Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sins of the Fathers by Jan H

Hi! I have loved ALL of Jan H's stories and didn't start this as I knew it would be torture waiting for updates so I'm in the enviable position of getting ready to read it start to finish. I'd love to print it to read though and was wondering if it is somewhere in a little more printable format. If not, I'm happy to read it online when I can either way!

Thanks to Jan H. for writing and to Renee for posting! Such pleasure you both bring to so many (and all the writers for that matter....)

if it is somewhere in a little more printable format

I'm afraid not, Maura.

What you could do, is copy the chapters and paste them in Word.

Jan,

Your story was mentioned last night in another forum by one of your betas, and, having read your other stories, I was intrigued enough to take a look. Luckily, I had decided to take Veterans' Day off and could sleep in, since I finished reading it last night at 2:15 am.

Congratulations on an excellent job. Just excellent. I have read many authors with multiple books published who have not done nearly as good a job on all facets of their work, especially the most difficult task, that of getting the reader to willingly suspend disbelief. You did it all, Lady. Good job.

Colin

I have many times said that you are one of my favourite story tellers. I concur with Colin above that the mayority of the online authors do many times much better than published ones. I enjoyed this ride immensely,though I confess at the begining I was a little uncofortable with the concept. But everything turned out very well in the end, except for the horrible treatment my dear Colonel Fitzwilliam has suffered in your hands. Oh, well. But at least he made it unscathed this time, and did not get kill in action or suffered a horrible death.
I sincerely hope you still have more passion in store to render in black and white. I will be more than willing to read anything you write in the future as always.
Big hug

What a beautiful story. from start to finish, excellent! I loved the epilogue, with Elizabeth reflecting on how a day can change someone's life.

In the midst of all the melancholy and passion, I found something that made me grin:

"and the colonel displayed not the slightest regret at having lost my hand, an affront to my ego I bore as best I could. "

Oh Lizzie!

I just wanted to tell you how I enjoyed Sins Of The Father. It was well written,exciting and I hope to see future stories from such an excellant writer.Keeping up with the stories to completion is a sure sign to me of a responsible talented writer,so please continue to bring us more of your story lines that are so intriging. Thanks,DLSchickel

Hi, I finished it yesterday but didn't have time to post. Just also wanted to be on the list stating my love of this story and your writing. I love how you write most of your stories in the first-person with Elizabeth's POV. It is very refreshing! I think this has been asked before, but if you do decide to write another story, have you thought about doing it from Darcy's POV in first-person? I know it may be difficult doing it from a guy's perspective but it would be deliously interesting. Thanks again for your wonderful writing and all of your hard work! KC

Great...just great! I'm sad that this story has ended, but it ended well. Thank you for sharing! When should we expect another story?

Oh, my, where to begin? I have so many people to thank, not the least of whom are all of you who have been so kind with your comments.

But first, I must thank Renee once again for creating this beautiful website and for including my stories here. She is beyond generous, supportive, and encouraging to writers.

Then thank you to my lovely betas who have slogged through all my mistakes and re-writes. To Ellen G, who was willing to clean up my stuff when she is so busy helping other writers and still finding the time to post her own wonderful story. To Linnea, who was my rock as well as my conscience. And to Debbie S, who never failed to write funny, cryptic reactions to my words along with all the corrections. You three are the best!

I also owe Ali a world of thanks for being my Irish rose. I couldn't have written anything about the Emerald Isle without her. Others from Firthness answered my queries about Catholicism in the time of JA, as well as how to get D&E to Ireland and back. Thank you!

Now, as to recent comments:

Stevie, you're a fairly new reader to my stuff, but a wonderful cheerleader! Thank you for all your support.

Jo, Gio, Juliet, and Annabella, your comments touched me probably much more than my story affected you. Thank you!

Cindy, I happen to like giving D&E boys, too - maybe because I have three sons (but then I also love my daughters). And you're right that this story could have ended a lot sooner if only...but then, I wouldn't have had near as much fun writing it. Thank you for your comments on this work and on past stories.

Annj, this ending is rather bittersweet. Since the entire tone of the thing was dark, I just couldn't give it a light, happy-happy ending. JIt didn't seem honest. Thank you for your many comments.

Sandy, I'm glad you appreciated my corny humor. I tried to inject as much as I could in such a sad tale. Thank you for noticing.

Tina and Maura, thank you for even thinking of printing this story to re-read. That is a true compliment.

Roberta, thank you for your comments and for hoping I write again. Right now, I'm afraid I'm brain-dead.

Colin! What a nice surprise to see your name! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my story in one big gulp and for your wonderful comments.

Eli, thank you! You've become such a beloved author that I'm quite flattered at your comments. Sorry about what I did to the dear colonel. This is the first time I've ever written him in a less than pleasant manner, as I really like him very much.

Leia (hope I didn't misspell your name), I'm glad you found a smile in the midst of the sadness. Thank you for your many comments.

DL, I'm so glad you enjoyed Sins. So far, I've always posted a story on a regular basis until it's completed. That's just the way I prefer to do it, personally.

And Catrina and KC, thank you for your sweet comments. Right now, I'm not working on anything new - just absolutely bone dry, nothing in my head. Oops, that didn't sound right, did it? KC, I did start a modern story one time from Darcy's viewpoint, but never got past the first chapter. I'd love to write one from inside his thoughts, but not sure I'm the person to do so.

Well, now that I've taken up way too much room, I'll close, still basking in the warmth of your dear comments. Thanks, everyone!

-Jan

Jan, my apologies for the delay in reviewing. I shall email you my full thoughts (and they are very full indeed) but I just wanted to record here that I have so enjoyed the ride of reading a WIP by you for the first time!

This story was superb. The plot was creatively presented, highly original and very gripping. The balance of the whole story from beginning to end was perfect. I think the Epilogue was just spot on... I really appreciated that it wasn't sugar-coated, that the live-changing aspects of the story and their impact upon Elizabeth became a part of her, changed her to some extent - I found it very realistic, and to see her strive for happiness beyond what her innermost fears were felt very true to the character of JA's original heroine.

As always in these later chapters, I cried several times, but some of them this time were happy tears!

Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us, and I long to hear that you have started work on a new project for a new year!

Sandra

Dear Jan H,
I would like to congratulate you for your great story. It´s unique. I have to say that I have read a lot of fanfiction stories and this is the first time I have cried. I´m not complaining, I mention it because in my opinion your writing is so good that I have felt their anguish and at the end their happiness.
Thank you for sharing it
Best wishes,
Sande.

Jan,

I have so many things to say and so little time! First of all, THANK YOU!!!! You always have been and always will be one of my favorite authors. Your stories are absolutely incredible, and you're the only author that has managed to make me cry.

I'm sorry that it took me so long to read this, but 1: I'm an angst wimp and 2: school was getting extremely busy right when the story started becoming happier. However, last night I found time to start it, and I finished it today. In fact, I couldn't back away from the computer. Thanks again, and I hope that you write more in the future.

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the ending (especially the final line about beauty as a parallel to the title) and the story overall. It's the most original barrier between Darcy and Elizabeth I've ever read, and the ride was fantastic.

Oh dear, im late. Even so Jan, let me thank you for this wonderful tale on my favourite couple. You did a marvelous job of keeping us hooked these past few months. And I have had such great time experiencing all that you put us through, the tears of joy and otherwise. So thank you for everything . Take a break and do come back with another wonderful story. You do know we all are waiting, dont you? Take care and God bless

Thank you, everyone!

Sandra, no need to apologize, thinking you are late in reviewing this. I got your wonderful e-mail and will respond soon.

Sande, Sammy, Sammie, and Vidya, I loved your comments. I hope I didn't make you cry too much, and I understand the fear of angst, Sammy. I rarely have the courage to read WIPs.

This week I sent the story to my oldest daughter who also loves to write. She said, "Oh, Mom, the ending reminded me of you – I have to say this – you lost love but found it again and because of that you never took it for granted." In just a few words, she said what it took me 18 chapters to write.

-Jan

My Thanksgiving treat was to read this story start to finish over my long weekend and I was not disappointed at all - I had to pace myself though in order to make it last (I'm the same way with chocolate! )

The story was wonderful, but I wasn't surprised as I do think that Jan H. is one of the very best among the D&L fiction writers out there. Jan, you have a remarkable ability to make the reader feel the emotions of your characters and I'm sure were were all feeling Lizzy and Darcy's anguish and despair at several points throughout the story. Similarly, there was elation when they looked each other in the eye to declare they were not brother and sister and the emotion and affection that was described as part of that encounter were also felt as well as read! Thanks for neglecting your housework to write this story, but more importantly, for sharing it with us!

Maura

Thank you so much, Maura! Your comment was a real treat for me.

-Jan

Lovely Story! I really missed reading at Mrs. Darcy. I'm so glad I've been given the time again to endulge in these beautiful stories. Thanks Jan!

Thank you, Jess! Welcome back to Mrs. Darcy's. She has some of the best fan fiction around.

-Jan

Sorry about what I did to the dear colonel. This is the first time I've ever written him in a less than pleasant manner, as I really like him very much.

Oh Jan! Never mind Richard. Our greatest hero will always be Darcy. Richard had his go in Love Calls Twice. Enough with that!
Your story was really lovely. I enjoyed every word. I only hope you keep writing. So I take it that your daughter writes too? Fanfiction?

Thank you, Eli!

Yes, my daughter writes, too, but not fan fiction. I've tried to interest her, but she's just too busy with RL to take the time. When she was at the university, she won first place in their annual short story contest! I think I was prouder of her than she was.

-Jan

Hi,

Over the last day or so I've read both The Sins of the Father and An Arranged Marriage, and I thought I'd let you know how much I enjoyed them. They were intriguing and gripping, and have made me want to read more P&P AUs (these were the first I had ever read).

Thanks for writing!

Lanta.

Thank you, Lanta! Welcome to the world of P&P AUs - there's truly a world of good stories by lots and lots of authors. Have fun!

-Jan H

Thanks for the great stories! I have found the perfect time to read them is when I am forced to sit still and nurse my baby -- makes nursing even more rewarding:)

Thank you, Helen! Your comment brought back fond memories for me of nursing my babies, but I didn't have fan fiction to entertain me then. Enjoy your little one.

-Jan

Absolutely marvellous! The emotion is conveyed so powerfully and so genuinely. Thank you so very much!

And thanks again, Rachel! You've done a lot of reading lately. I guess I do write about emotions a lot, something I'm well acquainted with.

-Jan

Jan H,
Wonderful!!! Bravo......Such emotion,such heart felt words. I always enjoy your stories. This will be one for the re-read folder. Thanks again for a wonderful read, and please continue to write.

Thank you, Maria! I'm glad you were able to plow through the angst of that story. I think it's probably the hardest of my works to read, so bravo to you as well.

-Jan

All of your stories

Hi Jan,

I have spent the past few days re-reading each of your stories. I love them all.

Please give us more. All of them were unique in their own way. "Sins" was perhaps the most moving but I enjoyed them all again and will continue to do so again in the future, I hope.

Thank you for your wonderful gift of storytelling.

We need more writers like you!

Sandy

How refreshing to read this beautiful story again.
You are indeed an excellent writer, Jan H.

Well, I must add, with the long break without new postings, I have been re-reading old stories and I am very pleased with the delight I take in doing that. So everything has a positive side!!!

Thank you so much, Sandy, and thanks again to Maria! You are making my holidays so bright with your generous messages. I've always said JA readers are the nicest people in the world, and I think that's worth repeating.

-Jan

Jan H,
Like all your other stories this one was a great read. So different from what I have read in the past.
I have to say I am glad I waited to read this when it was finished instead of a WIP. It was hard reading each chapter and having to stop reading because I had to go to sleep for work. You truly are a great writer, and I hope there will be more stories coming our way from you. Until then, thank you for your time and creativity. Hope to read more of your stories soon.

Jan, I have been following a WIP of yours and found your website. I discovered that I have read several of your stories, and I started reading Sins of the Fathers Friday night and finished it just now. I really loved it. I have some forums bookmarked, but you are the only author I have bookmarked.

I've just started writing (on DarcyandLizzy.com), and all weekend, whenever I needed a break, I pulled up this story. You are definitely one of my favorite JAFF writers. Keep giving us your beautiful stories to read.

Thank you, Robin! I'm glad you liked Sins of the Fathers, and I appreciate your kind and generous comments. Good luck with your writing, but be warned - once you start, it's hard to stop!

I recently re-read this story, and wanted to compliment you. It's awesome, and makes my Catholic Austen-fan heart glad. It does bother me a little that you referred to Peter Darcy as "old" when he cannot be more than 45 (if that)--and I do not think that even a 21-year-old would think someone of 45 to be more or less elderly! But it did not bother me enough to impact my enjoyment of your story, it only niggled at me a little. The emotion was beautifully conveyed, and I am sure that this will not be my last re-read of the story!

I hate to tell you G10vanna, I was just told by a 37 year old that I was old at the age of 53. And this a the 21st century. lol Great story Jan H!