Mrs Darcy's Message Forum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Copyright held by Renée OAll rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without prior permission of the administrator.

Gift suggestions from Mrs Darcy's Online Store

website design company page
website design company

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Abby B's Happenstance...

Eliza! You are too too sweet. You should write comments for a living. You are that good!

Looking back, I think I wrote this because I had loved so many fanfics (the poster who follows your first comment is right - there are so many wonderful fanfics for you to discover. Perhaps you're in the midst of discovering them already!) and wanted to see if I could do it too. Of course, I had my favourite storyline to work with (forced marriage scenarios between rock my world), but other than that, I had nothing except for a year's sabbatical from work.

I'm afraid once the fire had been lit and I extinguished it by finishing the story, I no longer felt the yearning to do it again. Besides that, it's really hard! All consuming in fact. So "Happenstance" is it for me. For now at least anyway.

But thank you for commenting. I love reading that this story is still being enjoyed. You have totally made my weekend!

Yay you!

I'm glad my comment made your weekend! Knowing that my words made you happy actually makes my weekend! YAY!

I've read a lot of fanfics since first replying to yours, but I still have a soft spot for Happenstance, lol. I'm actually considering rereading it. Also, I've had my own idea for a fanfic, but I'm not sure when I can start it, because I'm so busy with college.

Now I'm officially beginning to consider comment writing as a career, lol.

Abby,

This was fantastic! I have begun to read some P&P fan fiction that has not made it to paperback on-line, and yours is definitely in my top three favorites (usually depends on the day and mood of ranking)! I thought is was wonderful!

I was sad to leave them when it ended, I was almost hoping for more angst for Elizabeth after she realized she loved him! (Yes, just desperate for more!) :)

Anyway, any plans on publishing this? You have already a guaranteed buyer in me! I have purchased a few P&P fanfics from lulu.com. Not used it myself (from what I can tell it is self-published paper backs), but if you ever decide to publish, I would love to know!

Thanks for the great read!

What an amazing retelling! My head is . I had intended to read the first couple chapters last night, but ended up reading from midnight to 6am! As an English major, it is hard for me to read for the sheer joy of it. I just couldn't put your story down, which hasn't happened to me with a book a long time. Thank you for staying true to the characters. Their transformation from beginning to end was one I think Austen would have approved of. Thank you for such a wonderful read!

So glad I wandered over here because it appears I have some comment-leavers to thank:

Tallfleur: By writing that you were sad to leave this Elizabeth and Darcy, you have paid me the highest compliment! (I can't see myself ever publishing - self or otherwise - but much, much thanks for even suggesting my story was worthy enough for me to do so!)

Beth: Dear girl, you stayed up 6 hours reading my story? Get yourself to bed pronto! Thanks so much for such high praise - and from an English major no less! (yay for fellow English majors!)

Hey Abby,

I am in the process of doing a re-read on "Happenstance." I love this story and have just finished chapter 10. I gotta say, your Darcy is so very sure of himself and so arrogant and proud. He is the one who has caused all of this...yet...even when he thinks about things or spouts out some statement it is all based on what he wants...what his family wants...how things reflect on him. I don't see him every giving Elizabeth one iota of concern at all.

I love the way you have enhanced his pride and arrogance to coincide with his relatives. They, too, seem to be only concerned with their family name and how things will reflect on them. So much like Darcy, it's scary.

Of course, he can't see how Mr. Bennet wasn't concerned with her getting lots of money and fine carriages, only that she get a fair settlement...Mr. Gardiner was friendly and intelligent and was only concerned with her getting a fair settlement...and he seems to forget that Lizzy wanted to marry for love. He doesn't see his relatives as barging in when the knocker was up as being improper behavior...or that what he did was totally improper.

I had forgotten that Darcy needed a very big wakeup call here. I know Lizzy needs one too, but, given Darcy's arrogance and what he has caused to happen to her....can anyone blame her for being angry!

I'm anxious to get back into this story. I have forgotten so much!

Thank you for your wonderful story and for keeping it out there for many to read and enjoy.

Sarah
Loved the first few chapters. Darcy is such an a-hole and Elizabeth is so bratty lol. Nice.

OMG!

Perhaps he had been somewhat rude when pointing out to Elizabeth the defects of her family, but they well deserved his censure so he could not really regret voicing his thoughts in regard to them either. On nearly every occasion when they had been together in Hertfordshire, the Bennet family demonstrated some mark of impropriety.

I got to this part and just had to comment....Darcy of course still doesn't remember how his relatives have behaved, especially his aunt Catherine (and he had the gall to say to Elizabeth that he hoped she would forget what his aunt had said)....Oh My Darcy! You didn't do yourself any favors at all tonight!

I'm still reading!!!

Later!

I finally finished it! Yes, it is definitely one of my favorite forced marriage stories. So much angst and mis-cues and misunderstandings.

It really is a beautiful story. Thank you so much for writing it.

For years I've been meaning to read this story as I've met Abby in the flesh and she is a great person. However, Abby, as you know, by the time we met, I wasn't as interested in reading fan fic -- my obsession had waned.

So I come to this story as someone who is no longer sucking up fic after fic. So on its own, it's a very strong story, so well written... and I have to say it's way more angsty that I ever thought! Wow... you had me stressed out. When will those two crazy kids get some sense? However, I do realize they had a lot of growing and self-actualization to get through before they were ready to love. I'm just happy they were already married!

Very steamy, yet poignant love scenes and such a powerful bond they shared because they had gone through so much self-analysis. Thanks Abby!!!

Just now reading this. Only negative it the red background affect on my eyes. I love compromise marriage situations and angst so this story is right up my alley. With so much anger on both sides I wonder if they will even be able to say their vows and then how long before any other words will be exchanged or will the silence be deafening?

Hello!

Thank you so much for the review. I so wish I could have the background changed, but alas I fear Renee is no longer maintaining this site and hate to bother her after so many years have gone by.

Nevertheless, thank you for the lovely feedback. I'm back to reread the story myself after many years away from it. :)

Dear Abby,

I'm sorry, but it's true that I'm not really maintaining the site anymore. A thing readers could do though is copy the story and paste it in Word. The site will be deleted next year. So, if you don't have your story in your files anymore, copy it!

Hope you're well, dear Abby. Long time, no hear!

Many things have changed here, and in the meantime I've become a granny and published my first novel.

Love
Renée