Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Post your favourite Mr Darcy picture here! :)

Here he is in costume, while playing the role of the Black Prince...Will he not be the perfect rascal to impersonate Fitzwilliam?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I could eat him!!!

I must say, Eli, that I barely acknowledged him in Vanity Fair, but he is HOT!

And what about James as Beau Brummel!

By the looks of it, he borrowed Colin's Mr Darcy outfit...

Here are your breeches, dear Eli!

Wow! He can fill those pretty well... Quoting from Lydia..."Let us go on him early before he is dressed and see what we can get..Mmmmm"SmileyCentral.com
I am most obliged!

He was a delicious Marc Anthony in Rome as well. Boy, he's so handsome!

I missed that movie...he must be the guy with the good legs someone mentioned in the Gardens...Indeed...he is my perfect British gentleman

I must say, Renee, I have never before been so fascinated watching a man get dressed!

I must confess, dear Ellen ,I'd much rather watch him doing just the opposite!SmileyCentral.com

I must confess, dear Ellen ,I'd much rather watch him doing just the opposite!>/i>

It probably didn't take 'm that long as get dressed either. When Beau Brummel dressed it was a sort of theatrical performance, people were allowed to watch if prepared to pay for it!

Renee,

Thanks for posting James Purefoy on YouTube. I knew he was hot but I didn't know he was working it like that. Wow!

. . .hmmm I think I may need to review Mr. Purefoy's resume and pick up some of his films. Mind you those film acquistions would only be for . . . research purposes.

STEVIEB

Just want to share with you all the following -- the first two minutes or so is absolutely delicious.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fUUu1fA8EwQ&mode=related&search=

I never entered “the who is the best Darcy” dialogue, which was common after the P&P film was released. But, on seeing the clip of James as Beau Brummel, for the first time I will finally share that while I enjoyed the film and, I in fact bought the DVD, it is my belief that: a) Matthew MacFadyen does not look like Darcy as described in the novel in that he is not classically handsome and b) he looked chunky, heavy in his clothes; his pants did not smoothly fit his leg because he has large thighs. James as Beau Brummel reminded me how the clothes for men of that period optimally should fit. Of course, we all know that "the Beau" was the leader of men's fashion. Colin Firth pulled it off because he has the perfect body type for the fashions but not all men can wear the fashions well.

Re the clothes designed for P&P the film, I did not feel they were comparable to the quality of, for example, Vanity Fair. The fashions in Vanity Fair were exquisite for both the men and women. So, putting aside the fact that Matthew does not have the slim body type that the men's fashions of that period required for a men to look their best, his clothes looked ill-fitting and not what one would expect to see on a wealthy man wearing the best tailored clothing. So, I have finally got that off of my chest.

Final thought on the matter of the Darcys--I did not mention above that Matthew did not fully act the part of Darcy in a manner that those who read the novel expect, because I assumed his kind of one dimensional portrayal was the director's fault and not the actors. I have liked Matthew in film and television productions so I won't fault him for portraying Darcy with little or no arrogance and conceit and more so having social anxiety disorder. Matthew's Darcy seemed to me to be a more sympathetic, soft, shy Darcy while Colin and Lawrence Olivier's were haughty/very aware of their rank in society and showed open disdain. Their Darcy was more true to the novel, which for us readers is always important. Olivier, who acknowledged he was displeased with the frothy Hollywood-esque film, portrayed his Darcy a little too confident and upbeat in that he did not fully show the characters’ quiet, smoldering, and some what social inept dimension. I believe Colin's Darcy is so much beloved because he gave us enough of a peek beyond the wall, erected by Darcy to contain his true feelings, to reveal the multi-dimensional complexity of the book Darcy, which is not an easy thing to accomplish. Would I have different opinions if I had not first read the book and then seen P&P 2 and following that P&P1 & the 1940 film on cable? Possibly.

Nothing drives us readers more crazy than when a book is adapted for film and then we sit in a dark theatre and think, who are these charachters; this is not close to the book? Alternately, when Hollywood casts properly and the film is on point but the ending is changed, softened to be more palatable, then that will make us crazy. One quick example--Matchstick Men with Nicolas Cage. Brilliant casting all around, stayed with the spirit of the excellent dark crime novel, and then [add an expletive] changed the hard, true life ending to tie it up nice and neat so we would leave the theatre happy about the twisted culture of con-men and their cons. GAH!

Well, I wrote too much--sorry. The photographs above prompted me to finally and--only once--jump into the fray; of course, I expect and respect there are other views on these matters. Thanks for letting me finally reveal my thoughts.

Stephanie

Stephanie, thank you so much for your views on the various Mr Darcy's! Admittedly, I loved MM as Darcy, but I agree with you, he wasn't haughty enough. I think Colin did that better.

I enjoyed reading your ideas on it. Thank you for sharing.

Marie, I re-posted your link with the html tag, so that there's no need to copy and paste it. Lovely clip!

youtube

Renee thanks for your comments. After I posted my comments I looked at the Darcy comparisions and youtube and then I started vacillating because I do like MM as an actor.

Marie I just looked at that youtube clip and thanks; I really enjoyed it. The Lady Catherine comparisons with the overlay of the music from the Grinch was hilarious--"you are a mean one Mr Grinch."

Also, I laughed when I saw Caroline from PP2 in 2 ORANGE outfits. In alot of FF Caroline is described as wearing organge but I hadn't seen my PP2 DVD in a long time so I couldn't actually recall her clothes in detail.

Another youtube video shows the 2 Carolines while playing the Outkast song "Roses," which is on point and hilarious.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ERF7Kw5xiGI
Here are some but not all of the lyrics:

ROSES--OUTKAST
[Verse One - Andre 3000]
Caroline! Caroline!
All the guys would say she's mighty fine
But mighty fine only got you somewhere half the time
And the other half either got you cursed out, or coming up short
Yeah, now dig this, even though (even though)
You'd need a golden calculator to divide (to divide)
The time it took to look inside and realize that
Real guys go for real down to Mars girls, yeah!

[Chorus- Repeat 2x]
I know you'd like to thank your s__ don't stank
But lean a little bit closer
See that roses really smell like boo-boo
Yeah, roses really smell like boo-boo

[Verse Two - Andre 3000]
Caroline! See she's the reason for the word "_itch" (_itch)
I hope she's speeding on the way to the club
Trying to hurry up to get to some
Baller or singer or somebody like that
And try to put on her makeup in the mirror
And crash, crash, crash.. into a ditch! (Just Playing!)
She needs a golden calculator to divide (to divide)
The time it took to look inside and realize that
Real guys go for real down to Mars girls, yeah!

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL VIDEO FOR THE SONG; IRONICALLY IT IS THE SAME TYPE JA CAROLINE; GO FIGURE:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GDtg8hvHDwo

STEVIEB

"Doesn't he deserve better than Meg Ryan in that hideous haircut?" Ellen, It's like you can read my mind!

I don't know that Richard Armitage people are discussing here but based on his photo, I'd like to see him in something. Quite attractive!

This is a fun thread.

Unlike you,Stevie, I have many times stated that CF is the one and only Mr Darcy. I posted JP's picture thinking of my Richard Fitzwilliam in LCT, mind you!

MM confessed he did not read PP the original. He only read the script, and he decided that Mr Darcy ( in complete disregard of the title of the novel)was merely shy.

CF did the opposite. I must say that there is a lot of SLO's manners in CF's performance. Perhaps he watched the gentleman's interpretation to get inspiration.

Smouldering, burning fire in his eyes. CF is invincible in Mr Darcy's role.

MM is a very handsome young actor.Very talented too. I love the way he stammers his love confession in the end, and that almost kiss in the park. But neither would have been Darcy's manner of accomplishing those matters.To me he is not playing Austen's Mr Darcy, but someone else's interpretation.The film should have been named "Shy and Flatchested."SmileyCentral.com

SHY & FLAT CHESTED :)

Eli,

Thanks for taking the time to explain: "MM confessed he did not read PP the original. He only read the script, and he decided that Mr Darcy (in complete disregard of the title of the novel)was merely shy." I wondered about his approach to the role. But yes MM's proposal was nicely done. However, the pride, arrogance, haughty aspect was totally missing. In fact, MM's Darcy seemed like a nice sweet guy even with the horrendous first impression. Therefore, he did not require a lot of at Pemberly and post visit to Pemberly improvement.

Re your SHY & FLAT CHESTED, comment, LOL funny :)

STEVIEB

You have this confsion on line or in the DVD under special features.

Renee,

Thanks for the re-post. That's better. It was the first time I posted anything on this forum. I'm relatively new to fan fictions and has been enjoying your site tremendously. Thanks for the wonderful work.

Stephanie, I am glad you like that little clip. I enjoyed reading your views about the comparison of CF and MM. I think "one dimensional portrayal" is a good description of MM, although it was probably adequate for the movie, and he is very pleasing to eyes.

Welcome aboard, Marie! Glad you enjoy yourself here.

Renee, thank you so much for posting the Beau Brummel video! I can't wait until we can get it on DVD in the states. It looks wonderful!

I couldn't help but think of the Zoolander 'walk off' between Derek and Hansel when Brummel and his friend ran into 'yesterday's' dandies on the street! I'm still laughing. What fun!!!

You have all the fun there. We have to wait for years until these trthings reach us or spend a lot of money buying through Amazon paying taxes through opur nose! Life is sooo unfair!

I was very amused by Stevie B's posting of the lyrics to the Outkast song. Renee, have you ever had a thread for song lyrics that we associate with P&P? Here's one from the one-hit wonder Hoobastank, which always calls to mind Darcy's letter to Lizzy:

"The Reason"

I'm not a perfect person
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know

I've found out a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is you

I'm sorry that I hurt you
It's something I must live with every day
And all the pain I put you through
I wish that I could take it all away
And be the one who catches all your tears
Thats why i need you to hear

and the reason is You

and the reason is You [x3]

I'm not a perfect person
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know

and the reason is you

I've found a reason to show
A side of me you didn't know
A reason for all that I do
And the reason is you

What a fun idea, Ellen.

I've created one. Here it is... song association

Melissa asked me to post this picture for her, which I do with the greatest pleasure. It's one of my favourite moments...

It is a pity one of my favourite moments is not in the movie!!!

A moment of your imagination or the book, Eli?

My imagination of course!!!SmileyCentral.comAusten's book was perfectly reflected in the BBC series.

This is my first time to post something here, but the pics have so inspired me that I simply can't resist. I may be the only one who thinks so, but I think that Clive Owen would make a fabulous Mr. Darcy. Those dark curls, smoldering eyes, and strong jaw can just make me swoon. He looks particularly delicious in King Arthur, and he has just done an advert for Lancome's new men's fragrance called Hypnose. The caption for the photo reads, "The hypnotizing power of seduction", and trust me, you won't be able to tear your eyes away. I can't find a picture for right now, but I will continue looking and see if I can't come up with something. Just thought that I would share my musings with ya'll.

A warm welcome to you, Cara, I hope to see you often!

Clive is a little too old now to play Mr Darcy, I think, he's 43, but in his younger days he would have made a worthy Darcy to be sure.

Yes. Clive is now too old to play Darcy. Neverthless, OMG he is hot and seems to get hotter ever year. I think that may have to do with his film performances getting better and better with experience and confidence coming across.

Renee if you have some great pics of him please put some up.

Love Clive,

STEVIEB

OK, my dear, one more Clive pic...

Sweet!

Merci

STEVIEB

Did you know three of these men are born in October! Clive, Hugh, Matthew... Collin almost made it, he is late September. Also Ioan Gruffudd (Oct)aka Horatio Hornblower. His picture or he was mentioned somewhere on the site as well. All have a dark mystery air about them! Oh yes the one eyebrow raised thing too!

Actually Colin Firth is an early September birthday boy! - he was born at 10th of September..!

Re: Defending MM's performance

I am afraid I have to disagree with the above reagarding Matthew Macfadyen as not being haughty or prideful enough to be Austen's Darcy. I just watched the film again last night with someone who has never read Austen's novels, heard of fan fiction or seen any of the films... and she got the character right way. Not to offend, because I realize all of this is in fun, but Colin Firth looked way to swarthy and sweaty in PP2. Macfadyen looked manicured and unusually handsome. I thought his subtle interpretation was spot on perfect. But that's just my opinion. I noticed someone else wanted to know where you can find more MM photos; I know that on ebay frequently there's an offering of a disc of "Images of MM" with over 3000 images of him in various films and photos. I bought one-- great way to have many of his images so easily available. I think it came from Greece.

Christina, I loved MM as Darcy, as I loved Colin Firth in that part. They're quite different but I cannot tell which interpretation I like best. I consider CF more byronesque, a dandy, while MM has more the character of someone who appreciates the wild nature of the north.

Yesterday evening I watched a small part of the 1995 BBC series, hadn't done it in a long time, and again I was enchanted. But it is a little dated (after all it's twelve years old) and, thanks to new insights and cinema possibilities, the new movie * regardless of the actors' performances * is at least visually way more attractive to me.

I have seen both 1995 and 2006 versions of P&P. Although i think Colin Firth's Darcy has pictured the character in perfection, i still found some parts of the movie more attractiove in the new version. You can also see the difference in the new BBC adaptations of period dramas. North & South and Jane Eyre being the examles. The way of directing is different - not because of the director , because of the time. Under that light, i also agree that P&P 1995 seems a little bit aged.

Hi Christina,

I appreciate your thoughts regarding my comments concerning the P&P. Before I had jumped into the fray, over the past two years here and there I had read comments regarding the film & the performances. So, your comments were not a surprise. My home town and favorite film critic, Roger Ebert, of the Chicago Sun-Times viewed the film as perfection. See http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051110/REVIEWS/51019005/1023
Roger Ebert acknowledged that he never read the book. Therefore, the film is a "stand alone" for him in that there was no information to distract from his view of the film.

Since I wrote the comments posted above, P&P has been in heavy cable rotation. In other words, when I have channel surfed through the cable channels morning and night I have come across the film and often stopped to look at key scenes. MM's performance has grown on me. I always liked MM's Darcy. The question for me, of more importance than MM’s physical appearance, was whether MM portrayed JA's Darcy? But, there is always that sort of question when one has read the book from which the film is adapted. There is a sensuousness and endearing quality about MM’s performance. I never doubt, however, that he is taken with Lizzy.

JA's Darcy is not supposed to be initially likable. His arrogance has garnered the dislike of residents of an entire county. JA presents her Darcy in a manner such that we would agree with Lizzy's assessment that he is a pompous expletive. For that reason, Darcy had a lot of rehabilitating to do. JA sets her story up like that.

I have always thought the look of the film/cinematography is outstanding. Comparatively, P&P 2 was a television mini-series with low production values. It did not have the look of a film or like one of an HBO series such as "Rome." The money wasn't there. However, what many of us liked about P&P 2 when we saw it in real time was that the performances were spot on. At the assembly when Mrs. Bennet is speaking to Darcy regarding whether he likes to dance (which is not in the book) the screenwriter shows Darcy's arrogance and disdain for his company by having CF simply walking away from Mrs. Bennet while she was still speaking. During that mannered period of time, & in a social situation, simply turning one’s back and walking away while someone is speaking to you is well below the standard of acceptable behavior? It is ungentlemanly, which was a term that actually meant something in that period. A stranger too acting like that was simply bizarre. CF's Darcy really needed rehabilitating.

Note, however, regarding the film, there are changes from the book I like, such as the proposal scene in the rain. There were those who criticized that scene by arguing that it was more in keeping with Charlotte Brontë's emotive novels. I thought the scene was beautiful and symbolic of the depth of their emotions. Likewise, for the same reason, the kissing scene at the end of the U.S. version of the film was criticized. I loved that entire scene where we get a glimpse at their life together at Pemberly.

One point I tried to make in my comments is that when one has read a book which is adapted into a film there is a hurdle in the reader's mind that must be surmounted because expectations are set. Even small book to film deviations in details can throw off one's enjoyment or focus when watching the film. Here is such a detail. When Lizzy walks from Pemberly to Lambton, every time I see that scene I think what the expletive!? Lambton is five miles from Pemberly! We are to believe Lizzy walks five miles over unfamiliar terrain and Darcy didn't acknowledge the inappropriateness and, more importantly, danger of same? Now, if I had not read the book, I would have merely thought the scene was added to underscore Lizzy's independence and the fact that she took that course because her mind was so unsettled at abruptly seeing Darcy.

Finally, there are those who did not like Keira Knightley as Elizabeth. I loved her performance and would say more but . . . yes . . .I believe that due to my last statement I need to stop now because boulders are being launched my way. Seriously though, we readers go into a film adaptation of any favorite book with our preferences and expectations and there is always a dialogue about same that follows. Another major example for me was when I went to see “Lord of the Rings.” Of course, I had read more than once J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit and “The Lord of the Ring,” therefore, opening night of the film I, my husband & eight year old son were there, along with other similar geeks. You see, I have a great fondness for JA’s novel Pride and Prejudice but I have always revered Tolkien’s “Hobbit” and “Trilogy.” I did not weigh in on the debates that followed the release of the first film but, yes, I had thoughts, many, many thoughts.

In sum, I find the dialogue about books and films fun and interesting. Moreover, such passionate discussions only serve to underscore that it is wonderful being a reader in that books give us a special world to inhabit and brings fellowship with those that share are interests.

STEVIEB

Dear girls, I appreciate your opinions, I sincerely do, but this thread is meant for pictures and Mrs Darcy likes it to stay that way. So, post at your heart's content, Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen, Laurence Olivier... or whomever you would like to see as Mr Darcy.

You can post your opinions on the various movies here

Thank you!

OK. Sorry Renée.

STEVIEB

Don't worry, Stevie, sometimes it happens that a thread gets hijacked, so to speak.

For the fans of either Darcy two scrumptious pictures...

Nice!

That picture of Colin is adorable! He looks like he's just about pushing it over the top with arrogance and trying to hold back a laugh...Sweet!

This is one of my favs, Rita! I love that cheeky, if not smug look. Like he's just done something naughty.

Oh Oh oh love this picture of Collin Firth!!!
Thank youSmileyCentral.com

You must see this clip, it's such fun!

Renée!!!!

I feel so dirty after watching that! I swear, I just watched some porn -- the music, the montage of shots, too funny! LOLOLOLOL Even the way it was all grainy fit!!!! You've soiled my sweet innocence forever!!!

Tracey

You've soiled my sweet innocence forever!!!

Yeah right, Ms. Action and Reaction!

I thought it exceedingly funny... and naughty!

Has anyone seen the movie Amazing Grace? I wish the director of P&P3 had asked Ioan Gruffudd to play Mr Darcy (no offense to MM fans -- he is handsome and endearing and all that. I just think IG would suit my image of Mr Darcy better).

Here are two of IG photos on imdb:
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/2510/IoanGruffu_Kambo_2999442_400.jpg
http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/0344435/ioan13.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Gruffudd%2C%20Ioan&seq=20

Trailer for Amazing Grace on youtube
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Cv5P9H9qU

1 2 3