Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Story recommendations

If you like a good laugh, I have just found in the old files of HG a hilarious short story called: Mrs Jane Darcy. Enjoy!!!

Christina, To Heir Is Human is posted at HG. The PDF is at Jack's page as well as at meryton. Yeah, it's a bit campy, but when you have a group project and some writers are doing there best to screw up the next victum, er writer, things can get crazy. (I should know, I tried very hard to control the other five and was given the name She Who Must Be Obeyed for my efforts, as futile as they were.) I will say that I think To Heir would make a great HBO show/made for TV Movie.

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Thanks for the explanation, LE! I've often wondered but were afraid to ask...

A six persons project, amazing! I've done one with two others, and I'm still surprised that it worked out so well (at least, I think so ) considering the time pressure at the time and the different personalities we are. It was an incredibly inspiring and rewarding experience.

It sure did, Renée!!
I loved it!!!

Linnea Eilleen -- A made for TV movie- would love it! That entire "twin fawns" costume scene, just sticks with me somehow! Lord, bless me... if I were to see it on TV! So delightful! (About your explanation of how the authors were trying to screw up the next in line -- how fun! It just shows how very talented these writers are, because it really ended up flowing well and was a successful story!)

Earlier this week, I recommended Sara Angelini's The Honourable F. Darcy and said it was at Lulu.com. I've since seen it at Amazon, too... You can link there through this website to benefit the maintenance of this site, too! So its a two-fer!

I loved it!!!

TY, Maria!

I've since seen it at Amazon, too... You can link there through this website to benefit the maintenance of this site, too! So its a two-fer!

Indeed, Christina, thank you! Sara's story is very popular, and it's always nice for the fans to have a printed version. More convenient and cozier to take to bed than a pc, right?

Hyacinth Gardens keeps popping up in this thread and i just thought i'd ask, does anyone know whats going on with this site? i've been trying to register for the last couple of months now and i havn't been able to. I'm dying to check out this site seeing as there are so many recommended stories on it.

Steph, I have no idea why the HG disabled the register function. But many of the stories posted over there - if not most of the wips - you can find at AHA in the meantime.

Big thanks to Sophie for the Slurry -recommendation, I had somehow managed to miss it on my earlier explorations of the AI, and have now really been enjoying reading it:) Darcy with a guitar and a nice pair of leatherpants, what could be better than that?

thanks renee, for the referral :). and also for slurry, which i have also been enjoying.

Hyacinth Gardens keeps popping up in this thread and i just thought i'd ask, does anyone know whats going on with this site?

I've noticed that the admins have solved the registration problem. You can register now and enjoy all the fun and fabulous stories in the gardens too.

I have been trolling for finished stories (as I am getting very jumbled keeping track of all the WIPs I am following) and I am sick that I have wasted so much time in not having read CONSORT WITH EVIL by Lisa L previously. It is described as Interbellum and the first paragraph starts very dark and grizzly. So that is what intially kept me away. Well! I am here to share that I am an hour into it and quite entrenched in this story. Lizzy and Darcy are quite enchanting as 1928 flapper-age people... with all the mystery and intrigue of Scottish castles and the such. But I couldn't concentrate without having shared my good fortune with the rest of you-- and hope if you have not read this, you will hop to it!

I want to recommend any of the work by ballpoint (Kent) That man's style sweells.Great humour and dark comments, critical of course, it's a man at the keyboard!Interesting to get into a man's point of view of the story. He goes for Happy endings. You can find his work at HG.

CONSORT WITH EVIL by Lisa L

Excellent recommendation, Christina! One of my all time favourites.

Thanks Eli for pointing out Kent. Doesn't he post at DWG as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Another story on DWG that is perhaps the best short story I have read, is "The Theater in May" by mariafaith.
The conversations/confrontations between Elizabeth and Darcy are particularly well written.

So as to keep the authors on this site happy, I must add, that I liked "To love unselfishly" (the Christmas Carol story) so much that I printed it out and bound it. I would rate this one as the best "medium length" It is a real gem!

Wow, thank you John! This is a great honour indeed.

And you're absolutely right about Mariafaith. She is a wonderful author.

I'd like to recomend Sharla's great story "The luxury gap" (http://pricklyprose.com/TLG/contents3.htm) . This is a modern FF WIP very funny and creative. The caracters are well written. Try it you'll be smitten.
"Ce serait génial", if you could have it in your wonderful site Renée

if you could have it in your wonderful site Renée

It definitely would, dear Cathy, but Sharla has her own site and she is a Firthness author. Excellent recommendation though, this story is considered as one of the best modern P&P retellings of the fandom.

I have to say that I love Amy I's Lassoed Heart's. It has to be one of my favourite modern rewrites of P&P.

Lassoed Hearts? Where is that?

I just read Ayden's Ebb & Flow. I sure Mrs Darcy can get that here, hint, hint!!

You can find Lassoed Hearts at the DWG, Christine. I didn't read it, but I heard many good things about it.

I love "The Theatre in May" by Maria Faith. She also wrote "By Every Civility in His Power" and "Curiosity and Correspondence" -- both excellent stories. I wish she would write more. They can also be found at Austin Interlude.

Thanks for all the story recommendations.

If you have time to go through a reading marathon - 148 chapters at present, WIP, Regency - then I highly recommend "Half Such a Sum" by Shelby at the Hyacinth Gardens. It is captivating and really well written.

I just finished Some Grand Design on HG and have to say just how much I loved it. It's a modern retelling of a 9 year old Lizzy and her father coming to Pemberley. Lizzy grows up with William, George, and Georgiana and becomes a 2nd daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Darcy. As always she and William can't see what's right in front of them.

Thanks for the recommendation, Mary. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never read one of Hyacinthgirl, the webmistress of the HG, but I'm sure she's very good. Lots of my friends told me.

I've always listed Some Grand Design as one of my favourite moderns! I should have that to recommend it here. It's not really 'canon' but it it's a wonderful story.

Tracey

Tracey, Thanks for the great recommendation-- I just spent a wonderful afternoon reading it, totally neglecting my family-- but selfishly enjoyed it just the same! True, it's not the cannon P&P/Darcy amd Elizabeth story-- but that never has kept me from enjoying good writing!! I totally enjoyed the characters and the story. What delicious angst, too!Excellent recommendation (I read whatever this community suggests...)

I love fanfiction.net

Some of the better stories on there are Love and Other Accidents (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2749813/3/Love_and_Other_Accidents) and Dangerous Curves (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2353649/1/Dangerous_Curves). As stated before, Face Down, by Greekchic, is an amazing story; I love it. ;)

I just discovered the Lord Dyfed Brougham stories. Remember Darcy's dashing, mysterious friend from Pamela Aidan's Fitzwilliam Darcy trilogy? Anyway, I just read Westmarch at Meryton Assembly/AI Printable stories -- and have also discovered more from the accolmplished writers, Gail& Tina's at AI originals. Lots of intrigue and passion; well written and a nice addition to my daily dose of Darcy & Elizabeth.

Thank you, ladies, for all your great recommendations... I truly wished I had more time! There's so much more than I could possibly read in my lifetime.

Obviously I love each and every one on Mrs Darcy's, but there's one author whose work is posted elsewhere and whom I simply adore: Kerry. She's IMO one the most talented writers of the fandom. Her stories are witty, intelligent and very sexy. . You can find her work at Firthness. She used to be very active in the fandom, but I haven't heard from her in years, unfortunately.

I recently found and could not stop reading "And Grace Will Lead me Home" by AshleyD B @HG-it is a wonderful modern-enjoy!

Thanks for the recommendation, Hopeless, I've heard more good things about this one. As soon as I have time, I'll visit the HG to read.

Mrs. D, If you do not mind me recommending another story... I just finished reading Consequences at HG. I fear that story is going to be stuck with me for some time. Part I is disturbing, dark, and high-angst which left me sobbing as I read it last night. The kind of ugly cry that makes one's nose run! (I was very much surprised by this as it takes a lot to make me cry, especially while reading ON THE COMPUTER!)Fortunately, Part II is all that the former is not! If you haven't read it, I think it's a must. (And it is a completed work; intelligent and well-written.)

Christina, I know just the story you're referring to and it is excellent! I love this author's other stories as well. There are another two that are completed and one more in the works

Hi,

I saw a couple of people have recommended Face Down on FanFiction.net. I just had to say, it is a great story… up to a certain point. The author just completed it, and the ending was completely unexpected.

I mean, heartbreaking, gut-retching, the reader is left sobbing on the floor unexpected. I just thought people should be warned, and if you are an angst wimp like me, you should not read the last chapter because you will be left asking why? Why did she have to end it that way?

I know not everyone is a fan of happy endings; I’m just disappointed the story took such a dramatic, grave twist.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mary. I'm an angst wimp and I definitely need a happy ending in fanfiction. I don't mind unhappy or open endings in works of literature, but our beloved couple must live forever and be happy ever after, as far as I'm concerned...

Indeed!! This should be noted by authors, me included.Fanfiction is also funfiction. Lest we should warn the readership.That is what spoilers are for.

hi everyone)

as Mary brought up the subject of "Face Down", I'm bound to add that I cried after reading it. It was just so... unexpected! Everything was highly enjoyable till the very end. When... well, i'm not here to spoil other readers' pleasure and enjoyment if they'll consider reading it, now am I? For it's really good.

Another good fanfic I wish to recommend is "Dangerous Curves" by Amy at Austen Interlude (now Meryton). Great thing!

I read Face Down last night after reading about it in this forum. I'll admit, sometimes I like the angst The roller coaster of will they, won't they. The tightness in my chest when I can feel the pain that Lizzy or Darcy goes thru.... I'm a sucker for angst

This story was wonderfully written and very unexpected. Thanks to everyone who has posted recommendations. I'm able to read new stories that I have somehow missed over the years

Hi, anyone know any good really angsty stories? Like "Affairs of the Heart"-type angsty? I just love that heartwrenching feeling when it gets super angsty!

By the way, I'd fully recommend "Affairs of the Heart" on AHA :)

The kind that leaves your heart bleeding? Well...maybe you are game for "A New Leaf" by Teg. But I suspect that you must have read that already.

Yes! Haha I'm such a sucker for angst!
Yeah I have read Teg's A New Leaf. Thanks for recommending it though!

Phoenix, A couple of my favorite angsty stories are: Consequences by Colin, Disguise of Every Sort by Susan,Happenstance by Abby, anything of the Bougham and Holly series by Gail and Tina, An Arranged Marriage; Sins of the Father, both by JanH; Of Sense and Education (I think its called.) And of course Tanya's WIP, Strange Bedfellows. Just a couple of my favorite nail biters that I hope you havent read yet!

One Drunken Night in Vegas

Blurb
Instead of a Hunsford proposal, you get a Vegas proposal with an inebriated Elizabeth and Darcy. What happens to these beloved characters in this very modern, what if, version of P&P.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3392578/1/One_Drunken_Night_In_Vegas

Please be aware that it is still a WIP...

Christina, thanks for recommending Consequences by Colin. I really never thought before how easy it would have been for all of them to be ruined and how crazy Elizabeth really was for denying Darcy the first time.

I think we can totally relate it to our own lives. Even small decisions we choose in life will effect our lives and many others. Kinda like being at the crossroads and trying to choose...

Trying not to repeat all the excellent recommendations, I will mention some other of my favourites (all completed):

A short but very funny story Pickled not Prejudiced by Teg (regency). It's a shame, she didn't make a bigger story of it, but still it is great, and I read it when I need a ff smile.

Very funny and cleverly written is London Outskirts by ballpoint (regency) - especially the first chapter, that for some time was a separate piece.

I enjoy offerings of AI/printable very much, and especially:
Overthrowing Such Schemes by Ali (regency) – around time of Netherfield ball Darcy find’s out he needs a wife and quickly – guess whom he chooses ;
Rainy Days by LoryL (regency) – give Darcy time to talk uninterrupted to Lizzy before Netherfield ball and see what happens;
A Most Civil Proposal by Colin (regency) – what if Darcy actually thought what he will say in his proposal?;
To Bear is to Conquer Our Fate by Shemmelle (regency) is the story I long put away, as it is not the pairing that we prefer (warning: not E&D!) - but after I got over my initial reaction I quite enjoyed it.

As for modern, I would recommend – overlooked I suppose because of the young age of the writer – For The Sake Of A Child by Bethany (modern) – due to the interesting and original idea for the story and the way our favourites could meet. I enjoy extremely how it hits Darcy, he was a jerk - not the Hundsford way of inflicting changes, everything is original in this story.

What better way to fill a long weekend... by rereading a bunch of P&P fanfic. Most of these are probably known to everyone but just wanted to get them out there again!

Modern:
For the Love of Life by AmyJ at DWG

Regency:
Only for the Deepest Love by MAB at AHA

The Only Way by Aleksandra at AHA

His Wife by Kathy Taylor at DWG

Bravenet.jQuery(function(){ var emojiConvert = new EmojiConvertor(); emojiConvert.img_set = 'emojione'; emojiConvert.img_sets.emojione.sheet = 'https://apps.bravenet.com/css/sheets/sheet_emojione_64_indexed_128.png'; emojiConvert.allow_native = false; emojiConvert.use_sheet = true; emojiConvert.init_env(); Bravenet.jQuery('.bn-forum-threads-post-comment').each(function() { var replaced = emojiConvert.replace_colons(Bravenet.jQuery(this).html()); replaced = emojiConvert.replace_emoticons(Bravenet.jQuery(this).html()); Bravenet.jQuery(this).html(replaced); }); });

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I would like to add one more which is a completed, well-written, and simply beautiful story.

Sarah's Story by kalinalea

Audrey,

Thanks for the recommendation of "Sarah's Story" It was so well written! I'll have to search thru the author's site for more goodies. Thanks again!

1 2 3 4