of fact, I was just re-reading the chapter before sending it off to Renee for posting. Your patience will be rewarded!

Here you go, my dears, chapter 18 is up!

Dear Lord, Ellen it was truly heartbreaking. Dr Hampton is even more terrifying than I thought him to be. Manipulator under the mask of a nice man.
He surely spent a lot of time planning this scheme. And he certainly succeeded. I just hope – not for long.
Oh mine, I prefer not to think of what is going to happen next.
SmileyCentral.com
Basia

The Doctor is, quite simply, a pathetic beast!!!

Oh, Ellen, you just made a few more gray hairs pop out on the top of my head. Post again soon before I go completely gray. Thanks for sharing.

Holy Cow!!! That was unexpected. Mr. Hampton is NOT a nice man, at the least an incredibly selfish one. Poor Elizabeth and poor Mr Darcy...please make this right soon.

The good doctor is killing me. He has a lot of nerve. Can't wait to read more and find out if the surgery works. Thanks, Ellen.

Ellen,

Oh what a horrible decision Elizabeth has had to face! I cannot believe the gall of the Doctor to blackmail Elizabeth into marrying him. But at least Elizabeth was smart enough to ask to see proof of his work afterwards! At least he can't just pretend to do the work. This Doctor has become a truly mean man! Please post again soon!

LOL! If you think Mr. Hampton is "terrifying" and "a pathetic beast" now, you should have read the original version! (It was fierce -- He was practically twirling his mustache like a silent movie villain about to tie poor Nell to the train tracks, and it was suggested that I tone it down a bit!)

He is, at the very least, somewhat conflicted about what he's doing...even if he is being a selfish louse.

I adore this story and was so excited to see another chapter!

Bad, Bad Dr.Hampton!! Blackmailing Lizzy and forcing her to accept him by hanging this over her head. I can't wait until she gets to Pemberley. Please assure us that this will turn out all right!!

What a beast Hampton is! For a man with a dedicated profession, he was a great disappointment! Well, now i am in all anticipation for Darcy to retaliate!

Whew! That Hampton needs a lesson in ethics. vile man!

Mr. Bennet's evident pleasure in Hampton's arrival scared me--must have given Lizzy the heebiejeebies.

But will the plan at least get her to Pemberley?
I would wish that Jane tells Lizzy the facts of her conversation with Darcy--she's just hinted so far IIRC. Knowing the truth of Darcy's feelings and intentions for her would give her the strength she will undoubtedly need to fight against Hampton and her parents.

Excellent scary job, Ellen!

I forgot to comment on Hampton's statement that he'd take care of her for the rest of her life. Since he's at least 23 years older than Lizzy, he's lying unless he expects *her* to die young like his darling Matilda. grrrr

Oh my goodness! Just when I was only disliking Mr. Hampton he's now jumped to the top of my sh*t list! Does he really think he's being a worthy gentleman by blackmailing his "beloved" into an engagement? I am Most Displeased!

Now, the fact that they'll be going to Pemberley and playing on Darcy's turf is making me Quite Happy. C'mon Darcy!!!

WOW! THE DOCTOR IS QUITE A PIECE OF WORK. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER.

Dear Ellen,

Do you realize that every next chapter is bringing more and more anxiety? I don’t even know when it started, when I began to think “OK, but next chapter cannot be more scary than this one” or “OK, with the next one we’re gonna have some relief”. And what? Nothing like that. Every next chapter is scarier, more terrifying and more shocking.

Mr. Bennet – shame on you! Do you really seriously think your favorite one can be happy with Dr. Blackmail? Mrs. Bennet – do you really think this is what your daughter needs? Oops, I forgot – you don’t really care.

I admit I underestimated Dr. Blackmail. I knew he will come back, but he won’t reveal all at once. His immediate action really hit me unprepared. But surely his plan is arranged with a great care.

What worries me know is that Lizzy – even if she said she wants to see how the surgery works – seems like she gave up. Sacrifice herself for Darcy’s sake is more than touching, but I would like to see her fight for her happiness. Especially now, when she admitted to herself she loves him. And I am pretty sure Darcy would be really angry if he learnt that he recovered sight for such a price.

Another thing that makes me shaking is a surgery itself. One has to be most calm and composed to operate on an eye. I would prefer it was someone else who is doing this. I don’t trust here Dr. Blackmail – I’m not saying he would purposely hurt Darcy, but I just don’t think is able to be cool at the moment.

Great work Ellen. Please, don’t let us suffer long.

Basia

That vindictive, blackmailing rat!!

I hope Darcy tells him no...No...NO!!! I don't trust Hampton at all. This is bad.

Poor Elizabeth was delivered a terrible blow, as well. News of Darcy's supposed 'engagement' delivered by his own rival. I feel ill right along side her.

Ellen, I'm sad, can you make it better please?

I hate that Dr. Hampton! Please get Lizzy out of this mess soon!

Oh no he didn't! GAHHHHH!!! WTF GAHHHHH!!! Re: The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

Oh no he didn't! GAHHHHH!!! WTF GAHHHHH!!!

Put a fork in me 'cause I'm done. I can't take anymore.

STEVIEB

Yes Ellen Dr. Blackmail suits OLD Hampton just right, that OLD SO & SO!!!! I sure would NOT trust this man to operate on any of my loved ones. And Lizzy yes what a sacrifice she is willing to make for the man she loves, but I would have thought her to be more astute to this mans intentions given the proposition he made to her. Ellen you've just got to help Lizzy see the light.

Oh, Ellen, how can you do this to us? I hope that despite Elizabeth's tender heart, her sharp wit will tell her soon that if Dr. Hampton can perform this surgery, so can other doctors, and that he shouldn't be let near Mr. Darcy with a scalpel! Not to mention whether she really wants to be married to the kind of man who would blackmail her that way. What happens the next time she doesn't want to follow his instructions?

Abigail

Ellen, okay here's what you do....let Lizzy tell Jane all of the blackmail plan of Dr. H and then Jane tells Darcy and/or Richard....and believe me it will lead to end of Dr. H's stronghold!!! Good plan, please relieve our suffering!!! Can you repost soon!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That blackmailing bas....uh, jerk!

Please, please tell us that Lizzy will be delivered quickly from his evil plans!

It was bad enough when he was just old! Then he was old and a liar! Now he is old, a liar, and a blackmailer! He is probably randy too! Yucky!

Lorena

Oh Ellen how could you? Gaaahhh

Well, Darcy has far too much sense surely, despite his fear for the future, to let this man loose on his eyes! (shudder at the mere thought) Nor would Richard let him, I hope!

Dr Hampton is vile. And Mr Bennet! How COULD he? LOL (He and Mrs B in harmony like that is something I would not like to see too often, it's almost as disturbing as the doctor's scheming!) ;)

Poor, poor Elizabeth... well, I live in hope that Darcy's eyesight will start to naturally return before this dreadful event takes place (the surgery, that is) ... perhaps it's somewhat psychological... then there will be no need for Dr Hampton to perform it and therefore his bargain with Elizabeth is over and she will be free - especially as no one was privy to their conversation, and with no witnesses it will be one word against another!

(Just let me believe that for now, it gives me some peace of mind!)

Actually, aside from peace of mind, I'd love Darcy to have regained 'some' of his sight unbeknownst to Elizabeth... would love to find out his thoughts on being able to actually observe her (okay, that sounds a bit stalker craxy, but I'm sure you know what I mean!)

Love your story Ellen. And despite my ramblings am very much looking forward to wherever YOU choose to take us on this one! Looking forward to more.

Sandra

I was ever so curious how story would continue after the last cliffhanger, and now this! For all the turmoil dredged up here I must say I love the direction you're heading Ellen. Each chapter brings something new and unexpected, but fitting to the story.

I too think Jane will be told of some/all of this, but not soon enough (we must have some drama after all). First things first--get Elizabeth to Pemberley, let Darcy show her he still cares for her. She'll certainly be confused about his alleged engagement, but that will come clear eventually. Mr. Bennet should be ticked when he learns how Dr. Blackmail went about securing Elizabeth's hand. My biggest worry is the doctor doing Darcy's delicate surgery. In the meantime we've still got Wickham wandering around and the Colonel misunderstanding who Darcy likes. So much to keep us readers happy!

So much to keep us readers happy!

I do my best!

Another chapter is geared up and will be ready to go after it gets the Seal of Approval & Angst from my dear friend Elena.

Another chapter is geared up and will be ready to go after it gets the Seal of Approval & Angst

Ellen dear,

I'm willing to read new chapter even if it doesn't get this Seal of A&A

Basia

Well, dearest Basia and all other fans, here it is. A new chapter for you to enjoy... Very interesting developments, I promise you!

chapter 19

Very interesting developments, I promise you!

That’s so true. Excellent chapter.

I don’t know how long I will able to cope with all this angst and tension, but I just can’t stay away.

In a few minutes I’m off to my hair-dresser. I’m sure she can do something about all those grey hairs that appeared on my head after I have started reading “The Eye of the Beholder”.

I’m happy Elizabeth at Pemberley, not only because of the obvious hope she and Mr. Darcy will have an opportunity to talk, but also because it means she can be away from her parents. In truth, I was never fond of Mr. Bennet, but in this story he is really getting on my nerves.

If the Colonel knows which of the Bennet sisters the one is – it would be so much easier. But of course Ellen you don’t want anything to be easy for them, do you?

Do I see slight Ann’s interest in Dr. Blackmail?
Good that Lizzy told Jane everything – even if Jane won’t be able to help openly, Lizzy is not alone in her misery.

And last but not least – I know it would be too good too be true that it is Mr. Darcy who came, but I’m going to stay with this naïve hope till next heartbreaking chapter.

I have been slowly reading through 'Eye of the Beholder', and enjoying it immensely. It is written so beautifully, and with such Regency style, that it just flows perfectly. The plot itself is most engaging, and you have me desperately wondering what is going to happen - I look forward to reading the rest of this, and of course, some of your other work too.

Stacey, I'm so happy to see you here as well. Happy reading, my dear!

I do love this story. I also noticed Anne's interest in "Dr. Blackmail" and can see a ray of hope there. I hope it's Darcy at the door. I'm sure he felt that Elizabeth had more to say when she was interrupted by Georgiana. I am also glad E confided in Jane. She needs her support and maybe, since Jane and Mr. Darcy have had some interaction, she will be able to help E. The Colonel needs to open his eyes. PLEASE post soon! Cindy

Please let it be Darcy who walks thru the door! What a great way to foil Dr. Hampton's plan... D & E would have to marry if they were caught in a scandal. I can't wait for your next chapter!

Like the others, I hope that it is Darcy who knocked on Elizabeth's door, and I hope that he heard her conversation with Jane. Actually, I hope that whoever knocked is anyone else but Mr. Hampton, that horrible blackmailer. He is no gentleman at all! I've read all of your stories here, Ellen, and I love them all.

THE RESTORATIVE POWER OF HMS--The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

Great chapter but good lord Ellen! GAH! GAH!

Oh!! OK what if it is Darcy at the door and as a result of E&D having . . . hrummph . . . HMS, Darcy's eye sight is restored! Do you feel me? Anyone like where my head is at? Oh well just an idea.

STEVIEB

I'm with StevieB...PLEASE make it Darcy or anyone other than Mr. Blackmail! Even Georgiana would be good then she could find out the truth and help the lovers somehow..maybe she could tell the Colonel and he would never let Dr. Scumbag take Lizzy from Darcy!!
PLEASE give us hope...the surgery alone has me all goosepimply! Love this story!

Frances

Meh! Poor Elizabeth! To have an "understanding" with such a Man! Who's knocking at her door???

Please don't let that be Dr. Hampton at the door! The angst is getting too strong, and I need some True Love (tm) to offset it! Or some premarital lovin' between Darcy and Lizzy. Or least a little humor.

Please? (puts on best puppy dog eyes for Ellen G.)

Please let that be Darcy at the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited! Please post again soon!!

Glad everyone is so excited about the story! And a special welcome to those who have not posted on my boards before.

OK what if it is Darcy at the door and as a result of E&D having . . . hrummph . . . HMS, Darcy's eye sight is restored!

Wow, that would be some kind of miracle, StevieB! (The kind we all like a great deal!)

Well, I'm not promising HMS (at least not yet!) , but I'm sure everyone will find something to like in Chapter 20.

Oh, Ellen, I cannot wait.
Though I agree, that anyone will do apart from Dr Blackmail, I'm afraid that the only hope for E not being bound to marry the doctor would be to have D informed before the operation, so that he could give up on it for her sake.
But we don't have much time for him being informed (so please let it be him at the door and allow them to actualy speak - HMS can wait for later)...
The additional reason why I'm in favour of this scenario of not performing the operation is that I don't trust this laughing gas!

Oh Ellen! Another chapter? How soon will it post? I am to thrilled about it! Great story! Who is at the door? Please, can it be Darcy?

Gads! What a muddle! I was so pleased that Elizabeth was finally able to confide in Jane, though. Mr. Hampton's blackmail is far too great a burden for Elizabeth to bear on her own. He should marry Anne who hangs on his every word and who would probably consider it liberation to be so far from her managing mother. And poor Darcy being worn ragged by the haranguing of his aunt....has no one the back bone to ask her to leave? Heck, blame the convalescent's need for peace to heal, I don't care, just get her OUT of there!

So...who could be at Elizabeth's door? The timid knocking would make me think perhaps Georgiana (or Anne??) but the progressively bolder knocking puts me in mind of Darcy. It's the waiting that is so darn hard, Ellen! LOL

Man I love this story!

Ellen, WOW what a cliffhanger! Now if it's not Darcy, I'll be extremely disappointed, but somehow I think it might be Georgiana Darcy.

Well at least she managed to tell Jane everything that is going on. At least someone else could intervene for her in case Elizabeth cannot. When will they tell Darcy about Jane being engaged to Bingley?

I agree with others too, I would much rather Darcy not have the operation, just so Dr. Evil can't hold anything over Elizabeth. If he does the surgery, then Elizabeth will definitely feel obligated, since he held up his end of the bargain.

PLEASE, PLEASE post again soon!

Brandy

Oh please let it be Darcy sneaking into Elizabeth's chambers!! I could poison that quack. You've woven quite the spell Ellen and I for one, am totally mesmerized. I can't wait to read what happens next. Great stuff.

ACK! Who's at the door?? Ellen G, you are too cruel to leave us with one hand on the doorknob!

Can't wait for next time - I love your story!

~leanne

Ellen, that was an incredibly wonderful and awful place to leave off! I can't wait for more of this! I do hope it is not Mr. Hampton at the door. I hate him and his evil ultimatum. Blackmail is a better word! Please let it be Darcy or Georgiana!!! I am excited to get more details.

6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15