Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Eye of the Beholder by Ellen G

Chapter 12 is up, my dears. Enjoy... but don't forget a hankie. Mrs. Darcy needed one!

This was a very interesting chapter, Ellen. Mr. Hampton's admonishment of Elizabeth for spending time alone with Mr. Darcy at the same time that she is spending time alone with him! Elizabeth's thoughts on whether or not physical beauty would be necessary for her to fall in love...thinking only in the context of Darcy rather than Hampton. Mr. Jone's unwittingly generous revelation regarding Hampton's ultimate mission of Nova Scotia. I'm certain that Darcy can find a clever and diplomatic way to spill those beans to Elizabeth....and what will be her reaction??

Will Darcy be sans bandages for the ball? I imagine he will wish to be away from the majority of guests but still looking his best. I don't want Elizabeth to be shallow enough that Darcy's looks persuade her unduly, but it seems only fair for Darcy to be able to claim some advantages in his confused and distressed state. The man deserves a little break!

Thanks for the lovely post, Ellen and Renee! I truly enjoyed it....

P.S. Does Bingley know about Wickham and would his name make it onto the guest list for the ball?

Oh, I cannot wait for the ball. Please, do post soon
I hope Darcy will get his chance to talk to her. I hope he will know better then to propose like in JA's Hunsford.
I'm very disturbed by Lizzy's thoughts about Wickham. I hope Lydia or Colonel will share something about him that will cause Lizzy doubt him a bit at least.
I hope that even if Darcy spoils his proposal, he will get a chance to explain Wickham AND doctor's plans for Nova Scotia...
I'm almost sure doctor wasn't going to tell her before the proposal, as he thought about proposing this afternoon in the pallor. I doubt it contained explaining his plans to her...

Thank you for another wonderful chapter!
I understand Lizzy is young and naïve but I wish she was a little more concerned about men’s mind and intelligence, an a little less concerned about beauty. But perhaps I’m biased – I must admit I don’t like Wickham and I love Darcy.
Dr. Hampton… “my dear” – what is he thinking! Insolent man. In a way he’s even worst than Wickham. Wickham is a scoundrel, but at least he knows that (even if doesn’t share this knowledge with others). Dr. Hampton seems quite pleased with himself. And the way he was describing Lizzy in his letter. Sure, he admitted she’s witty and beautiful, but also quite robust. Godness, she’s not a cow!
And the ball! I can’t wait to see what you have planned for them! I would love if Lizzy could dance with Darcy (dream on)

Ellen, Wonderful job, this is such an enlightening story. Poor Darcy to finally realize that he may never see again and possibly disfigured, that would truely be devistating. My heart goes out to him. And then to learn of Mr. Hampton's plans for Lizzy to be taken far away from her family to a formidable place after there marrige. I hope Darcy acts on this before it is to late.
Again wonderful story I can't wait to read on. julia42

Oh I would so like to slap the dreadful doctor
Cheeky ****** not to be alone with Darcy, but can be alone with him.......grrrrrrrrrr
I am soooo loving this Darcy, great chapter AGAIN Ellen

One more thought came to me, that I must share...
Please, please, please, do not allow Darcy to say to Lizzy while proposing, that he would not propose if he were not probably blind. It would be so... bad of him to say so.

Okay Ellen--

Oh . . .Oh . . . You [and your sister in angst, Eli] have me on the rack with your stories. The torture! The spasms! The pain! No one knows how I suffer! Mrs. Hill's smelling salts would not revive me.

Rather, I need you to give Mr. Darcy back his PEEPERS so he can mount an offensive.

Great Chapter!!

STEVIEB

I love this chapter! The realization Darcy has that he loves Elizabeth ("He loved her, and he was immediately choked with the emotion of it" is brilliant!), and his distraction by his own thoughts suddenly getting him very lost. The tiny victory he has (managing to calm himself long enough to reorient himself) even in his depression is terrific and very Darcy-esque. There are so many fascinating possibilities for this story...I want him to get his sight back, but to let him continue blind would be an incredible plotline...this is a fabulous story!

I believe I'm more excited about this ball at Netherfield than any Bennet, including the missus, could be. :-)

Hmmm, no one seems to be a big fan of the doctor's now, despite all the good he's done for Darcy. Could it be because he's being a bit presumptuous, taking for granted that the lady will soon be his (and acting as if she already is)? Or because he has a certain amount of power over Our Hero?

BTW, StevieB, I loved the smilie . Wish I'd seen that one sooner!

I think the doctor is a little blinded by love and thinks a little selfishly that the aim justifies the means...

No, he won't deliberately hurt Darcy, but he might find a sly way to keep Lizzy out of his way...

For [Expletive] Sake no Surgery on Darcy's Eyes & Darcy Sees His Souls-Mate

Ellen,

Re: For [Expletive] Sake no Surgery on Darcy's Eyes & Darcy Sees His Souls-Mate

Yes. That blindfolded smiley made me laugh too. It is so on point.
I forgot to add that the book about EYE SURGERY for [expletive] sake gave me pause. Surgery of any kind was primitive then. "Surgeons" with their dirty, stinky, infected hands cut off limbs of soldiers and others due to gangrene all the time. We now know that they didn't know what the [expletive] they were doing. And, the pain involved in surgery then . . . well that is another long discussion.

Moreover, as a nearsighted person (in a profession which constant reading and writing), who has followed the improvements in eye surgery to correct my vision limitation and has not committed to the surgery because what the [expletive], the process would have to reach the error free level before I let anyone [expletive] with my eyes. I make that pronouncement despite the fact that my doctor brother-in-law had the surgery 2 years ago and lauds his new vision and the success of his story.

Hence, no [expletive] surgery on STEVIEB'S eyes & for [expletive] sake no surgery on Darcy's eyes!

Furthermore, that doctor is no longer to be trusted. It is time for him to pack his long-johns; purchase some huskies for his sled (mush, mush you huskies. . .) and move to [expletive] Nova Scotia. (Not that there is anything wrong with Nova Scotia but envision what it was like during that period. Yes. I know the whole husky bit is over the top as its average high and low temperatures are similar to my own Northern U.S. city. Yikes! Don't want the Nova Scotia people after me).

Finally, I too like the idea of Darcy falling in love with Lizzy for reasons well beyond the fact that he has been told that she is pretty. Rather, he is captured by her voice, compassion, intellect, wit, charm, and what he perceives as her passionate nature. Darcy has reached a point of self-awareness where he knows that while he could very easily secure a pretty or even beautiful woman for his wife, finding his souls-mate, a woman with the coalescence of attributes that Lizzy has is rare. This certainty Darcy finally feels has been expressed by others in the following manner:

“Out of Sight” by Elmore Leonard:
He--“It's like seeing someone for the first time, and you look at each other for a few seconds, and there's this kind of recognition like you both know something. Next moment the person's gone, and it's too late to do anything about it. It maybe happens a few times in a person’s life."
She—“Or once”
He—“Or once”

“The Task, Book VI. The Winter Walk at Noon” by William Cowper
"But not to understand a treasure’s worth
Till time has stolen away the slighted good,
Is cause of half the poverty we feel,
And makes the world the wilderness it is."

“Bridges of Madison County” by Robert James Waller
“I have one thing to say, one thing only; I'll never say it another time, to anyone and I ask you to remember it: In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live.

When I think of why I make pictures, the reason that I can come up with just seems that I've been making my way here. It seems right now that all I've ever done in my life is making my way here to you.”

In Darcy's time of need, when his common-sense is finally as heightened as his senses are due to his visual impairment, he envisions the possibility of achieving marriage with his souls-mate where they share a common understanding and commitment to marriage like thus:

"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness."
[from the film "SHALL WE DANCE"]

STEVIEB

Thank you, StevieB, for your lengthy and very thoughtful reply.

I, too, am a very nearsighted person and have not submitted myself to Lasik, despite the temptation, because I am extremely squeamish about anyone messing with my eyes. My DH had an experimental ocular surgery some years ago, just before Lasik became available, and it was unsuccessful. Fortunately, he still has his eyesight, but it was a painful surgery with a lengthy recovery period, and it would have been far better to have waited for something more perfected, as you point out.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm aware of the shortcomings of the so-called surgery that took place back then. (And that's all I'll say about this now. )

Don't worry, sweetie. In my stories, angst or no, things happen for all the right reasons. Hang in there!

Ellen,

What a wonderful chapter! Darcy has finally admitted to himself that he loves Elizabeth! I just hope that these two can manage to come together without any serious "misunderstandings" between them. They have enough between them at the moment, in the form of Wickham and the Doctor. This injured Darcy is already partially humbled due to his loss of eyesight, but I just hope he can stop thinking of himself being "better than" Elizabeth!

Great job! I can't wait for the next chapter!

Brandy

Ellen;

What a wonderfully achingly enticing story you are telling!

I say, "Here, Here" to all that the very eloquent STEVIEB has said, I concur totally. StevieB you had me in stitches, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Please give us hope for our Darcy at the ball!

Thanks Ellen & Francis for your comments.

Sorry for the long post. Ellen your inventive story, which requires Darcy to act and react while in his state of imperfection, + the great comments of others simply brought certain thoughts to mind re self-awareness & recognizing the necessity to act to achieve happiness. I like how your are developing the character of this Darcy without his crutch of perfection.

STEVIEB

Tell Lizzy how you feel Darcy!!

Ellen

Thanks for another marvelous chapter. The 'good' doctor is showing himself to be not very trustworthy, if he could consider proposing so soon. He's being very territorial--it's good that Lizzy was so irritated by his remarks about her attention to Darcy. I'd hope that Darcy recognizes that he has to drop Hampton asap--the man can't be trusted to treat him impartially. Will the colonel notice anything???

Excellent that Mr. Jones gave Darcy that important information about Nova Scotia (one of the best aspects of that is that if D does reveal it to Lizzy, he'd at least have Jones as another witness). Will you jump to the Ball next??? Curious as to what you have planned for Wickham.

Seems that a Lizzy/Darcy match is being threatened on all sides (not least of which is apparent reluctance of the heroine. )

Always looking forward to the next post.
Cheers,
Margaret

The Ball! They must speak at the Ball... Really. Right? Meh!

After all that, I do love your writing, Ellen. Just the angst of a wip for me.

I, too, am a very nearsighted person and have not submitted myself to Lasik, despite the temptation

Here's another one... I will never dare! As longs as my contacts work (soon I will have bifocal contacts) I will stick to that...

Yikes! I would love it if Wickham showed up at the ball and Colonel Fitzwilliam tore him apart. It's also time to get rid of the doctor!!! I hope that Lizzy and Darcy can talk at the ball. So many possibilities...Thanks!

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the Doctor may be a sick old bird, that likes young girls? (in a molester sort of way) Please give Darcy back his eyesight. P.S I'am really enjoying this story, Keep up the good work!

I'm starting to feel about Dr. Hampton the way I do about Mr. Collins. He needs to go far far away and leave Lizzy alone!

Speaking of......are we going to see (haha) Mr. Collins in this story? Maybe he and the doctor could cancel each other out, leaving Darcy for Lizzy! :)

I like the doctor but he is being too presumptuous. Talking about his bride and going to Canada. She just might not accept you, Sir! Please get Darcy better soon or at least make Elizabeth break off her relationship with the doctor. Very nice chapter, Ellen. Thanks!

Yes a great new chapter indeed. I liked how Lydia and Kitty nearly but not quite let Wickham's name out in front of the Colonel. Will you keep teasing us with near exposure, Ellen?

Will you keep teasing us with near exposure, Ellen?

Perhaps you'll find out in the next chapter.

Hold on to your bonnets, my dears, chapter 13 is up. Enjoy, despite the angst...

Darcy to the rescue!! thank goodness he's in the library and i can't wait to see him become Lizzy's knight in shining armour! This is good, killing 2 birds with one stone - wickham's flaw is exposed and a chance for Darcy and Lizzy to meet again!

The Colonel is one muddle head

Very nice!

STEVIEB

Oh, how sweet! Darcy is there to save Elizabeth!!

Ellen, your history is so great, is one of my favorites!

Darcy the White Knight to the rescue!!I love it!

Ellen...excellent chapter! NOw hopefully Darcy will tell Elizabeth all about Dr.'s plans to leave the country and Wickham's shameful past. Maybe he can even give Lizzy a hint about his feelings?!

I'm so in love with this story. I look upon it like an illicit lover--I'm so happy when you post and then I'm in agony until you post again.

I really like the turn of events and the way the characters are woven. Great work and as always, I look forward to more.

YES! I love that final bit--Darcy gets to be the rescuer and hopefully Elizabeth will reward him with a kiss. :) I'm looking forward to the next part of the story!

Aaaacck!!!! Hoo boy....let's hope that Wickham is true to his cowardly self and runs away before he realizes Darcy's infirmity. Elizabeth's reputation may be salvaged since she was not technically alone with that cad.

Oh, Renee! We need a hand-wringing emoticon! What a cliffie, Ellen!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It is such a challenge waiting between postings....

.:gasp:. what an awful place to leave it! I'm going to be thinking and thinking and thinking about it until you post again - will Darcy's voice be enough to scare off Wickham? will his blindness get in the way (and bring up more questions of self-doubt about his ability to do his duties and his responsibilities and to protect those he loves)? Hopefully Elizabeth pops Wickham a good one, too.

And here's to hoping Jane pops Col. Fitzwilliam a good one on the head. Perhaps he's letting his own friendship with Elizabeth get in the way. And he told Darcy that JANE wasn't paying attention to the things he said!

OOOOOOOHHHHHH! I can hardly waiting for the next chapter I do hope Wickham gets what's coming to him! And they express there feelings. Looking foward to more cliff hangers

I love it. The ending is great.

There I see two options now.
One is that Wickham flees and Colonel and Jane come upon Darcy and Lizzy in the darkened room - it's enough to make her compromised by the right man
Two, Wickham realises Darcy is blind, and Colonel comes to rescue. But it's such a sad option, for Darcy is humiliated and Lizzy is more after Colonel than before (taking into consideration his increasing interest in her).

Of course these are only my musings, and I'm sure to love whatever Ellen offers next.
Can't wait...

Hmmmm.....Mr. Darcy to the rescue??? Only Ellen knows.....

Excellent, excellent chapter! Please, don't let Wickham to hurt blind Darcy!

YES! Darcy to the rescue. It's so dark, maybe Wickham will be so scared of Darcy's voice that there will be no confrontation. Oh, this is getting good!!! Keep the chapters coming, please. Cindy

Ellen

What an evil cliffie! You have us imagining all sorts of things to happen in Chapter 14. (BTW, if you switch the setting to Hampton's son in Nova Scotia, we'll never forgive you! )

I vote for Darcy the Champion, although how you'll arrange that I will not try to guess.

The Colonel's misunderstanding of *which* Miss Bennet has Darcy's interest is irritating (just as you planned, you evil author!)

Needless to say, we would all be very happy if you were able to accelerate the rate of posts. (Blame it on your story-telling ability)

Cheers,
Margaret

Ellen,

WOW, what a cliffhanger! You are really getting good at leaving us wanting so much more each week. I don't know how much of this story you have written already, but I would love an update here a bit sooner if possible. I think Wickham has shown his hand to Elizabeth. Thank goodness Darcy was sitting in the dark and could hear what Wickham said about his cousin and sister to Elizabeth. That will help him to know that Elizabeth was not a willing party in this secret meeting. Oh PLEASE Ellen, more, more soon!

Hurray for Darcy! Hopefully just his voice will send Wickham packing, and then Darcy can tell Elizabeth the true story. I do want to throttle the Colonel, though, for his obtuseness over the Misses Bennet. I can't wait to see what you have in store, Ellen! Thanks Ellen and Renee for the post, and I hope more is on the way.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Who is it? Mr Darcy, the Dr or Col Fitz? Cliffe angst!

Alright go get um Darcy, protect and win the heart of your Elizabeth, She can't stop thinking about you either. Great Job Ellen G please don't make us wait to find out whether Wickham has wet his pants or not. Love your story!!!!!!!!!

I hope it was Darcy but I really don't care who it was. Preferably it was someone with a sword tip poised at Wickham's vital organs. I am sorry for Dr. Hampton but Elizabeth just doesn't care for him the way he cares fo rher. He just needs to move on. Thanks for the new chapter, Ellen. I am so enjoying this story!

This is one of my favorite WIP. Please post again soon Ellen G.

Big kiss to all who commented!

And thanks, Rita, for that great photo!

Sorry I'm not more regular about posting, but life and the kids (not to mention the three other stories that I beta!) take precedence.

In July I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, and then what will we all do? Any readers out there from Detroit or environs?

Well, if it is Darcy, I hope his kicks Wickham out and then they get caught! Oh, I do lurve forced marriages!!!

I will be in Detroit in August, going to a baseball game with my grandparents. We are taking them there to celebrate their 60th Wedding Anniversary. WooHoo!

It did not occure to me, that it may be not Darcy in there. However I see it in a couple of last comments, that some readers think it a possibility.
But I do hope it is Darcy after all.

Even more reason to wait for the next impatiently...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10