Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Story recommendations

One additional plug for the Austenland book in Mrs. Darcy's online store. Unfortunatley, I already purchased this from Barnes & Noble at the start of the summer and it was such a perfect summer read ~ the main character is really likable and we all would no doubt see ourselves in her in many ways!

So, help out the store and get yourself a good story at the same time!

Hope it is okay that I did this here, Renee!

Hello everyone!

Lately I've been catching up on some stories I downloaded many months ago but had not had the time to read yet, and I would like to recommend one of them:

The title of this fanfic is "Pemberley's Promise", and it was written by KaraLou (Kara Louise). It is a Regency What if, and you will be happy to know that it is quite a long story (160,000 words, according to the Jaffindex), so be sure to have some spare time ready to read it, because I just spend the last three days doing close to no work at all!

Initially, it could be found at DGW, but when checking the Jaffindex to give you the exact link, I was dismayed to find out it had been removed. It seems Kara Louise has had it published (which actually is good news. Congratulations to the author! ) and therefore you may only find it in paperback.

The links proposed by the Index are as follows:

http://ahhhs.net/publish (you may download it from this site, in a kindle format)
http://www.ahhhs.net/pmbprm3.html (in this site you may read the first three chapters)

If you happen to read those three chapters and find yourself, as I did, hooked, I would be happy to share my archives with whoever wishes to read it, provided the author is not contrary to it, of course. However, be aware that the paperback version is surely more polished than the one I have, which was downloaded many months ago from DGW. In any case, just let me know.

I would rather not give away any of the plot, but it is a refreshing twist on the original story, starting even before the Bingleys' arrival at Netherfield. It has some memorable episodes, and, if you (like me) enjoy having Darcy and Elizabeth forced to spend time together before they even know they fancy each other, this story certainly has some of that!

And... it is a PG! I know there are some of you that keep an eye open to PG stories. Well, in this one, you'll find some sexual tension (very well introduced, by the way), but no explicit encounters to upset anyone's tender sensibilities.

As usual, Elizabeth is delightful and extremely generous, Darcy is painfully reserved and Lady C and Whickam, a pain in the ***. No surprises in that area.

As a whole, it is a round, clever plot, apart from a couple of elements that struck me as slightly inconsistent (though that, of course, is a personal opinion), and it certainly has been stored away among the "goodies" in my hard disk... to the point that I'm considering buying the book!

Well, I'm sorry for the lenght of the post, but I REALLY had to share this, I liked it so very much!

Sorry, I meant "Wickham" there. Oh, my, what a day of blunders!

Back again! I really did not want to monopolize this thread, and you must know that I tried my best to resist commenting here today... but eventually I succumbed And, anyway, there have been no additions since August, so I believe I have been away for a reasonably long period of time.

My posts are usually long (sorry about that), but please bear with me this one more time.

PROLOGUE (this is just me "rattling away", you may skip this bit): I know I promised to re-read Jan's stories, and I honestly intend to keep my word on that, but today I was tired, and it was late, (and, let's admit it, I was craving for something new to keep my mind from Ellen G's latest Darcy ) and so I picked a relatively short and yet unread story. I have some archives that I download regularly and store away to read at leisure, when I'm home alone without an Internet access. The one on top of the list was The Art Removers, by Lise. This is a title which does not relate to what I normally would expect from a PP-based fanfiction story and I could somewhat infer the plot from it... but I had been avoiding the story for that very reason for quite a while and I thought I was being manifestly unfair to the author in not giving it a chance.

So I sighed, sat down with some chocolate and prepared myself for it.

Well, it proved out to be fantastic!

CRITIC: Really, those of you who are looking for the Darcy-Elizabeth and their getting together issue (amongst which I am included) will find that topic thinner than usual here. But do give it a chance. The story has an unexpected point of view, unexpected plot, and unexpected characterization, but it is clever... and funny. There are some truly funny moments. I was laughing out loud at some points. Chapter 19 is positively hilarious from beginning to end. 21 too. And so many others.

CONCLUSION: do read it for a change of topic or when you are in the mood (of need) for some good fun.

WHERE TO FIND IT: So far, I think that it can only be found in the Derbyshire Writer's Guild.

LINK: http://austen.com/derby/lise24.htm

End of transmission. See you in a couple of months!

Thanks so much for the recommendation, dear Rori! Lise is one of those JA/FF authors of the first hour and a star at the DWG... and my fellow country-woman.

I updated the site recently, but no, unfortunately no new stories... I had planned to start posting one of my own, but I fear there's no progress at the moment due to my heavy work load.

I can well relate to that, I'm having loads of work myself! Not that it interferes with my story writing (because I do none ) but I can't read as much as I wish to, and there are so many nice stories out there...
Oh dear Lord, give us days with a few more hours than merely 24!

Oh dear Lord, give us days with a few more hours than merely 24!

Alas, my dear, I fear your little prayer won't be answered...

Lately I caught up on An Unexpected Song.

I read it some long time ago (there was about 50 chapters then), and as it was mentioned somewhere above, I decided to check, what new was added to this WIP.

And I was so pleasantly surprised, when I found out, there were over 70 chapters now!!! I started from the beginning again, and I had wounderful time.

It's the best WIP ever - and the only one -I wish- would never end. The only "but" would be to receive chapters more frequently. However, if waiting some half year or year and rereading the whole story again to catch up on a few new chapters posted at the end is the price of having this story going on, I will gladly pay it.

Thhank you, Rika.

Dear Rori, when you recommended Pemberley's Promise,I wasn't sure about it, but after reading the first 3 chapters....well I'd like to know if I can access your archieve to read the rest of the story (if the author permits it, of course). Could you let me know, please? thanks^_^

Okey Dokey

Thanks^_^..but...how can I access it?

Have faith, my friend.... And check your e-mail account

Thank you

Dear Rori, can I ask the same for me... please???

Granted!

Can I join the line and ask the same, dear Riri???

Sorry, there was a spell mystake, Rori...

THANKS!!!

Dear Maria,

No worries, I'm well aware it's an odd name.

The distribution system is rolling. You'll have yours shortly.

My dears, I'm not sure what's going on here, but Karalou has published her story in print, so I presume that distributing her story by e-mail is something she would not appreciate, and I will be the last to promote such a thing on my site, for copyright reasons amongst other things.

So, I kindly request to not to post any requests for further ditribution of her story in this message forum.

If you like to purchase the book, it's available at Amazon

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sorry...that was my fault since I started the whole mess...I meant no disrespect to the author...sorry again

Dear Rori,

"Rori" is actually a nice name that was my failure having misspelled it!

Dear Renée,

tank you for letting me/us know it. I had no idea that the book is available. In any case I like if possible to read previously at least a chapter of a book before I decide to purchase it. Unfortunately I bought already some P&P fan-publictions that were not worth the price I paid for them... in comparison, there are a lot of wonderful stories that would deserve to be published and did not yet get the chance... also and specially in Mrs Darcy, where the author sellection is indeed one of the best!!...

Don't worry. my dears. I understand completely that you wouldn't want to buy without knowing a bit more first.

Admittedly, I haven't read any of Karalou's stories, except for one or two vignettes and those were very nice, sweet and romantic. She's a skilled author.

Indeed, she is!!!

There are a few chapters of some of Karalou's stories posted on her website:
http://www.ahhhs.net/klindex.html

Also if you're interested, I had the pleasure of interviewing her a few years ago and that interview is posted at Firthness, in the Writer's Forum:
http://www.firthness.com/pond/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=171&topic=14.0

Cheers,
Julia B

I did enjoy reading the interview, it was new to me.
Thank you Julia B. for posting the link, also to her Webside.

I switched on my computer this evening, just to see the awful mess I've caused. Dearest Alexiel, I will not have you blame yourself for something that is entirely my fault.

And, dear Renée, I would like to apologize for any unease I may have caused you with my thoughtlessness. The last thing I wish is to damage this wonderful site in any way.

Regards to all,

Rori

Don't worry, my dear, I know you meant well.

Hullo again. Dear Rori, I thank you but you have to admit...before my request no one asked you for the story(at least not on this forum)and in just a few hours...well you and I both know the rest.>_<
Thanks for the links and sorry again Renee

Dear Rori,

I don't think you caused any mess. I think you just opened new doors and perspectives. Many of us are now acquainted with a new story, a new book and even perhaps a new author, who knows?...
I am sure Mrs Darcy has also not suffered any major damage (right, dear Renée?????)... so, please do not blame yourself, dear, just see the good, that came out of it .

Our eagerness to read the lovely P&P stories makes us all forget all those web "rights and policies", isn't it so????

I am sure Mrs Darcy has also not suffered any major damage (right, dear Renée?????)...

Oh, no, absolutely not, and Rori knows how much I appreciate her input on this site. I do not blame anybody, I only felt I had to point out this matter for all our sakes, Karalou's included of course.

So, let's forget about it, and continue reading, posting, having fun... etc.

Following up KaraLou I came across a very nice story from Sharni, Connections, which is also worth reading.
Here the link:

http://www.ahhhs.net/connex.html

Last, not least (I seem to not let her go...) I found another very nice KaraLou's story: Getting with the program. For those interested:

http://www.ahhhs.net/programme1.html

For the joy of all, this wonderful fiction is finally complete!!!'Of Time Gone By' has been one of my favourite fics for some time and since the author finished it, (for those of you who can't wait to read that elusive 'the end' )here it is the link to this beautiful story (it may resemble 'in the eye of the...'housed on this site but it is different I promise you). Enjoy^_^

http://www.austen.com/derby/bekah.htm

Just found this amusing story at DWG's. The "wardrobe malfunction" that Mary and Collins experience is particularly humourous.

http://www.austen.com/derby/mege1.htm

I think Renee had asked for story recommendations outside of this site. Of course, all the stories on mrsdarcy.com are excellent and highly recommended but i do have to put in an extra plug for Abby B's Happenstance. It's extremely well written.

Thanks for the reommendation, EllePeat! Keep 'm comin'.

And I couldn't agree more with you, Abby's story is fabulous.

Been reading a Sense and Sensibility ff at christmas eve and had a great time. Think I can recommend all of u to go to this http://www.firthness.com/pond/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=301&Itemid=86&limit=1&limitstart=2 . I read it with a pail of vainilla icecream at hand. Both delicious.

Thanks for the recommendation, Malena. For the information of the visitors: the stories at Firthness are only accessible after member registration. Enjoy!

Unfortunately, dear Mrs Darcy, I realised only too late that the story is NOT complete. I blindly followed the tip given by a reader at AHA and did not check that tiny little (yet frustrating) detail. The author claims she had not abandoned it yet the last time she made an update was in 2004. Pity. The story is excellent.

I bet you mean Alison's, Malena? She has two w.i.p's over there, both unfinished.

JUst recently I read a very nice story at AHA "May I introduce Mrs Thornton" for those who like to know what happened after John and Margareth leave together to Milton (North & South). The author, LisaKZ, has also written other worth reading stories, specially "Pemberly's heart and soul: the early years" (WIP), which I highly recommend.

This is the link for Mr & Mrs Thornton'story
http://meryton.com/aha/index.php?showtopic=2251

For the fans of North & South fanfiction this is great news. Thank you, Maria. Í know LisaKZ as a very enthusiastic and kind person, and even though I didn't read her stories myself, I bet they're delightful.

Just because it fits perfectly, another sugestion to the N&S fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56fkMW6XRs

I cannot help but share this with you Renée and all of you ladies, Mrs Darcy fans.
This wonderful story HAS to be read:

"He continued to inhale deeply while trailing small kisses slowly down the inside of her thigh. His breathing was now as ragged as hers and she could feel a slight trembling in his fingers as he continued to tease her. As he wrestled with his self-control, Elizabeth silently prayed he would not stop, for if he did she would surely explode and she had no wish to die for his lips had finally reached their destination. Her entire body shook as his tongue reached out to caress her quivering flesh.

“This tastes like fresh pears, ripened on the tree, drizzled with spring honey. This is your essence, ambrosia from the gods, water to a dying man. I was dying…inside…slowly allowing myself to become nothing more than a hollow shell, until you possessed me, filled me and made me whole. I am yours, Elizabeth, utterly and completely, and all I ask in return is this…”

Elizabeth braced herself, for she knew the moment he said that word, the word that he had referred to over and over but had not voiced, she would become undone. She would surrender more than just a part of her body, but all of her. She now understood that was his object all along. He wanted it all; every inch of her body, every corner of her mind and the depths of her very soul. Everything he had offered to her, he now wanted promised to him in return."

This story is called My B.F.F. (a/k/a A Beautiful Friendship)
Modern P&P by Ruth
and here is the link:

http://www.meryton.com/rutho/BFF.html

Hope you enjoy it as I do. It is complete, btw.
Renée perhaps you could consider inviting her to your site. She is a great writer.

That's what I call steamy, love!

Thanks for the recommendation. I know Ruth O, she's a lovely woman. I believe though that she already posts her stories on various sites. At the moment I don't have room for new authors. Perhaps in the future.

A story I absolutely adore right now is a WIP by Linda called Fate and Consequences. It is posted at A Happier Alternative - http://www.meryton.com/aha/

The writing is excellent, the plot is creative and refreshing, and it's just a beautiful portrayal of Elizabeth and Darcy. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the update Audrey, will check it out.

I would like to also highly recommend another story by Linda (booknut). It is called Chance Encounters, and is available on the Meryton website in the completed stories section. It is also available in book form on Amazon. It is a totally delightful and amazing story, one of the top five JAFF I have read.

hello^_^It's been a while but I've just finished this amazing fanfiction called 'Not every gentleman' and you can find it at

http://www.austen.com/derby/hele1c.htm

I think most of you will love it even if it's a bit...unconventional hihihi. However, if you'd like to read it, you should look sooner rather then later as the author told us she'd take it off the site in the coming days. It's posted on more sites but I don't know any of them so if I've raised your 'Darcy-radar' high enough let yourself be enchanted by the story of Edward and Elizabeth (Darcy is there all the way)

Thanks for the recommendations, my dears!

1 2 3