Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sins of the Fathers by Jan H

Agree with the others that it is really exciting to have a new story by Jan H., a very talented writer!

What a riveting, painful beginning! I agree that there are discrepancies that may finally be found to break the sibling connection between Lizzy and Darcy: George Darcy's note not mentioning he is the father--the differing causes of death for the apparent mother. In the meantime, what tortuous paths will have to be followed by our favorites???? We readers will enjoy every last twist!

*fastening my seatbelt*
Margaret

Thank you so much for your comments! As for questions concerning the plot, all I can say is stay tuned for further developments. Yes, I am almost finished writing the story, and I estimate it will be about 16 chapters.

I must give a big, big thank you to so many in the JA community who have helped me get this thing off the ground. Alison, Ali, Lynne Robson, Julie C and Leona at Firthness, friends at DWG, and RoP's archives have all answered many, many questions for me.

Without my wonderful, patient betas, Ellen G, Debbie S, and Linnea to keep me straight, I would have produced a much poorer story. And, of course, lovely Renee has been a tireless source of encouragement. She's like a writer's quintessential, personal cheerleader!

If things go as planned, I will post on a regular basis.

-Jan

Oh my God! I could hardly believe what I was reading! Awesome, but definitively heartbreaking beginning. As many before me, I see the loophole in the note and absolutely refuse to believe they are indeed siblings. My brain supports it with many crazy theoris about Elizabeth's real parentage, so please post quickly, I really can't wait to learn the truth:) My only complaint is that 16 chapters sounds short... but on the other side it means we will not have to wait too long for the explanation :D

I loved it! I'm so happy to see another Jan H. story, because I have enjoyed many in the past.

How awful to be in love with someone and then have evidence presented that you are his sibling! Well, I hope she is actually someone else's child. In fact, I have confidence that she is actually someone else's child and perhaps Lady Catherine knows the truth, but wishes to use the note as leverage in this way to get Darcy to marry Anne.

What a wonderful, though angst-ridden, story. I thought I would throw my theory into the ring as well. Could it be that Mr. Darcy was a middle-man to another family member's scandalous behavior. Please say yes! I just can't bear the thought that they are siblings. However, I have loved all of your stories and trust you. Thank you for posting this. ~ Tiffany

WOW! GREAT START AND INTERESTING TWIST. CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE.

A new story from the fabulous Jan is always a welcome sight. The dramatic introduction and a no less dramatic (and traumatic) unraveling of events got me hooked immediately. Eagerly awaiting your next post. And thank you so much!

Jan

I have loved every story you've written, but this is the first time I've come in on a WIP, which is such fun - especially knowing it's almost complete from your POV!

This is a fantastic beginning, and a really original approach. I can see lots of angst and mystery, but I am also confident that you will not let our favourite couple be left in this dire situation. Having Lizzy as Darcy's 'sister' for a while though does open all sorts of other possibilities for them in terms of getting to know each other better from a different perspective... I cannot wait for more!

Thank you so much for this!

Sandra P.

Having Lizzy as Darcy's 'sister' for a while though does open all sorts of other possibilities for them in terms of getting to know each other better from a different perspective...

This is such a lovely thought, Sandra!

And Jan, thank you for your kind words, I'm flattered. Rest assured though, that I'm exceedingly happy and proud that you are a part of Mrs Darcy's circle.

It's finally here, Jan, your highly anticipated new story . I have always love how you relay your stories on a 1st person basis, it really pulled me into them that i really feel for elizabeth.

There must be some mistaken identity in the letter. Can't wait to see how you unfold the whole plot and ease the lovers' pain!

Yes, Gio, I meant to comment on that myself. I don't know of any others that I read that write in the first person, and it's so refreshing but also as a writer such a challenge, because you are relying totally on one person's pov, but also you need the skill (as Jan has in abundance) of letting that first person acknowledge and observe signs in others that although they don't reveal feelings etc to the narrator, they do to the reader.

It's a hugely admirable talent!

Here we go again! I can't wait to figure out the truth behind Elizabeth's parentage. I would also like to think that the elder Darcy was a middleman for a good friend. Jan, thanks for posting the new story! I could read your stories over and over again!

Maybe Darcy will turn out to be not the true son of Darcy Sr. or maybe Lizzy will turn out to be the illegitimate daughter of Wickham Sr. and Darcy Sr. was covering for him. Then again my skills at weaving a story are quite ill. And yet, like Lizzy, I find myself with a pain in my stomach also, now. Love all Jan H.'s stories and so looking forward to this latest addition!!

I agree this is a fascinating, though painful new twist to the conventional storyline. I'm so excited to read a new story by you, Jan, it's always such a pleasure! I agree, all cannot be as it seems, but it makes my head hurt to think of what it could really be, and who is the man in the prologue? Is it Mr. Darcy or someone else? It's all so puzzling, such a mystery - it makes me want to keep reading until it's solved! I've loved everything you've ever written, and I too trust you, in the end this will all be worked out someway - and it will be quite a ride! I long for more!

Thanks,

Julie L.

I just wanted to comment that this story impelled me to write up a list of questions- about a dozen--of plot points that are left as cliffhangers from the first post. I can't think of another story that has offered so many mysterious cirumstances from the very beginning. Excellent job, Jan!

Godness, I just came back from the weekend with my in-laws and what do I find…

Well, I don’t know what to say. Before I read the story I read all the comments. At first it was like SmileyCentral.com but then, when you guys began to give some reasonable explanations for this situation, I’ve decided to give a try. And now all I can say is that I categorically refuse to believe that they’re sibling. That cannot be. SmileyCentral.com
Usually I’m trying to avoid angsty stories, but – d**n – I got hooked. I hope you will able to post frequently.
As to the title: “Since of the Fathers” – why plural? SmileyCentral.com
Great beginning!

Basia

Jan, you are one of my favorite FF authors, and I am very happy that you are giving us another tale! I shall try to be patient, as I see you have left us and our beloved protagonists many possibilities for a better outcome than they can foresee at present.

Carol

WOW! Lucky day... a new story from Jan H.!!!! AND... what an intriguing beginning! I'm mustering up all my considerable optimism on this one and look forward to more.
Thanks!

Kim

WOW! This is going to be one heck of an interesting ride!
I have my theories too, and am anxious to see your story played out.

Thank You,
margb/tikkip

Wow! What a suprise . . . Jan this is a different approach to anything I have read!!

I reread the first bits to see if I work out anything but I agree with everyone there has got to be a loophole . . . I was also thinking Wickham Snr but why would Anne be disappointed??

I eagerly await the next chapter!!

As soon as I saw at Firthness that Jan had posted a new story over here I had to get over here ASAP to read it and boy I wasn't disappointed.

What a beginning Jan!!!!! Like others I have numerous ideas about who Elizabeth's real father is. I sincerely doubt it is George Darcy but feel it could be either the Earl or Wickham Snr. I feel so much for Elizabeth and Darcy to finally find your soulmate and have them ripped away from you. To have what you most desire dangled in front of you for all time and told you can't have it is so cruel.

I can't wait to see where you go with this Jan

Clare

a very distrubing concept and beginning "I can never see Darcy and Lizzy being sister & brother"
how could you put them through after all the happening throught out the book.
I hope this is one major misunderstanding, but since it progress this far I doubt it
I will read this and see the outcome, perhaps when it all posted, meanwhile best of luck writing this one

Thank you so much! I really am relieved that you are intrigued by this story. I've debated back and forth with myself on whether to ever post it, as I feared being strung up on the nearest tree for even suggesting the impossible dilemma facing D&E.

As for 16 chapters being too short, note that I do write long chapters (or at least they're long to me when I'm struggling to come up with a sensible sentence!).

"Having Lizzy as Darcy's 'sister' for a while though does open all sorts of other possibilities for them in terms of getting to know each other better from a different perspective..." Sandra, you have seen exactly what I saw when the idea for this story struck me, and isn't this what we all want - for D&E to get to know each other better?

Basia, as to the word "Fathers" being plural, in Chapter 2, Lizzy tells Mrs. Gardiner that she is angry with both fathers - Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bennet. She feels as though both have sinned against her.

Just hope that as the story unfolds, it manages to answer all other questions.

What a wonderful bunch of readers - so smart you'll figure out the plot way before I want you to!

-Jan

Ah, I see that Hangnhu and I posted at the same time and I was right - someone does want to string me up for what I've done to our wonderful D&E. That's okay - I'd probably wait until this entire thing is posted before I read it, too.

-Jan

I'd probably wait until this entire thing is posted before I read it, too.

You're too funny, Jan!

"as to the word "Fathers" being plural, in Chapter 2, Lizzy tells Mrs. Gardiner that she is angry with both fathers - Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bennet. She feels as though both have sinned against her."

Well, I thought it might be that. I had doubts because, living in a catholic country, I consider sin as something truly very errant or immoral. And – even if I do understand Lizzy’s anger - I just can’t think of what Mr. Bennet did as something dishonest.
Your replies gave me hope that…
Basia

You're right about Mr. Bennet, Basia. I can't see that he's sinned either. However, Lizzy is angry, hurt, confused, and heartbroken about the whole situation and especially Darcy. I fear that it colors her reactions for some time to come, but then, all leading characters do need to change during the story's journey, so keep your hopes up.

Thanks for your comments - like those of my other readers, they are intelligent and full of insight.

-Jan

Thanks, Jan. You're to kind.
I’m terrible ashamed to admit that somehow I’ve failed to read your other stories. SmileyCentral.com This morning I rushed to them, read them hungrily, and now I’m completely besotted with Darcies you described in both, The Journey and An Arranged Marriage. Nothing remains for me but to show it with my favorite I-love-this-Darcy-smiley: SmileyCentral.com
Good luck with the new one.
Basia

Oh, Basia - you are in for a treat; I loved both those stories and envy you reading them for the first time!

Enjoy....

Wow! That's one way to keep Darcy and Elizabeth apart...minor problem here .:eep:.

I say that Elizabeth turns out to be the Earl of Matlock's daughter: (1) the circumstances would break Lady Anne's heart, as in the letter, and (2) Matlock is in the north.

The added bonus is we needn't worry about Col. Fitzwilliam marrying Elizabeth, too! :-) (I love the colonel, but he needs to stay away from Lizzie.)

But man, what a way to put Darcy and Elizabeth through the wringer!!

Jan
Wow what a change from canon. I look forward to seeing how you resolve this huge glitch.
Please post more soon.

Geri

Wow! What a heartbreaking premise to use for a P&P fan fiction! Right from the get-go you have ratcheted up the angst-o-meter to ten. When Lizzy talked to Darcy in the woods and said the "I'll never get what I want" line (I'm paraphrasing), the romantic tension was just sizzling!

I've been eagerly waiting for your next story, Jan H., having read and re-read and re-read all the others, so I'm delighted to begin another one of your works. Thanks for all your hard work writing such compelling, enjoyable stories!

Wow, this story is just starting off really great. I really love angst, especially when the author promises to try post regulary. I just love to think: "will today be the day we will learn more?" And I really admire your writing Jan. It's just gripping and so well written.

Hi Jan,

Here I am hovering, lurking, on tenterhooks, caught in your web & tethered to the board awaiting my chapter fix.

But, I will step away from the computer , work on deep breathing and . . . oommmh . . . oommmh

STEVIEB

Jan,
I surrender..can you imagine what a wimp I am when it comes to a WIP and super angst at that...I had peep and peep and read all the tips in this forum..and thought that I should read it when the word FINIS..COMPLETE appeared.or when you said you've finished writing...but but since I love ALLLLLLLLL of your stories....I surrender...I've read you story.........and as usual ..you can make me cry..but I love the idea of having D&E seeing each other in a different light and setting..and hope most of the yelling and all are done..but am not sure how to take it if there are other suitors in between before evil Catherine reveals the truth ..hmmm I been thinking could it be De Bourgh's daughter????

a lot of people are raving your latest story so I read and find it very intriguing in the least. Very unique and compelling and i hope there is a happy ending for D & E. There must be another twist to this twisted story. I can't wait to read more although I am angst wimp.
annj

Jan, it's your first story that I'm reading as a WIP. Thankfully I had the comfort of reading all the others as complete, but now I sit with the belts fastened, ready for the ride. Speculations galore! Hope to see your next instalment soon!

Dearest Jan!
At last your new fiction is here ! I just wanted to thank you for this cause as i've already told you in your last fiction you have a very unique way of inserting what i call dramatic passion in your stories...!
I love SOTF already and i'm expecting for more of your chapters sure that all will end well......
Oh, and it's a nice thought of giving us the number of chapters cause as much as i'm sorry for a beloved fiction when comes to an end, i can't stand either the stressing of clinging up waiting for some fictions that seem to have endless chapters........
Bless you Jan !

Maura, Sammie, Geri, Dina, Jeske, Stevie B, Ima, Annj, Sylwia, and Margo: Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm a little late in replying, but please know I am grateful for every one. All of you are beyond generous with your praise.

-Jan

What a great story! I am enjoying it very much!

Chapters 3 and 4 are up my dears. Enjoy!

Thanks Jan and Renee for the post. Just printed off the new chapters to take with me on a trip. I can't wait to get settled on our 5 hour drive so I can read. I'm so addicted. I'm looking forward to some more posts when I get back on the 21st. Cindy

Have a great trip, dear Cindy, and take every opportunity to enjoy yourself!

The moment I learned you were my sister, I determined to think of you in that manner. The past is now dead.
SmileyCentral.com This story is heartbreaking.
I possess the strongest of wills. But I possess the strongest optimism and I've decided to believe and patiently wait for the happy L&D together ending.
Great story! Sad, but great!

Basia

Something is very dodgy in the story. It doesn't quite fit. If they really are siblings, you've really manipulated one of the truest romantic stories.

BNie2, all fanfiction writers manipulate a story, romantic or not, that's what fanfiction is all about.

In this case I don't see why things wouldn't quite fit. Often things are not what they seem, and the information we have until now is not explicit. The main characters have drawn their conclusions, but are they right? That's the question still to be answered...

As much as I love Jan's writing, I think that I'm going to have to wait until this story is finished before I can read it. Otherwise, I won't get any sleep!

This is so upsetting, I read the chapters and after everyone I just want to cry! That they love each other as more than brother and sister is so sad, I do hope that they figure out the mystery. The horse riding scene though, that was lovely.

I am so looking forward to the next chapter.

Chapter five

Soph, dearest! You commented even before I announced it here, in the message forum... haha It's upsetting indeed, but I so enjoy the growing relationship between Darcy and Lizzy. They feel more and more comfortable in each other's company. And I'm so optimistic about the outcome...

Jan, I'm so happy you make as chuckle now and again too, it breaks the tension in a most delightful way.

They certainly touch each other a lot which is a privilege they would not be allowed were they not brother and sister. I actually thought the horse riding scene was quite raunchy!

No, they can't really be related that closely for even if they were cousins they could be married. My mind needs them to be together eventually.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7