Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Story recommendations

Bim, One story that Georgianna is troublesome and extremely spoilt is By The Force of Instinct by Abigail Reynolds, which I believe is for sale at Amazon via a link thru this site.(: A very good read. Although Georgianna and even Mr Bennet's character are quite a departure from what we are used to, this is a terrific romance. And Darcy is definitely swoon worthy!

Thanks for your recommendation, but (un)fortunately, I've already read this one :)
Any other suggestions?

What about Rika's An Unexpected Song? Have you read that? It's still a WIP but there is quite a lot to read!Georgiana isn't very nice there, but she doen't cause too many problems to the couple. Actually, Georgie is terrible in the intriguing "The family circle"(at DWG), but I'm sure she is about to improve!

I just finished reading Consequences by Colin last night. WOW!!! Thank you for the recommendation, Christina. I think I went thru a half a box of tissue reading thru the first part of the story. What a great read and I would highly recommend to other readers. If anyone is interested, it is at HG and also PDF file at AI.

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post but I've been lurking here for quite a long time now. What compels me to come out you ask, after all these months. Well, I'd like to share with you a really delightful P&P fanfic I just read. It's still WIP, but it is worth the wait. The quality of writing is really good and the premise is simply delicious. So without further ado, I bring you "Not Every Gentleman" by HlBr from AHA

http://meryton.com/aha/index.php?showtopic=2128

Sorry I don't know how to do a link...

Does anyone know this story?
I recall that Lizzie was in a coma (I believe Wickham had to do with it) and Darcy took care of her, at first at the hospital (he use to oil her skin attending Jane on that task) and when she got out of the coma, she even came to his apartment. I remember the story not been finished at that time, but I cannot find it anymore.
If someone knows it I would be grateful for any hint.
Thanks a lot.

I know this..it is one of my favourite..it's Teg..Fragments..
http://www.hyacinthgardens.com/garden/index.php?showtopic=2294

Enjoy!!!

Ima

Thank you so much Ima. How could I have forgotten it???????

A warm welcome to you, Chrizel, and thanks heaps for the recommendation.

Dear Renée

I just got this mail from Rika concerning her story "An unexpected song". I thought to post it here for al her fans.
""To the many of you who have emailed me, or who have simply wondered
what's happened to me and to AUS, I apologize for being out of touch
for such a long time. I am alive, reasonably well (though at present
recovering from minor surgery), and I do intend to finish the story.

The past several months have been a challenge--a difficult
combination of work, health, and personal issues. I've felt
overwhelmed by life, and have lacked the time and the emotional energy
I need in order to write. (Though it hasn't all been bad--I was
fortunate enough to visit Scotland and Norway earlier this summer).

I particularly apologize for not answering the many emails I have
received. At first I couldn't. Then, as the emails mounted up, I felt
so guilty about not answering them that the thought of it overwhelmed
me. This is a poor excuse and I know it. I realize that many of you
have been concerned about me, and you deserved better than silence. I
hope you can forgive me.

I am presently re-reading the story and performing some chapter edits
and website maintenance in order to get back in the swing of things.
Then I will continue with Chapter 78. When it has gone to the betas, I
will publish an estimated post date.

Incidentally, we're nearing the end of the story. We have one subplot
to tie up, and then it's on to the wedding and happily ever after.

Feel free to share this message on any discussion threads devoted to
the story, and again, please accept my apologies. I'm not any happier
about it than any of you, believe me.

In case you've lost the URL, it's http://darymania.com/chr/news.htm.
I'll be updating that page with a posting estimate when I have a
better idea of the date. I've also collected a few goodies during this
hiatus, and I'll post information about those in that location.

Rika""

So, there is hope for a happy end to the AUS!!!

That's fantastic news. I was worried about her.

Thanks for your post, Maria. Her fans will be thrilled to know a happy end is nearing.

Bim asked about a story where Georgiana is spoiled. Clouds will Intervene has a Georgiana who, while not exactly spoiled, stirs up a bit of trouble.

http://www.hyacinthgardens.com/garden/index.php?showtopic=4285&hl=

Clouds will intervene is posted on Mrs Darcy's as well, Lue. And today I have a huge surprise for Sophie's fans... Just wait and see...

Thanks for those who recommended Consequences by Colin - I love the pdf documents and would have missed it since there are no indicators or alerts for additions in that list of available stories. I'm terrible at remembering names of stories that I've already read.

Consequences was a lovely story and the author's Darcy and Elizabeth were just lovely. Such a very clever take on the whole story with delicious "what ifs" ~ our authors never cease to amaze me!

One additional plug for the Austenland book in Mrs. Darcy's online store. Unfortunatley, I already purchased this from Barnes & Noble at the start of the summer and it was such a perfect summer read ~ the main character is really likable and we all would no doubt see ourselves in her in many ways!

So, help out the store and get yourself a good story at the same time!

Hope it is okay that I did this here, Renee!

Hello everyone!

Lately I've been catching up on some stories I downloaded many months ago but had not had the time to read yet, and I would like to recommend one of them:

The title of this fanfic is "Pemberley's Promise", and it was written by KaraLou (Kara Louise). It is a Regency What if, and you will be happy to know that it is quite a long story (160,000 words, according to the Jaffindex), so be sure to have some spare time ready to read it, because I just spend the last three days doing close to no work at all!

Initially, it could be found at DGW, but when checking the Jaffindex to give you the exact link, I was dismayed to find out it had been removed. It seems Kara Louise has had it published (which actually is good news. Congratulations to the author! ) and therefore you may only find it in paperback.

The links proposed by the Index are as follows:

http://ahhhs.net/publish (you may download it from this site, in a kindle format)
http://www.ahhhs.net/pmbprm3.html (in this site you may read the first three chapters)

If you happen to read those three chapters and find yourself, as I did, hooked, I would be happy to share my archives with whoever wishes to read it, provided the author is not contrary to it, of course. However, be aware that the paperback version is surely more polished than the one I have, which was downloaded many months ago from DGW. In any case, just let me know.

I would rather not give away any of the plot, but it is a refreshing twist on the original story, starting even before the Bingleys' arrival at Netherfield. It has some memorable episodes, and, if you (like me) enjoy having Darcy and Elizabeth forced to spend time together before they even know they fancy each other, this story certainly has some of that!

And... it is a PG! I know there are some of you that keep an eye open to PG stories. Well, in this one, you'll find some sexual tension (very well introduced, by the way), but no explicit encounters to upset anyone's tender sensibilities.

As usual, Elizabeth is delightful and extremely generous, Darcy is painfully reserved and Lady C and Whickam, a pain in the ***. No surprises in that area.

As a whole, it is a round, clever plot, apart from a couple of elements that struck me as slightly inconsistent (though that, of course, is a personal opinion), and it certainly has been stored away among the "goodies" in my hard disk... to the point that I'm considering buying the book!

Well, I'm sorry for the lenght of the post, but I REALLY had to share this, I liked it so very much!

Sorry, I meant "Wickham" there. Oh, my, what a day of blunders!

Back again! I really did not want to monopolize this thread, and you must know that I tried my best to resist commenting here today... but eventually I succumbed And, anyway, there have been no additions since August, so I believe I have been away for a reasonably long period of time.

My posts are usually long (sorry about that), but please bear with me this one more time.

PROLOGUE (this is just me "rattling away", you may skip this bit): I know I promised to re-read Jan's stories, and I honestly intend to keep my word on that, but today I was tired, and it was late, (and, let's admit it, I was craving for something new to keep my mind from Ellen G's latest Darcy ) and so I picked a relatively short and yet unread story. I have some archives that I download regularly and store away to read at leisure, when I'm home alone without an Internet access. The one on top of the list was The Art Removers, by Lise. This is a title which does not relate to what I normally would expect from a PP-based fanfiction story and I could somewhat infer the plot from it... but I had been avoiding the story for that very reason for quite a while and I thought I was being manifestly unfair to the author in not giving it a chance.

So I sighed, sat down with some chocolate and prepared myself for it.

Well, it proved out to be fantastic!

CRITIC: Really, those of you who are looking for the Darcy-Elizabeth and their getting together issue (amongst which I am included) will find that topic thinner than usual here. But do give it a chance. The story has an unexpected point of view, unexpected plot, and unexpected characterization, but it is clever... and funny. There are some truly funny moments. I was laughing out loud at some points. Chapter 19 is positively hilarious from beginning to end. 21 too. And so many others.

CONCLUSION: do read it for a change of topic or when you are in the mood (of need) for some good fun.

WHERE TO FIND IT: So far, I think that it can only be found in the Derbyshire Writer's Guild.

LINK: http://austen.com/derby/lise24.htm

End of transmission. See you in a couple of months!

Thanks so much for the recommendation, dear Rori! Lise is one of those JA/FF authors of the first hour and a star at the DWG... and my fellow country-woman.

I updated the site recently, but no, unfortunately no new stories... I had planned to start posting one of my own, but I fear there's no progress at the moment due to my heavy work load.

I can well relate to that, I'm having loads of work myself! Not that it interferes with my story writing (because I do none ) but I can't read as much as I wish to, and there are so many nice stories out there...
Oh dear Lord, give us days with a few more hours than merely 24!

Oh dear Lord, give us days with a few more hours than merely 24!

Alas, my dear, I fear your little prayer won't be answered...

Lately I caught up on An Unexpected Song.

I read it some long time ago (there was about 50 chapters then), and as it was mentioned somewhere above, I decided to check, what new was added to this WIP.

And I was so pleasantly surprised, when I found out, there were over 70 chapters now!!! I started from the beginning again, and I had wounderful time.

It's the best WIP ever - and the only one -I wish- would never end. The only "but" would be to receive chapters more frequently. However, if waiting some half year or year and rereading the whole story again to catch up on a few new chapters posted at the end is the price of having this story going on, I will gladly pay it.

Thhank you, Rika.

Dear Rori, when you recommended Pemberley's Promise,I wasn't sure about it, but after reading the first 3 chapters....well I'd like to know if I can access your archieve to read the rest of the story (if the author permits it, of course). Could you let me know, please? thanks^_^

Okey Dokey

Thanks^_^..but...how can I access it?

Have faith, my friend.... And check your e-mail account

Thank you

Dear Rori, can I ask the same for me... please???

Granted!

Can I join the line and ask the same, dear Riri???

Sorry, there was a spell mystake, Rori...

THANKS!!!

Dear Maria,

No worries, I'm well aware it's an odd name.

The distribution system is rolling. You'll have yours shortly.

My dears, I'm not sure what's going on here, but Karalou has published her story in print, so I presume that distributing her story by e-mail is something she would not appreciate, and I will be the last to promote such a thing on my site, for copyright reasons amongst other things.

So, I kindly request to not to post any requests for further ditribution of her story in this message forum.

If you like to purchase the book, it's available at Amazon

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sorry...that was my fault since I started the whole mess...I meant no disrespect to the author...sorry again

Dear Rori,

"Rori" is actually a nice name that was my failure having misspelled it!

Dear Renée,

tank you for letting me/us know it. I had no idea that the book is available. In any case I like if possible to read previously at least a chapter of a book before I decide to purchase it. Unfortunately I bought already some P&P fan-publictions that were not worth the price I paid for them... in comparison, there are a lot of wonderful stories that would deserve to be published and did not yet get the chance... also and specially in Mrs Darcy, where the author sellection is indeed one of the best!!...

Don't worry. my dears. I understand completely that you wouldn't want to buy without knowing a bit more first.

Admittedly, I haven't read any of Karalou's stories, except for one or two vignettes and those were very nice, sweet and romantic. She's a skilled author.

Indeed, she is!!!

There are a few chapters of some of Karalou's stories posted on her website:
http://www.ahhhs.net/klindex.html

Also if you're interested, I had the pleasure of interviewing her a few years ago and that interview is posted at Firthness, in the Writer's Forum:
http://www.firthness.com/pond/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=171&topic=14.0

Cheers,
Julia B

I did enjoy reading the interview, it was new to me.
Thank you Julia B. for posting the link, also to her Webside.

I switched on my computer this evening, just to see the awful mess I've caused. Dearest Alexiel, I will not have you blame yourself for something that is entirely my fault.

And, dear Renée, I would like to apologize for any unease I may have caused you with my thoughtlessness. The last thing I wish is to damage this wonderful site in any way.

Regards to all,

Rori

Don't worry, my dear, I know you meant well.

Hullo again. Dear Rori, I thank you but you have to admit...before my request no one asked you for the story(at least not on this forum)and in just a few hours...well you and I both know the rest.>_<
Thanks for the links and sorry again Renee

Dear Rori,

I don't think you caused any mess. I think you just opened new doors and perspectives. Many of us are now acquainted with a new story, a new book and even perhaps a new author, who knows?...
I am sure Mrs Darcy has also not suffered any major damage (right, dear Renée?????)... so, please do not blame yourself, dear, just see the good, that came out of it .

Our eagerness to read the lovely P&P stories makes us all forget all those web "rights and policies", isn't it so????

I am sure Mrs Darcy has also not suffered any major damage (right, dear Renée?????)...

Oh, no, absolutely not, and Rori knows how much I appreciate her input on this site. I do not blame anybody, I only felt I had to point out this matter for all our sakes, Karalou's included of course.

So, let's forget about it, and continue reading, posting, having fun... etc.

Following up KaraLou I came across a very nice story from Sharni, Connections, which is also worth reading.
Here the link:

http://www.ahhhs.net/connex.html

Last, not least (I seem to not let her go...) I found another very nice KaraLou's story: Getting with the program. For those interested:

http://www.ahhhs.net/programme1.html

For the joy of all, this wonderful fiction is finally complete!!!'Of Time Gone By' has been one of my favourite fics for some time and since the author finished it, (for those of you who can't wait to read that elusive 'the end' )here it is the link to this beautiful story (it may resemble 'in the eye of the...'housed on this site but it is different I promise you). Enjoy^_^

http://www.austen.com/derby/bekah.htm

Just found this amusing story at DWG's. The "wardrobe malfunction" that Mary and Collins experience is particularly humourous.

http://www.austen.com/derby/mege1.htm

I think Renee had asked for story recommendations outside of this site. Of course, all the stories on mrsdarcy.com are excellent and highly recommended but i do have to put in an extra plug for Abby B's Happenstance. It's extremely well written.

1 2 3