Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

Welcome back, Splatt! Hope everything went smoothly. To be frank, there's nothing I like less than moving house! And so long without an internetconnection... what a nightmare!

I Love It, I Love It, I Really Love your new story. The comment Lizzy made about the cow dressed up was greet. And Darcy what has happened to him? Please we must have more. Great Job Ellen G

I like this beginning. I love a mysterious man especially when the man is Mr. Darcy.

Wow Ellen...very nice start to your story. So Darcy does not have his eyesight...will it be permanent? I wonder what happened to him? Will he learn to love Elizabeth without reference to the obstacles of her family now that he may be humbled because of his condition? Will Elizabeth love him back? Fantastic beginning...I can't wait for more!

- Sharon

Welcome! Glad everyone's enjoying the story. I promise a new chapter soon that will reveal more!

Ellen always keeps her promises... Chapter 3 is up, dear readers. Enjoy!

Oh Ellen,
I'm sure Caroline and Louisa will educate Darcy fully on Elizabeth's family and connections. I like that the doctor can create a love triangle. Can't wait for the next chapter. Thanks! Cindy

I would have never guessed such a plausible & sensible explanation to Darcy's "infirmity". Excellent chapter...you touched upon Mr. Darcy's instant attraction to Lizzy...Lizzy's implusive jump to judge & misunderstand...Miss B's devious mind...but adding a new dimension in Mr. Hampton. Could he be a rival for Lizzy's affections? Will his attraction to Lizzy cause him to lessen his medical care of Darcy? Oh, how the plot thickens..thanks Ellen!

Ladies and Gents, I've got the title a bit wrong in the subject bar, but unfortunately I cannot edit it.

The title of the story is "Eye of the Beholder" and Not "The Eye... etc."

Sorry, Ellen! I've fixed it everywhere else on the site.

Lovely new chapter! The only problem I have is that after every new chapter is posted I immediately want more!

It must be hard for D though, with his sense of sight impaired, aren't all his other senses heightened? That must make Miss Bingley even more bothersome than usual. I also begin to wonder what will happen once E leaves Netherfield. D didn't want people to know of his presence so I'm looking forward to finding out if he (or Mr. Bingley on his behalf) asks E (and her sister) to keep mum about it, or will it be out in the open?

I'm also wondering what Miss Bingley will say about the Bennets and how Darcy will react to it, especially after the scene in the library!

Eagerly awaiting more Ellen! Thank you for such a lovely story!

Ohh, so many good questions and suppositions!

I have only two words for you:

Chapter 4.

Hmmm...how kind of Miss Bingley to make it her mission to set Darcy straight on the Bennet family. 'Boo - hiss'....the witch.

I find it enchanting that Darcy is so attracted to Elizabeth without the benefit of seeing her 'fine eyes'...obviously the attraction is on a deep, intuitive level. I like that.

Perhaps Darcy can talk Elizabeth into reading to him? Taking him for walks? Just to aid him in his recovery of course.

I love it!

This was a joy to read, and I cannot wait for more. I really did smile at the doctor having to describe her physical appearance to Darcy LOL. How like a man, Mr Darcy, to want to know that so soon!! LOL

Loved his farewell, kissing her hand. Loved the nods to the book scenes etc. All in all, loved it. Cannot wait for more! Great twist on a well loved tale!

Lovely new chapter! The only problem I have is that after every new chapter is posted I immediately want more!

We are on the same boat.

I like your idea - of making D ill before he mer E. I have never read such fanfic before, and was all anticipation after chapter 2, but am a bit disappointed by chapter 3, as - despite changed circumstances - things unfold the same way they did in P&P by JA.
The indication of doctor's interest in E also do not make me hold my breath for the next chapters.
But we will see :) Perhaps you have some idea for this story that will surprise us :)
What I dislike here is Darcy questioning his doctor as to E's looks - I find it really out of character for Darcy - blind or not - as is his slighting Caroline.
What I really hoped for after chapter 2 was, I suppose, reversing of the situation a bit: Caroline not seeking him out, but instead ashamed of him or something, and E more favourable inclined torwards him... That would be interesting turn of events...
Enough of my rambling.
Waiting for your next chapter
Ole

What I dislike here is Darcy questioning his doctor as to E's looks - I find it really out of character for Darcy - blind or not - as is his slighting Caroline.

I don't see why that would be out of character -- apart from the fact that fanfiction is meant to be different than the original. A doctor is a person with whom you have a confidential relationship. Darcy is intrigued, his handicap prevents him from judging by himself, so he asks his doctor... I love it, and the way Ellen has the doctor reply so amusing!

Furthermore, I'm afraid we cannot guide an author in his/her plot development, it's entirely up to him or her, however much we --hypothetically -- would like to see it go in a different direction, right?

I was under the (false) impression that dr.Hampton is older... Nevermind, now I don't like him at all !LOL
I suspect though that Caroline would notice his admiration and will try to 'foreward' the match if only to have Darcy free....
It is interesting to see how Elizabeth is mixed in her interpretation of his character: I thought at first that she would put everything on the unhappy circumstances: He is not feeling noble at all. He feels cheated. , but it seems she saw more flaws than that.

I liked that the explanation was not unnecessarily overdramatical, but I was dissapointed in its ulterior meaning: we will STILL have a Wickham coming to Hertfordshire, it seems...

I found Darcy's inquires quite natural ! I am sure he would have asked about quite anyone new, he would want to know to whom he is speaking !
I wonder what would he find now to admire in Elizabeth's if not her bewitching eyes ! Should be her voice ? Her laughter ?

Chapter 4, you say, dear Ellen ? By all means, bring it on !

Mihaela:

Your first impression of Mr. Hampton was correct. He is considerably older; in chapter two, I identified him as being "about five-and-forty." But just because he's Mr. Bennet's age, doesn't mean he can't be interested!

But just because he's Mr. Bennet's age, doesn't mean he can't be interested!

Oh definitely, my handsome father is 87 and still appreciates a good looking woman! I can't help having eyes to see, he says...

Thanks, ladies! It's really great to see how everyone is on board with this concept...once you all realized that Darcy still has his looks!

Well, yeah. P&P isn't fanfiction isn't as much fun if we can't swoon about Darcy's looks when we put ourselves in Lizzy's place.

I'm enjoying the story so far, and I must agree with some of the other posters that the 'cow' put-down is my favorite line so far. Pure genius!

Oh definitely, my handsome father is 87 and still appreciates a good looking woman! I can't help having eyes to see, he says...

Naughty papy ! LOL
Oh, Renée this is precious !

But thank you, Ellen, for reassuring me - I should perhaps have gone and checked myself - though I am usually rather ..ahem... attentive to potential Darcy rivals....
Btw, is he unmarried ? Would he become a target for Mrs Bennet ?

Ellen
I enjoyed Chapter 3 very much. I think you captured very well Darcy's natural impatience with his circumstances. Just think, he can't avoid Miss Bingley by writing to his sister or claiming 'an important matter of business'! Poor man. No wonder he was nearly snapping at her. That said, Lizzy seems to be not entirely wrong in her view of Darcy, although she's not so very charitable (and I think she would be very ashamed of herself if in fact he was found to be permanently blind). She is not realizing that his disability prevents him from carrying out his serious responsibilities via post for Pemberley, not just his amusements. But of course, she can hardly know anything of his position in the world, as there's been no gossip in Meryton.
Will Lizzy be asked to remain quiet about Darcy's presence or is he giving up his incognito? (Please tell me that if Mrs. Bennet shows up, he's safely elsewhere--the secret will be over for certain !_)

I do wonder about Hampton's musing on Lizzy. Did you put that in to worry your readers ( ) or just to set up his ability to answer Darcy's questions about her?

Please post again soon!
Margaret

So...Darcy wasn't at the Assembly, so he didn't have the opportunity to offend her with his "tolerable" comment. (Nor, as others have noticed, is he able to admire her fine eyes.) And now, from Hampton's description, Darcy comes up with "a very satisfying image" in his mind.

Can't wait to see Darcy's reaction when (surely it's "when" and not "if") he sees her for the first time, after he (hopefully) gets to know her!

I love their 1st meeting! It sounds very promising, esp with Darcy's favourable impression of Lizzy, and the potential of another man's interest. I am looking forward to Caroline's devious plan and how Darcy will response!

Ellen, your work is facinating. I feel comfortable in starting a new WIP with your name attached to it since you post so reliably.

What an interesting premise. Obviously Darcy has formed opinions on Elizabeth based on their "meeting" in the library. He "stares" at her even without his normal vision. Elizabeth already senses his pride but doesn't understand his sense of shame or loathing of perceived pity.

I look forward to more! And soon!!!

Wendy

About Caroline's intention to prejudice Darcy against Lizzy because of her connections: I can't imagine that they will be as successful as she supposes, because he already knows, from Lizzy's rant in the library, that her family may be problematic. My sense is that he might be curious as to what about them could hold the loyalty/affections of such an intriguing young lady. Of course, it may be, that, as usual, Mrs. Bennet manages to defeat any interest he might have in Lizzy. sigh

Love this story!

who is the eyes and who is the holder?
who shoot my darling darcy?
how could she see him handsome behind all those bandages? and yet, think him disagreeable?
so, will she stay away from the library? or will she carries on reading anyway?

miss bingley certainly still not adverse to darcy tempting fortune.

wanna read more, hope you update again soon
one of these days, darcy could do well earsdropping in on lizzy & jane

hanghnu

No one shot Darcy. There was an accident with his gun and it exploded, injuring his face. This was the age when firearms were loaded by pouring powder down the barrel and then tamping down the ball (bullet)in place. (Usually servants would load the guns and hand them off to the gentlemen to use.)

Margaret

Ellen

I just wanted to thank you for yet another incredible story. I've been following this one, by checking constantly the site for new updates.

Having Darcy temporarily blind although a sad situation does add an interesting enchantement to this story. The heightening of all his other senses brings a feeling of trusting and sensuality.

Thank you

Diana

P.S: I've re-read Hunsford revisited and ... wow!

I'm so enjoying this! I loved the conversation with the doctor asking about what Elizabeth looks like, etc. Very good! Can't wait for more!

Thanks,

Julie

Thanks everyone! And a special thank-you to Margaret, for clearing up the confusion about the accident. I haven't had time to go into the forum lately, and it's nice to know you're looking out for me!

Hangnhu,
Girl, you make me laugh with your comments! I wish I could see your face when reading the stories, with all the misunderstandings and confusion the language affords you! Eventually, I trust you will come out with an excellent English language level! For one, dearest , behold does not nean exactly "hold" but "see". It is an idiomatic expression:"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", which is similar to " Beauty is only skin deep". Boths expressions ,mean that each of us can find beauty in a person regardless of his/her looks.

Ellen has something with these idiomatic expressions: Her story "His Brother's Keeper" taken after the famous lines Cain said to God when He asked him of his brother Abel's whereabouts(he had already killed him, mind you!) Cain answered:"Am I my brother's keeper?" Great choice.See, Ellen loves to make us think from the very beginning. Food for thought!!

Dear Ellen,
I admit you have spoilt us - but there is this habit now to expect a new cahpter every 3-4 days...
Please ? Could the Easter Bunny or Easter Bells or Easter Hen or whatever Easter Giftdistributor bring us a new chapter ?

and Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ellen, I love your story, with Darcy unable to see, surely Lizzy HAS TO be the one to help continue his favorite pastime..reading, she has to "read to him"!!
Can't wait for more chapters!

Mihaela, Theresa: Glad you're looking forward to more! Chapter 4 is done and is just being polished, so I will say, "soon."

Ellen I love your story or should I say stories. This one is even better than the last and I didn't think that would be possible. I am anxiously waiting for chapter 4. By the way I recommend your stories when ever anyone asks for suggestions. You are very talented.

Aw, Meg, you're making me blush. Thanks for putting in a good word for me!

Chapter 4 is up, my dears. Enjoy!

Ellen

Thank you for updating.

Caroline was evil as I've never seen her before. I'm glad Darcy did not believe her by one moment regarding Lizzy's lack of education. I'm appaled to see that Mr. Hampton does hold an interest in Lizzy :( Is this going to get angsty with both him and Darcy fighting for her attention? I hope not.

The walk in the garden was so sad... had Darcy not fell and embarrassed himself, wounding his own pride in front of Lizzy and all would be well :(

Thank you, Ellen, for the update !
Easter Bunny indeed..:-)

I think the doctor would -rather unwillingly - smooth somehow the things between D and E... I suppose Darcy would not yet venture visiting with neighbourhood, so he will get a glimpse about the Bennet thru dr Hampton's biased eye...
I won't speculate now as it is too early, but somehow I would wish Darcy's blindness to be of some duress... If Wickham is to come and pur his venom i Elizabeth's ears, who else than the good doctor to shield her rage and clear away her misconceptions ?
Yes, yes, contrary to almost anyone else, I do like the doctor !

Happy Easter !Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dear Ellen,
I am completely captivated by your story. Your characterisations are so precise and the language is a joy to read.
Many thanks!

Ellen,

You have done it again--original premise & excellent story. Loved Chapter 4.

Please post more chapters toute de suite.

Merci

StevieB

I also hope that Darcy's blindness of some duration. He is already quite captivated by her. It would interesting to see his affection blossom without ever having laid eyes on her.

I can't wait to see what he has to say for himself in the library.

As for the doctor, I can't help but like him, but if Darcy stops feeling sorry for himself long enough to lay on the charm and exhibit the most appealing parts of his character, then the doctor doesn't stand even the smallest chance.

Ellen, Thank you for such a wonderful story. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

Ellen, This story is so good. I don't believe I have read a story with Darcy suffering such a disability. And the way each person handles the situation is humbling too, except of course for Caroline. Happy Easter Ellen

I love that Darcy is extending his other senses to find out about the house and people around him. You can't keep a good Darcy down! They were making such headway until he fell. How embarassing to a gentleman of his character and background to fall on his face when he's already feeling quite vulnerable. If only Darcy can eventually overhear some of Caro's catty remarks about himself.

Is he going to regain his sight? The Dr. doesn't sound all that encouraged about one of his eyes. And his good looks? Ah well, they do say that beauty is in...

Wendy

The doctor is being very helpful, but his intentions towards Lizzy are sort of worrying. After all, she's not even half his age. Charlotte Lucas would be a better match for him, IMO.

Darcy's embarrassment & tantrum after his fall seems to me like something only a man would do--having his machismo threatened. A rational person would only consider the fall to be an accident that could happen to anyone. I hope that Lizzy sees his momentary weakness of character for what it is.

Love this story Ellen.

Margaret

Caroline's talk with Louisa disgusted me. What a witch!! She is soo evil, and mercenary to the extreme!

I was soo enjoying Liz's walk with Darcy. With the fall and his lashing out at her, it made me sad. I know Liz has a wonderful heart and will understand, right?

I feel for the Dr Hampton. Will he stepaside and promote his patient or will he be of his own mind. If he lost his wife 22 years ago, he is not a sring chickhen, surely he can see she needs someone young?

Thank you Ellen, I am enjoying this story.

Happy Easter

Stacy

Right ! I had quite forgotten I had something to say about the dear Caro's talk with Louisa!
I hope that someone heard them ! I cannot believe that you let Caro to dislay such consideration for Darcy's wealth ...uh..health for nothing....

Great chapter 4! I like the Dr., but if he's as captivated with Lizzy as he seems, I don't think he's going to just step aside and let Darcy have her. If I were to be devil's advocate, he may interfere just to further his cause! I agree with Margaret that Charlotte is more his speed. I would like to see Darcy regain his sight sooner than later because its not the eyesight, its his appearence that is most crucial I believe. Even when Lizzy didn't like him, she always felt he was handsome...if you take that element away, then he'll have to prove himself by his character. This is a great plot Ellen, Well Done!

It's great to know what everyone's thinking! Glad you're having a good time with the story!

Re: Caroline. I don't think she's being evil, I think she's just being her usual mercenary (and very practical) self. She's always wanted Mr. Darcy for his money and position, and to her, nothing has changed. (As for me, I am thinking that regardless of the outcome of his injury on his looks, he will still be the same in the dark )

Re: Mr. Hampton. He's been lonely for a long time. He's settled. He doesn't have parents to please. Why shouldn't he hook up with a healthy young thing?

Keep on readin'!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10